Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

WOW - where did that year go.........

WOW - where did that year go.........

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WOW - where did that year go.........

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
I know you are just starting your roller coaster, but hopefully that night at mine showed you some good people here It did no doubt
....here is to your paperwork being processed quick now
Thanks for that, here's hoping eh
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Well what a first year for you guys! You've had so much to deal with, but know that you've faced it all with courage, determination and spirit. Like other posters have said....next year will be a better one no doubt, and you've seen this one through knowing that in spite of it all, your future lies here in Canada.
I admire you lots, and hope that if life was to throw me the curveballs that you've had, that I could face them with the same strength and courage. Your mum would be so proud!

One year down.....many more to come!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:26 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hugs xx and great post ...
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:42 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopster
Well what a first year for you guys! You've had so much to deal with, but know that you've faced it all with courage, determination and spirit. Like other posters have said....next year will be a better one no doubt, and you've seen this one through knowing that in spite of it all, your future lies here in Canada.
I admire you lots, and hope that if life was to throw me the curveballs that you've had, that I could face them with the same strength and courage. Your mum would be so proud!

One year down.....many more to come!
Thanks for that, i think you can only do what you can, i do look back and think what if, but i am glad i am here and i know my kids have the best people around them for there future. I think no one should make judgements in the first 6mths and it takes time to settle, since May of this year my life has really opened up, although we all miss my mum so much, we know that she would not want us to dwell on stuff.
Thanks does go to Mrs B and Mrs D this last few days, as they are like stars, they have helped me over some bad times when my head has been a mess, also a real kind canadian mom who we have got closed to...........
Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hugs xx and great post ...
thanks for that................hopefully i have given everyone karma
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about

Well a year in our new life.......where did that go

we started our journey some years ago, OH tried to get me to move some years ago and i refused as i couldnt bring myself to leave my family, then the offer came up again with a trip paid for via his company, so we thought why not........-32 in onatrio and little kids in tow, but we came back with the bug...
sadly that wasnt going to happen as the car industry was being hit, the company offered us america and we felt our dreams had been shattered..
we tried so many times to get into ontario and failed, so we thought give up.......but in the back ground i was talking to some people on here, we arranged another recci trip and came out to meet the people i had been talking to and also for OH to attend the interviews, we was lucky he got the 6 jobs and accepted one there and then........

we went through hell after that selling the house and got the house buyers from hell as well, we also went through the highs and lows of the family and friends...............but we managed to get on that plane and come out with just suitcases and some boxes to follow...

We settled into the canadian life well, made new friends and also walked from some friendships that we made via this site, some people should be left as pixels, but i suppose you only learn that once you have met them
Others we had met through her i neally lost, but thankfully to this day our friendships are so strong and they have been a rock to both me and my family. We have also made friends with so many canadians and our new life is so rich with people.........
So far my best friend has visited, my in-laws and then followed by my mum.......
Sadly my mum didn't like our new country, but she saw why we had moved and saw the kids with there new friends and there new school, the people of our town opened there hearts to her and she went home knowing that we was happy as a family.
I suppose looking back that was the turning point for me, she returned back to the uk ill, she had seen a doctor here in town and he had said there was more than what the uk doctors had seen.........she insisted on returning and getting treatment back in the uk...just afew days later i was advised that she had cancer and did not have long, that really broke me, knowing that i was so far away really hurt, but with good friends behind us i booked that flight and went over to the uk to see her, she had so much drama around her with her friends and partner wiping her out (or trying too) - i spent the week helping her move in with my brother and she was happy, looking at her she had aged so much in such a short period of time.

Just one week after returning she passed away, i was able to speak to her before she went and was able to tell her how much we loved her, that hurt so much.....
When we started our journey we spoke alot about this day, we spoke how we would cope, but i never expected to say goodbye to my mum so quick.
Returning back to the uk the second time in a year was harder, but with so many family friends around it made it easier on us, to have our network of friends be there for us has helped us as well........

