Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Two years that have flown by!!

Two years that have flown by!!

Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:37 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all
Default Two years that have flown by!!

Can't believe we've been in Canada 2 years now. We still haven't felt even a pang of homesickness & are happy we made the move.

I recently moved to a different job (within the same work place) & it's all going really well.

The kids are sounding more Canadian every day - even the now 18 yr old who swore a pact with his younger brother not to lose his accent is sounding very Canadian!!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:01 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years that have flown by!!

Congratulations and best wishes for many more happy years in Canada.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats

The only reason I haven't lost my accent is because from time to time I'll hear a recording of my own voice from before I moved, and that reminds me how to speak britishly Perhaps your kids could dig up some old recordings?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

karabrittan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, we are considering a move to Canada in the very near future, I wonder if I could pick your brain and ask how you find the holiday allowance, I believe it is particularly low compared with the UK. That is my only concern about the move, we are looking for a better standard of living but can't get our heads around the fact that we may have to have our holiday allowance reduced to 2 weeks. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts in this.

Thanks
Kara
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:10 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karabrittan
Hello, we are considering a move to Canada in the very near future, I wonder if I could pick your brain and ask how you find the holiday allowance, I believe it is particularly low compared with the UK. That is my only concern about the move, we are looking for a better standard of living but can't get our heads around the fact that we may have to have our holiday allowance reduced to 2 weeks. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts in this.

Thanks
Kara
Get your heads around it or abandon your thoughts of Canada. It is what it is. Multi thousands of Brits have immigrated to here over the years and many (most) whine about the vacation situation. Two weeks is the minimum and many negotiate more vacations and/or vacation allowance increases with service or position level.
IMO there are many more important things to deal with when/if you land here.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Kara
You have to negotiate when you start work. We managed to negotiate 3 weeks as part of the package. Now after three years we are up to 4...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1
Can't believe we've been in Canada 2 years now. We still haven't felt even a pang of homesickness & are happy we made the move.
Glad you've had a good move - congrats - and best wishes for many more
Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:00 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Thanks
Kara
2 is the minimum & you usually can build on that, plus it can be negotiated as per other posters.

In the end it's a choice you make - despite having less vacation time (I am up to 3 weeks & will get 4 next year) than I used to get in the UK we seem to do more with the time we have here.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1

I recently moved to a different job (within the same work place) & it's all going really well.

The kids are sounding more Canadian every day - even the now 18 yr old who swore a pact with his younger brother not to lose his accent is sounding very Canadian!!
Can't believe it for both of us, soon coming up to our 3rd anniversary of moving and like you haven't had a moment of homesickness. Just can't wait until we get PR sorted, glad you got yours sorted
Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:26 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Can't believe it for both of us, soon coming up to our 3rd anniversary of moving and like you haven't had a moment of homesickness. Just can't wait until we get PR sorted, glad you got yours sorted
3 years - oh my!! Hope your job is going well and that your PR is soon in your posession!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:27 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RN1
2 is the minimum & you usually can build on that, plus it can be negotiated as per other posters.

In the end it's a choice you make - despite having less vacation time (I am up to 3 weeks & will get 4 next year) than I used to get in the UK we seem to do more with the time we have here.
My daughter works as an Early childhood educator - She has been told she is entitled to 1 weeks paid vacation only. Are they taking the p***
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1
3 years - oh my!! Hope your job is going well and that your PR is soon in your posession!
Doing OK in job and here's hoping PR is soon