Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Three Years in Alberta

Three Years in Alberta

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Three Years in Alberta

Wow - missed the Canniversary the other day. Must mean we're settled then, eh?

So - usually happy, sometimes ambivalent. Still not whole-heartedly convinced, but loathe to give it up or give in to the occasional bouts of apathy.

Daughter Number One - totally happy. Immersed in the world of dance and sport, with lovely friends, and hormones about to kick in any moment.

Daughter Number Two - mostly happy with the odd dose of missing all that is the UK (whatever that actually means in her young mind). Much more shy, slower to make friends but after three years, I think she has finally got there.

Hubby - conscious of not having made Canadian friends, despite much effort, invitations and putting himself "out there". Convinced we are fundamentally different, think he's given up really and I don't blame him. Has clicked with a couple of Brit guys and maybe that's just the way it's going to be. Does it matter? Yes - sometimes.

Work for him has never really been satisfying, though things have improved slowly, mostly. It's just different - and always will be and he's found it harder to adapt than he ever thought. Awkward personalities play a large part, but that might be down to the profession rather than the nationality

On the plus side, we have two dogs that needs lots of walks in lovely places, he's learnt to paraglide, he enjoys the access to mountains and all that year-round outdoorsy stuff, and - god help us - he's been eyeing up a truck. We're doomed.

I finally have a decent full-time job (too full-time) and there are a few really nice colleagues, though the working environment, the layers of bureaucracy and the politics is quite something to behold on many days.

House, town and living environment tick all the boxes we could ever list - so just add a nice new modern pool complex and the C-train coming out as far as Cochrane and we're sorted!

Did a gardening course, joined a choir during my time out of the rat race - but now feel swamped by the treadmill of life again with long working days, not enough annual leave and children who still need their mum around a bit more. Actually dreading how we are going to get through the 10 weeks school holidays, and I don't think they are quite old enough to ship back over to granny for a few weeks Basically, I'm still looking for a really well paid part-time job - aren't we all?!

Weather and climate not too much of an issue. Summers are gorgeous generally - I don't resent the rainy days when they do arrive because the landscape is so parched. Winter is OK. It's the bleuggh months of March/April/May that I struggle with - not quite one nor the other, by which time I am desperate for some colour and for something, anything, to start bloody growing again April and May in Alberta remind me of January and February in the UK.

Hey ho - onwards and upwards, can apply for citizenship in July.

Thanks for reading
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Years in Alberta

Congratulations - Great post

Good to hear you are all doing well.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:48 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Hope it continues to go well for you all
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you, and well done Mr_M.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:01 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations from me too.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

So - usually happy, sometimes ambivalent. Still not whole-heartedly convinced, but loathe to give it up or give in to the occasional bouts of apathy.

Daughter Number One - totally happy. Immersed in the world of dance and sport, with lovely friends, and hormones about to kick in any moment.

Daughter Number Two - mostly happy with the odd dose of missing all that is the UK (whatever that actually means in her young mind). Much more shy, slower to make friends but after three years, I think she has finally got there.

Hubby - conscious of not having made Canadian friends, despite much effort, invitations and putting himself "out there". Convinced we are fundamentally different, think he's given up really and I don't blame him. Has clicked with a couple of Brit guys and maybe that's just the way it's going to be. Does it matter? Yes - sometimes.

Work for him has never really been satisfying, though things have improved slowly, mostly. It's just different - and always will be and he's found it harder to adapt than he ever thought. Awkward personalities play a large part, but that might be down to the profession rather than the nationality

On the plus side, we have two dogs that needs lots of walks in lovely places, he's learnt to paraglide, he enjoys the access to mountains and all that year-round outdoorsy stuff, and - god help us - he's been eyeing up a truck. We're doomed.

I finally have a decent full-time job (too full-time) and there are a few really nice colleagues, though the working environment, the layers of bureaucracy and the politics is quite something to behold on many days.

House, town and living environment tick all the boxes we could ever list - so just add a nice new modern pool complex and the C-train coming out as far as Cochrane and we're sorted!

Did a gardening course, joined a choir during my time out of the rat race - but now feel swamped by the treadmill of life again with long working days, not enough annual leave and children who still need their mum around a bit more. Actually dreading how we are going to get through the 10 weeks school holidays, and I don't think they are quite old enough to ship back over to granny for a few weeks Basically, I'm still looking for a really well paid part-time job - aren't we all?!

Weather and climate not too much of an issue. Summers are gorgeous generally - I don't resent the rainy days when they do arrive because the landscape is so parched. Winter is OK. It's the bleuggh months of March/April/May that I struggle with - not quite one nor the other, by which time I am desperate for some colour and for something, anything, to start bloody growing again April and May in Alberta remind me of January and February in the UK.

Thanks for reading

Hi Ann m

I must say I do feel very similar to you, and have often agreed with many of your posts, im not totallly convinced just yet, asI said in my post, but gave up so much to get here, like you I am loathed to give up for the occasional bit of doubt or the missing of something relativly minor in your life from the UK. Friends and family being the exception.

With regards to Canadian friends, I really think this is the luck of the draw, being in the right place at the right time, altho I suppose Canadian people could differ with their attitudes accross Canada..... in my 3 months in Peterborough I seem to have a lot of potential in making good lasting friends, and they seem to share my stupid humour! Just luck I suppose!

Anyway Im going to do what you are doing, what ever happens, Im going to get that citizenship! So I take it your going to apply in July, besides it sounds as if your daughter would be mortified if you moved back to the UK?

Well all the best.

Cheers

Paul
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks - thanks for your comments.

Life is generally good, it really is - even though my entry above may not necessarily sound like it! We are happy, positive people who have the odd funny day!

Yes Paul, we will apply for citizenship. Whether we will definitely still be here by the time they finally invite us to take the test is a mystery
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Thanks for reading
I hear ya!

Congratulations for making it to 3 years Ann. Thats nice to hear that you are 90% settled.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:11 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, & good luck in the next yr
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:46 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ann, best wishes moving forward towards the Citizenship,
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:09 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in there hun
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Great Post Ann, Congrats on being there 3 years and all the very best for the future.
xx
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ann,

I rarely read the canniversary posts but glad I did today. Great post. I think what you have said will ring true for a lot of people.

From your posts that I've read, you seem to have a very sensible, down to earth approach to life in a new country and it sounds like you're doing just fine here.

Congratulations on making it this far and best of luck for the future (wherever that may take you!)

MrsDV
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:35 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ann. Passed my 3 years in April, give or take.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulatlons Ann 3 years already, sounds like you have made a huge effort, well done to all of you.

Not so sure about the para gliding bit though, better not let Mr CP see that bit or I'm sure he would love to do that, truck yes can see that,
Good luck with the summer, and hope the next three work out well for you .

( sorry can't do smilies yet on iPad, sure there is an application but I am blonde xx)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.