So what will the next year bring us
I really don't know, we are going through PR, OH is happy at work, i gave my notice in before i went back to the uk, so i think a new job hopefully for me, the kids are all settled in school, we have plans set for the next few months, but after that we know as long as we are here we are fine....

I am glad we did the move, although no matter how hard it is, there is good and bad, no matter which country you live in.
When i was in the uk i missed canadian food, people and life
When i am in canada i miss uk food, family and GREEN grass (LOL)

But i have also learn't how to do back bacon, i have learn't how to bake, cook a different way, i have learn't that some people are so not what they make out they are, i have learn't that some people are just awesome.......
I have learn't that you do bad then karma will bite your butt and i am glad that i stuck to my strong beliefs even though some have tested me, my life is so much better for this year....

Now for the next year..............

LB
Hi im glad ive seen this thread ,i joined the forum because we are looking at emigrating to Canada .Weve discussed the move for the past twelve months and put it off for one reason and another .The forums great to get the views from people whove actually made the move and had the guts to do it,and to read of the various ups and downs theyve had making the move .
As ive said before on other threads we are looking for a better life for us but in the main our children.
The problem is my dad who has been poorly for a fong time and suffered one major illness after another and was diagnosed with skin cancer a couple of months ago .He has had the cancer removed but it has now spread .Due to his health problems and now this further set back he knows he is on borrowed time .He has battled so hard through the illnesses but i think hes now had enough .
The dilema is that if we are successful and move to Canada i probably wont see him alive again ,Canadas not just around the corner and visiting home especially after the move i would imagine will be almost impossible through one thing and another.
I know that when you move away a perfectly fit and healthy member of your family could pass away ,but when you already know your dad /mum is in a bad way it makes things doubly hard .
Weve spent many a time discussing this and its really pulled on our heart strings. Weve spoken to my parents about the move ,and they have given us their blessing ,but i cant help looking at my dad and wonder how i will feel if we are in Canada and i get that dreaded call .
I know life moves on and i know Canada will be a better life for us ,but the decision is a hard one ,weve made some enquiries about the move ,and really want to do it weve also looked at places closer to home but Canada really appeals to us ,good luck for the future
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by woodworker
Hi im glad ive seen this thread ,i joined the forum because we are looking at emigrating to Canada .Weve discussed the move for the past twelve months and put it off for one reason and another .The forums great to get the views from people whove actually made the move and had the guts to do it,and to read of the various ups and downs theyve had making the move .
As ive said before on other threads we are looking for a better life for us but in the main our children.
The problem is my dad who has been poorly for a fong time and suffered one major illness after another and was diagnosed with skin cancer a couple of months ago .He has had the cancer removed but it has now spread .Due to his health problems and now this further set back he knows he is on borrowed time .He has battled so hard through the illnesses but i think hes now had enough .
The dilema is that if we are successful and move to Canada i probably wont see him alive again ,Canadas not just around the corner and visiting home especially after the move i would imagine will be almost impossible through one thing and another.
I know that when you move away a perfectly fit and healthy member of your family could pass away ,but when you already know your dad /mum is in a bad way it makes things doubly hard .
Weve spent many a time discussing this and its really pulled on our heart strings. Weve spoken to my parents about the move ,and they have given us their blessing ,but i cant help looking at my dad and wonder how i will feel if we are in Canada and i get that dreaded call .
I know life moves on and i know Canada will be a better life for us ,but the decision is a hard one ,weve made some enquiries about the move ,and really want to do it weve also looked at places closer to home but Canada really appeals to us ,good luck for the future
My heart goes out to you, i really don't know what i would of done if i had found out before i moved........i know my mum wasn't healthy and i have been with her on many appointments whilst the doctor patched her up, i knew when i moved it would happen, but you never know when
I really found that msn,skype and setting her phone to sky so she got free calls, really helped, not just me but my family..........
I put this move on hold 7yrs ago and i kicked myself for it, but after finally doing the move i can say with hand on my heart we did the right move for our family...............

