Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

WOW - where did that year go.........

WOW - where did that year go.........

Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:40 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WOW - where did that year go.........

Well a year in our new life.......where did that go

we started our journey some years ago, OH tried to get me to move some years ago and i refused as i couldnt bring myself to leave my family, then the offer came up again with a trip paid for via his company, so we thought why not........-32 in onatrio and little kids in tow, but we came back with the bug...
sadly that wasnt going to happen as the car industry was being hit, the company offered us america and we felt our dreams had been shattered..
we tried so many times to get into ontario and failed, so we thought give up.......but in the back ground i was talking to some people on here, we arranged another recci trip and came out to meet the people i had been talking to and also for OH to attend the interviews, we was lucky he got the 6 jobs and accepted one there and then........

we went through hell after that selling the house and got the house buyers from hell as well, we also went through the highs and lows of the family and friends...............but we managed to get on that plane and come out with just suitcases and some boxes to follow...

We settled into the canadian life well, made new friends and also walked from some friendships that we made via this site, some people should be left as pixels, but i suppose you only learn that once you have met them
Others we had met through her i neally lost, but thankfully to this day our friendships are so strong and they have been a rock to both me and my family. We have also made friends with so many canadians and our new life is so rich with people.........
So far my best friend has visited, my in-laws and then followed by my mum.......
Sadly my mum didn't like our new country, but she saw why we had moved and saw the kids with there new friends and there new school, the people of our town opened there hearts to her and she went home knowing that we was happy as a family.
I suppose looking back that was the turning point for me, she returned back to the uk ill, she had seen a doctor here in town and he had said there was more than what the uk doctors had seen.........she insisted on returning and getting treatment back in the uk...just afew days later i was advised that she had cancer and did not have long, that really broke me, knowing that i was so far away really hurt, but with good friends behind us i booked that flight and went over to the uk to see her, she had so much drama around her with her friends and partner wiping her out (or trying too) - i spent the week helping her move in with my brother and she was happy, looking at her she had aged so much in such a short period of time.

Just one week after returning she passed away, i was able to speak to her before she went and was able to tell her how much we loved her, that hurt so much.....
When we started our journey we spoke alot about this day, we spoke how we would cope, but i never expected to say goodbye to my mum so quick.
Returning back to the uk the second time in a year was harder, but with so many family friends around it made it easier on us, to have our network of friends be there for us has helped us as well........

So what will the next year bring us
I really don't know, we are going through PR, OH is happy at work, i gave my notice in before i went back to the uk, so i think a new job hopefully for me, the kids are all settled in school, we have plans set for the next few months, but after that we know as long as we are here we are fine....

I am glad we did the move, although no matter how hard it is, there is good and bad, no matter which country you live in.
When i was in the uk i missed canadian food, people and life
When i am in canada i miss uk food, family and GREEN grass (LOL)

But i have also learn't how to do back bacon, i have learn't how to bake, cook a different way, i have learn't that some people are so not what they make out they are, i have learn't that some people are just awesome.......
I have learn't that you do bad then karma will bite your butt and i am glad that i stuck to my strong beliefs even though some have tested me, my life is so much better for this year....

Now for the next year..............

LB
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:27 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WOW - where did that year go.........

Congratulations LB
I know that this has been a tough year for you and your family but hopefully the next one will be easier.

Charlie xx

Last edited by purple80; Sep 21st 2009 at 12:32 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats with the first year - may there be many more for you in this beautiful country.

You totally hit the nail on the head when you said that you LEARNT this and that as I think that when you move to another country if you are prepared to learn about yourself and life again then you can embrace and live your new life.

Can't believe that I have to put up with you for another bloody year
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - rollercoaster!!!

You will know where your grey hairs come from!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

That brought a tear to my eye, and nowadays I'm a hard faced cow lol!

Seriously all the very best to you and yours, I'm glad life worked out like it did in lots of ways, but am truly sorry for your loss as I know it's a dark moment for every expat.

Take the best of care and I'm glad that you are part of the second leg of our adventure,

Mrs M
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:14 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've had a bit of a time of it. Hope this next year and all the years thereafter are happy and healthy!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:31 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
some people should be left as pixels, but i suppose you only learn that once you have met them
Now for the next year..............

LB
^^^ Ain't that the truth ^^^

Happy Canniversary to you & yours
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Congrats with the first year - may there be many more for you in this beautiful country.

You totally hit the nail on the head when you said that you LEARNT this and that as I think that when you move to another country if you are prepared to learn about yourself and life again then you can embrace and live your new life.

