Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Observations so far.........

Observations so far.........

Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

whosgarethparry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Observations so far.........

Good old Yorkshire.... I miss the 'you're not from round these parts' stares you'd get anywhere outside of Leeds. It's still weird walking into a shop/bar/anywhere, and the staff are friendly and talkative. They even mean sometimes. I thought they were being sarcastic.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

A well balanced view of what it's as a newcomer living in Toronto.

I'm in my forth condo since moving here in 08' - Ronces, St-Clair, Front and now Carlton-Jarvis and by far the current location has been the best. It's great being able to walk everywhere.

Regarding getting by and meeting people; I do agree that one has to put themselves out there and meet and mingle with as many locals - that goes for both the work and social enviros... I've had many challenges on this front but learning to adapt quickly has helped and I find that in my 4th year of Toronto life I have changed for the better - for instance I'm way more likely to start a conversation with something then before and I don't hold back on opportunities like I used to in London.

The art/cultural scene is very good here in Toronto. I really enjoy Queen West area and King East. I'm got so many favourite bars and restaurants and I enjoy exploring the neighbourhoods - to the detriment of my wallet - I go out here way more than back in London.

Weather is a big plus here. You've been relatively lucky with the very mild winter - it can get a bit much but the summers really make up for it.

It seems you've got the right attitude to make Toronto a successful move. You'll be seeing 4 years soon enough by the sounds of how well your enjoying things.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whosgarethparry

2) Technology is 5 yrs behind...
Not the Tech, but the infra-structure supporting it. Mobiles (Bell and Rogers are monopolizing cretins, i could start 10 posts on the vitriol and scorn i feel toward them) On-Demand TV services, On-line shopping etc are so behind the curve you won't believe it. The difference in Amazon alone is incredible. Knowing how easy on-line services are in the UK, you will be annoyed by the back step.
I'd agree with you there - I got a major shock when I signed up for my first 3 year mobile contract with Rogers and had to pay for all the things that once used to be included like call-id, voicemail etc.

I canned all Rogers servies including Cable and switched to Wind Mobile which include unlimited everything for 30CAD a month - I've not had any problems and get very good reception in the downtown area... Also switched to Bell Fibe for internet and TV which has all the PVR /multimedia extras you'd ever want.

As far as the actual tech product offering goes it's been very good good but I completely understand with regards to the customer service/infrastructure element - I have yet to fully comprehend my Bell bill after the 3rd month of service. I hope it's right but I've got so many service deducts/promotions/bundles etc attached to the bill that even Bell don't know what sort of contract I'm on... most of it just looks like nonsense.

Very recently I have saw a marked difference in the availability of on-line shopping both from Canadian retailers as well as American/UK. A lot of sites now include CAD prices with duty etc included... shipping can still be prohibitive but I have noticed a few stores have free Shipping within USA/Canada. I find most of what I need in stores downtown.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:37 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
What a wonderful post, although we are not Suburb people i can fully relate to everything.
Another pet hate perhaps?? when you're in a store and you hear some whining Brit you try not to sound British in case you get associated with them....I actually pretended to be French when some whine bag from Leeds started moaning about Canadian way of life in a store!!

Anyway good luck! We're approaching a year on the 17th....

Keith.
Whining Brits! But the reverse is also true. There is a Canadian poster on here ( can't remember her name) living in London, and she whines like hell about all things English.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Whining Brits! But the reverse is also true. There is a Canadian poster on here ( can't remember her name) living in London, and she whines like hell about all things English.
And there is a Swedish poster on here (waves) who has lived in UK and hates the place. Spent much more time in Canada than a normal "I want to emmigrate to Canada and plan a reccie trip" immigrants and LOVE IT!

And I LOVE Tim Hortons. Good coffee at a very affordable price. As in UK the coffees available were horrendous, it was either make my own and bring or live off starbucks which is stupidly expensive.

And poutine is quite OK. It's one of those you either like or don't. British cooking probably has the worst reputation in the world, bland, greasy, loaded with fat. Not many people like that. Strangely, I liked the British cuisine.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I find it odd that people scoff at poutine, yet they'll gladly devour greasy plates of potatoes and instant gravy and cheese.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lychee
I find it odd that people scoff at poutine, yet they'll gladly devour greasy plates of potatoes and instant gravy and cheese.
HELLO people... have you tried Smoke's Poutine http://smokespoutinerie.com/ (Dundas-Jarvis) if heaven was chips, gravy and cheese...