If you ever need a shoulder feel free to PM me

LB
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about

My heart goes out to you, i really don't know what i would of done if i had found out before i moved........i know my mum wasn't healthy and i have been with her on many appointments whilst the doctor patched her up, i knew when i moved it would happen, but you never know when
I really found that msn,skype and setting her phone to sky so she got free calls, really helped, not just me but my family..........
I put this move on hold 7yrs ago and i kicked myself for it, but after finally doing the move i can say with hand on my heart we did the right move for our family...............

If you ever need a shoulder feel free to PM me

LB
Thanks it really puts things in perspective when you read some of the comments and makes you realise that many people have had to make the same decisions as you are going through, life is very short and youve got to grab it with both hands and make the most of it .We have spoken again with my parents today and again they give us their blessing ,sure we will miss them and its going to be very hard ,my wife is from a big family and we have strong family values ,good get togethers at birthdays and christmas ,etc but you cant dwell on that if you want the move,thanks again

Last edited by woodworker; Sep 25th 2009 at 2:32 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:07 pm

Thanks it really puts things in perspective when you read some of the comments and makes you realise that many people have had to make the same decisions as you are going through, life is very short and youve got to grab it with both hands and make the most of it .We have spoken again with my parents today and again they give us their blessing ,sure we will miss them and its going to be very hard ,my wife is from a big family and we have strong family values ,good get togethers at birthdays and christmas ,etc but you cant dwell on that if you want the move,thanks again
One thing you need to look at is network when you come in, i never understood a good friend (judy ) when she used to tell me that on here, after being here 6mths i really went for it and it has paid of in many ways, my OH comes from a big family, me i am afraid a small one, but we have so many good friends here that it shocks me how much we have done in the last yr................

We was all sat there the other day having that well deserved brew discussing life, we was scared to death 12mths ago, now we are looking forward..........i have even allowed myself the other day to look to our future and make plans for next year, something i wouldnt of done 6mths ago........
We all get through the stress whichever we can, but it really helps to have such good people around you

Good luck and you know where we are if you need to vent

LB
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

We was all sat there the other day having that well deserved brew discussing life, we was scared to death 12mths ago, now we are looking forward..........i have even allowed myself the other day to look to our future and make plans for next year, something i wouldnt of done 6mths ago........
We all get through the stress whichever we can, but it really helps to have such good people around you

Good luck and you know where we are if you need to vent

LB
I totally agree with LB - you do need that network of friends whether they are Brits or Canadians to be able to vent to.

The only piece of advice I would give people about friends is make sure that they are the "type" of friends you would have in the UK and not people who you think you should get along with as you are "in the same boat"
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: WOW - where did that year go.........

Thanks for all the advice we were sat yesterday talking about the move weve decided to make some enquiries and speak to a guy in Canada who deals with the immigration side of things one of the guys on the forum passed on his details and said he was really good .
I think weve just got to get on with it now ,im 48 in Feb and the cut off age as i understand is 49 so weve got to get things moving .
The kids really want to leave England now and keep asking us everyday if weve made our decision ,its not fair on them .
We saw my parents yesterday and theres still that niggling feeling in the back of my mind about not seeing him again,but if we want the move weve got to get on with it .
Whatever happens we are a close family and we will manage, and i know if we do get to Canada well make some friends and theyll be the right ones .
Once again thanks for the advice
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:02 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice we were sat yesterday talking about the move weve decided to make some enquiries and speak to a guy in Canada who deals with the immigration side of things one of the guys on the forum passed on his details and said he was really good .
I think weve just got to get on with it now ,im 48 in Feb and the cut off age as i understand is 49 so weve got to get things moving .
The kids really want to leave England now and keep asking us everyday if weve made our decision ,its not fair on them .
We saw my parents yesterday and theres still that niggling feeling in the back of my mind about not seeing him again,but if we want the move weve got to get on with it .
Whatever happens we are a close family and we will manage, and i know if we do get to Canada well make some friends and theyll be the right ones .
Once again thanks for the advice
Tough decision, but all the best in your application
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Tough decision, but all the best in your application
Thank you, it is a tough decision but weve definitely had enough here as ive said before Canada sounds a lovely place the kids really want to go there and so does my wife so thats half the battle just got to get the ball rolling
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:21 pm