Can't believe that I have to put up with you for another bloody year
Another year, hey another lifetime
hey what is the point of bringing the "uk attitude" with us, you have been our rock hun and i will never forget it

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Wow - rollercoaster!!!

You will know where your grey hairs come from!
Grey hairs.......O them, they are hiding under a lovely colour

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins

Seriously all the very best to you and yours, I'm glad life worked out like it did in lots of ways, but am truly sorry for your loss as I know it's a dark moment for every expat.

Take the best of care and I'm glad that you are part of the second leg of our adventure,

Mrs M
AND i am so glad that we sorted things out, you are one fine lady
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you and all your family on your Canniversary LB - well done.

I don't know how, but I missed your thread about your mum passing on - wow, that was so quick but I'm really pleased you had managed to just go and see her again. Belated hugs, I'm sorry, I had not realised

I wish you all lots of happiness for your future years in Canada. It's been a toughie - but it sounds like you are in the right place for you all. Enjoy !
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins

Mrs M
I second that too lol...made me a bit weepy that G but you know I'm a bit emotional at the moment...sure it won't be long until I'm back to being the hard faced cow that I am!

Congratulations of your 1st rollercoaster year and here's hoping the next year will be a bit more settled for you....but I doubt it as I'm on my way to meet you
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:51 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your ups and, regretably, downs.

It is really important for us to hear the honest experiences of those who have already moved.

All the best for your next year.

Bali
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by ann m
Congrats to you and all your family on your Canniversary LB - well done.

I don't know how, but I missed your thread about your mum passing on - wow, that was so quick but I'm really pleased you had managed to just go and see her again. Belated hugs, I'm sorry, I had not realised

I wish you all lots of happiness for your future years in Canada. It's been a toughie - but it sounds like you are in the right place for you all. Enjoy !
thanks hun, don't worry i kind of did a runner when i got the news, cant remember that week before i left for the uk.......

Originally Posted by farjojo71
I second that too lol...made me a bit weepy that G but you know I'm a bit emotional at the moment...sure it won't be long until I'm back to being the hard faced cow that I am!

Congratulations of your 1st rollercoaster year and here's hoping the next year will be a bit more settled for you....but I doubt it as I'm on my way to meet you
You hard faced....never, believe me some of these racist ones in town could really give you a run for your money
Can't wait for that meet up.......

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Thanks for sharing your ups and, regretably, downs.

It is really important for us to hear the honest experiences of those who have already moved.

All the best for your next year.

Bali
I think people need to hear the truth when it comes to moving, the highes the lows etc
No matter how much we talk and discuss things before the move, nothing will get you ready for the troubles that you face.....
Although i have been through some stuff over the last few months, i know that i am secure with my friends and family, that the phone calls i have received and the friends that have called at my home are pure and really are there for not just me, but my family.....

But i have also learned that i am one tough cookie and with time i will be fine, no matter what
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
thanks hun, don't worry i kind of did a runner when i got the news, cant remember that week before i left for the uk.......

You hard faced....never, believe me some of these racist ones in town could really give you a run for your money
Can't wait for that meet up.......

I think people need to hear the truth when it comes to moving, the highes the lows etc
No matter how much we talk and discuss things before the move, nothing will get you ready for the troubles that you face.....
Although i have been through some stuff over the last few months, i know that i am secure with my friends and family, that the phone calls i have received and the friends that have called at my home are pure and really are there for not just me, but my family.....

But i have also learned that i am one tough cookie and with time i will be fine, no matter what
Congratulations on your first of many Canniversaries
You have been a rock so far for us and after what you've gone through lately deserve a stress free ride now although I feel ours is just beginning
Lots of hugs and well wishes

Ian Mel & the Huskies

xx

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

next year will be easier, you'll see!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by mags1972
Congratulations on your first of many Canniversaries
You have been a rock so far for us and after what you've gone through lately deserve a stress free ride now although I feel ours is just beginning
Lots of hugs and well wishes

Ian Mel & the Huskies

xx

What stress free.....me, does that go in the same sentance
A good friend turned up on my door last night came in and threw there arms around me, that broke me, but she is canadian and she was so worrid for me when i returned to the uk, that is true friends, like Mrs m and Mrs B have been.............
I know you are just starting your roller coaster, but hopefully that night at mine showed you some good people here ....here is to your paperwork being processed quick now

Originally Posted by Caitilin
next year will be easier, you'll see!
Do you know i was told that last night, what a year eh!!!!
Hope you are keeping well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.