It's my Kebab (kebob) at 2am... let me have it.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Chips and gravy???

Is that a Northern thing??

Why spoil Bisto eh?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

We had poutine at Swiss Chalet when we first arrived here. It is not that bad but very filling, so I wouldn't eat too much of it... I can really recommend the ribs at Swiss Chalet they were yummie!
I have been in Mississauga for a month now, really liking it so far.
There is a lot more choice in Canada for relatively healthy take away and restaurant food when compared to England. I love it how people make casual conversation, it is such a relaxed atmosphere and much easier to connect with people. Things are not as rushed especially at work.
I have not visited down town Toronto yet, maybe I will go there this weekend. Can you recommend anything in particular?
Is it best to use public transport from Mississauga to go down town or should I go by car and park somewhere? Thanks for your help
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChromeoHurts
I'm in my forth condo since moving here in 08' - Ronces, St-Clair, Front and now Carlton-Jarvis and by far the current location has been the best. It's great being able to walk everywhere.

Regarding getting by and meeting people; I do agree that one has to put themselves out there and meet and mingle with as many locals
Given your location meeting people should be easy. Borrow a dog, walk to Allen Gardens, set it to romping, chat.

Recently there a cradle (a cradle in Toronto, honest!) detecting my accent launched into the history of all the football matches he had attended. The saga ended with him exposing his tattoo, of a cockerel. The area is, of course, known for incidents of that general nature.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
We had poutine at Swiss Chalet when we first arrived here. It is not that bad but very filling, so I wouldn't eat too much of it... I can really recommend the ribs at Swiss Chalet they were yummie!
I have been in Mississauga for a month now, really liking it so far.
There is a lot more choice in Canada for relatively healthy take away and restaurant food when compared to England. I love it how people make casual conversation, it is such a relaxed atmosphere and much easier to connect with people. Things are not as rushed especially at work.
I have not visited down town Toronto yet, maybe I will go there this weekend. Can you recommend anything in particular?
Is it best to use public transport from Mississauga to go down town or should I go by car and park somewhere? Thanks for your help
Drive. Where to park depends on where you're going but driving is much the easiest.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Drive. Where to park depends on where you're going but driving is much the easiest.
Well, there is the GO bus from Square One, 40 mins (if memory serves) in to Union. But if you have a car you might as well drive. Drive as much as you can to get used to the Toronto traffic and find your way around. My two most recent trips I had rentals and at this last one I found that I was relying less and less on the GPS. Taking different routes than my usuals just because.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

whosgarethparry is on a distinguished road

Now Swiss Chalet i like.....Apparently there is a Nando's on Eglington.......Any recomendation for good Chicken Houses? or West Indian places...missing my Goat curry......
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
What a wonderful post, although we are not Suburb people i can fully relate to everything.
Another pet hate perhaps?? when you're in a store and you hear some whining Brit you try not to sound British in case you get associated with them....I actually pretended to be French when some whine bag from Leeds started moaning about Canadian way of life in a store!!

Anyway good luck! We're approaching a year on the 17th....

Keith.
Could not agree more, I thought I was just being anti British but thats the way some Brits here make me feel. We were out with Canadian friends for a drink just before Christmas when I saw the first brawl outside a bar since leaving UK, funnily enough they were a group of p***** up Brits brawling, gobbing off, breaking a glass partition. I was so ashamed to be British at that moment.
There is also a large partion of Brits who work for a trucking company here. Whilst there are a few of them who we love, most of them just really p*** me off with their attitude, all they do is slag the place off, moaning about Canadians in general, openly mocking them to their faces and about the fact that football here sucks and British football is the only one. Our football is called soccer here, just accept it for christs sake, does it really matter. These are the guys that complained about immigrants in Britain not integrating and they do exactly the same here.
I make a point of making sure people here know that I am not working for this trucking company when they hear my accent, its amazing their attitude changes remarkably for the better when they know, right or wrong thats just the rep that has been formed here.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
These are the guys that complained about immigrants in Britain not integrating and they do exactly the same here.

You are spot on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.