Thank you, it is a tough decision but weve definitely had enough here as ive said before Canada sounds a lovely place the kids really want to go there and so does my wife so thats half the battle just got to get the ball rolling
must admit when we started all this i was all for the kids, now the kids are settled and i suppose i have been through hell and back over the last few months i have allowed myself to look deeper, do you know what ???

Both me and my OH has a better life here as well, i never thought i would think like that, my OH is totally relaxed with the kids, it has opened him up, he spends time with them and can't believe he missed so much with them when they was younger, but we now are able to look at our future
Also totally agree with what Mrs B said, when i came into town there was so much drama about, i decided to give everyone a chance rather than go with my gut feeling, i paid the price deeply, but afew mths ago, i built the bridges and have such great friends, i put myself out there and made friends and said sorry to those that i hurt.

I know alot of people now, but i know who my true friends are
i wish you luck WW.......dont give up in the first few months, life throws so much at you, but you keep that dream in your minds eye.......

It will really work if you want it too..............good luck
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=lancashirebird;7969422]must admit when we started all this i was all for the kids, now the kids are settled and i suppose i have been through hell and back over the last few months i have allowed myself to look deeper, do you know what ???

Both me and my OH has a better life here as well, i never thought i would think like that, my OH is totally relaxed with the kids, it has opened him up, he spends time with them and can't believe he missed so much with them when they was younger, but we now are able to look at our future
Also totally agree with what Mrs B said, when i came into town there was so much drama about, i decided to give everyone a chance rather than go with my gut feeling, i paid the price deeply, but afew mths ago, i built the bridges and have such great friends, i put myself out there and made friends and said sorry to those that i hurt.

I know alot of people now, but i know who my true friends are
i wish you luck WW.......dont give up in the first few months, life throws so much at you, but you keep that dream in your minds eye.......

It will really work if you want it too..............good luck [/QUOTE

Thanks ill let you know how things are going ,i know what you mean about the kids one minute they are youngsters the next they are all grown up .We spend a lot of time with them over here and do things as a family ,the eldest is 15 the youngest will be 14 soon it doesnt seem two minutes since we were nursing them .Life really does fly by at the wink of an eye.
With hindsight wed have thought about this a long time ago .I know its a massive move and as ive said before i take my hat off to all of you whos done it ,and to those who have done it and come back for one reason or another, at least they wont be sat at home in years to come saying "What if"
I am a great believer in fate and if its meant to be it will happen .
im sure if we do get there we will make friends be them Canadians or ex pats, either way we will see. Once again thanks for the advice the forum is good to read it gives you a good idea all about immigration be they good or bad points and in the main everybody seems helpfull thanks Dave
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

flower-power will become famous soon enoughflower-power will become famous soon enough

What fantastic and honest threads. I started of in tears reading these and now realising that although having a blip at the moment about whether to come or not it has helped listenig to you all.We made the break 7 years ago to France and know what you mean about the making friends bit!!!
Its been the same here and I now feel that I cant trust anyone and am feeling very lonely. My mum is in really good health for 67 at the moment but although not living in England I know I can be with her within 8 HRS. She says we must do what is right for ourselves. Weve gone through putting our lives on hold for the last 3 years when we applied but now during the recession its making things seem more daunting. I really upset my son the other evening when I said I cant go through with it. Weve had a lot of soul searching since and have agreed that we have come this far so we must do a recce before we finally decide; The hardest part now is knowing where to look. Weve have had holidays in BC and Alberta but I here all you guys and another thread ive read today really enjoying Ontario.
Once again good luck and good health to you all and thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.