Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Two years in Hamilton Ontario

Two years in Hamilton Ontario

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years in Hamilton Ontario

Yeah, two years already!

Two proper summers, and two proper winters.

We did a LOT in our first year, visiting places, buying cars etc etc, whereas the second year we really just settled in. I definitely think you need at least two years for the dust to settle, and to sit back and assess the situation.

Ailsa came over on a work transfer, so relatively speaking we had it much easier than most. The "gamble" aspect was taken out of the equation for us. We left Glasgow with a clean slate, no legacy debt and a small amount of money which we put on a house deposit over here.
We are glad we bought immediately instead of renting, which has turned out pretty great as our house value has increased more in two years than our house in Glasgow did in nearly twenty years.

I've done a lot of soul searching over the last year as to why I wanted to come here, and what I wanted to leave behind. It's different for everyone, but my needs were made up of many small things, rather than just "better opportunities" or "doing it for the kids".

In truth, I just prefer the American way. The accents, the cars, the houses, the weather, the sports, by which I mean American football and Nascar, lol.

Things I escaped from include, football, binge drinking, neds, rubbish, violent crime and of course RAIN!

I have achieved things in Canada I could never have done in the UK. Like building a hot rod, and renovating our basement. These things may not be life changing for most, but they are essential for my happiness.

Ok, so I'd better add some down-sides I suppose...

Car insurance - The cost for two cars when you have no relevant NCD really blows.
Dental work - Should have got it all done in the UK, lol
Winter cold - Can't wash my car in winter when the sponge keeps freezing solid
Chocolate - Cadburys has a different recipe over here to prolong shelf life

and of course.... CHEESE!

But I can live with all that.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in Hamilton Ontario

Congratulations! That's been a speedy two years!
I am the same, love the North American way and we have achieved far more here in big and small things than we ever could or did in England.

Note on teeth - I really think you dodged a bullet by not having everything done back there, the quality of dentists is way higher here...
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Yeah, two years already!

Two proper summers, and two proper winters.

We did a LOT in our first year, visiting places, buying cars etc etc, whereas the second year we really just settled in. I definitely think you need at least two years for the dust to settle, and to sit back and assess the situation.

Ailsa came over on a work transfer, so relatively speaking we had it much easier than most. The "gamble" aspect was taken out of the equation for us. We left Glasgow with a clean slate, no legacy debt and a small amount of money which we put on a house deposit over here.
We are glad we bought immediately instead of renting, which has turned out pretty great as our house value has increased more in two years than our house in Glasgow did in nearly twenty years.

I've done a lot of soul searching over the last year as to why I wanted to come here, and what I wanted to leave behind. It's different for everyone, but my needs were made up of many small things, rather than just "better opportunities" or "doing it for the kids".

In truth, I just prefer the American way. The accents, the cars, the houses, the weather, the sports, by which I mean American football and Nascar, lol.

Things I escaped from include, football, binge drinking, neds, rubbish, violent crime and of course RAIN!

I have achieved things in Canada I could never have done in the UK. Like building a hot rod, and renovating our basement. These things may not be life changing for most, but they are essential for my happiness.

Ok, so I'd better add some down-sides I suppose...

Car insurance - The cost for two cars when you have no relevant NCD really blows.
Winter cold - Can't wash my car in winter when the sponge keeps freezing solid
Chocolate - Cadburys has a different recipe over here to prolong shelf life

But I can live with all that.

Sounds like you are settling in well...and like me came here as your needs were made up of small things and these small things make you feel like your getting more from life! I feel the same, i have done things in Canada that i would never nbeen able to do in UK, they probably pretty minor to a lot of people but add them all up and they make a contented life.

Also like you, i like the North American lifestyle and what it offers, living in the states would feel a little too alien to me, but but somehow living in Canada it feels like a bridge between the UK and North American life, the ties to Britain are a much much stronger, including the humour.

I hear you on the cheese front..lol! there is some great Canadian cheddar....but why is it so expensive! People dont beleive me when I say i can buy Canadian cheddar cheaper in what used to be my local Sainsburys in the UK, than i can here!

None of those downsides sound like a deal break though! Good for you! and congratulations on 2 years!

Cheers!

Paul.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what benefits you have, but the quality and cost of the work I've had done here has been far better than in the UK.

If it's a question of finding a good dental practice, I can point you in the direction of a great one on the east mountain. PM me if you want details.

If you don't mind paying through the nose, these two have amazing stuff:

- Cheese Shop on Locke
- Mickey McGuire's on King St W, Dundas

Eye-wateringly expensive if you compare to the UK.

Tip: if you need to feed your habit, and are heading to Niagara/Buffalo, go to any branch of Wegman's across the border (like a Buffalo-area Fortinos) and fill your boots. We always bring back several 2lb blocks of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar (about $10, and is a pretty damn good cheddar whichever way you look at it). Jarlsberg is, for some reason, insanely cheap in there as well.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bgpz

I didn't mean to diss the dentists here. The one I have is pretty good. I'm getting some fairly serious bridge work done at the moment, which includes teeth extractions and root treatment, so you can imagine the costs.
Ailsa has a great health plan through work, which takes care of a chunk, but it's still a substantial amount of money we have to fork out.
Old May 5th 2015, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the two years Dave. Hope you, ailsa and the kids are happy for many more.

Too much cheese isn't good for you anyway lol