Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

First big milestone.... 9 years in Canada

First big milestone.... 9 years in Canada

Old Jul 26th 2019, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute
Default First big milestone.... 9 years in Canada

Congratulations on surviving 10 years. We have just managed 9 years last week. Our experience is somewhat like yours with similar likes and dislikes. However, we are in Alberta, not a place I want to retire to.

Love the drier climate and sunshine (with the exception of this year’s spring/summer) and the beautiful Rocky Mountains we can see from our house.

Unlike you, we have no Canadian friends (only acquaintances), we have tried but to no avail. Perhaps it’s because we are older and are boys were already grown up when we arrived. I was fortunate to obtain a job within 5 weeks which turned into a permanent position a year later, and because I teach, get a decent amount of vacation; not as much as the UK but I am happy with it. My husband on the other hand, an ex police officer and an ex teacher has gone from contract to contract leaving us with no opportunity to put down roots.

i miss the British culture, the entertainment opportunities available in the UK, and how accessible it is to Europe (at the moment). Until this year we had only been back to the UK once, 4 years after moving here. This year we went back for my mum’s 80th birthday in May and realizes how much we miss our homeland. We are going back next week for 3 weeks and are hoping that gives us the fix to continue living in Canada until we retire.

We are torn between what we miss and the opportunities Canada have afforded us. We realize how lucky we are and don’t regret coming. Our boys are settled in Canada and we have a beautiful 19 month old granddaughter, so do I wish things were different ‘yes’ and ‘no’. I wish the Canadian employment situation was different. My husband feels like he has wasted 9 years of his life, while on the other hand, he is grateful the boys have a much better life here. We are grateful for our granddaughter, the beautiful scenery and the amount of space.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy your life in Canada, and I hope that some stability is just around the corner! Good-luck for the future.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 6:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First big milestone.... 9 years in Canada

Hi, I moved your post to a thread of your own - your own CANNIVERSARY!!

Congrats on the first 9 years!! I hope you continue to enjoy life, despite missing aspects of your old one!

(moved from Paul's Canniversary)
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your 9 years!

Sorry to hear about the lack of job prospects, since you’re in Alberta I’m assuming this is related to the Oil & Gas turndown. If not then you could consider another province or city that may have better prospects perhaps?

Life in any country certainly won’t feel great if you’re struggling with employment.

My suggestion regarding feeling sad about what you miss, try and make an effort to appreciate what is positive and unique about where you live, if you can.

I’m interested that you feel that your children have better lives here than in UK, would really like to hear your reasons as to why just out of curiousity.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Britainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
Congratulations on surviving 10 years. We have just managed 9 years last week. Our experience is somewhat like yours with similar likes and dislikes. However, we are in Alberta, not a place I want to retire to.

Love the drier climate and sunshine (with the exception of this year’s spring/summer) and the beautiful Rocky Mountains we can see from our house.

Unlike you, we have no Canadian friends (only acquaintances), we have tried but to no avail. Perhaps it’s because we are older and are boys were already grown up when we arrived. I was fortunate to obtain a job within 5 weeks which turned into a permanent position a year later, and because I teach, get a decent amount of vacation; not as much as the UK but I am happy with it. My husband on the other hand, an ex police officer and an ex teacher has gone from contract to contract leaving us with no opportunity to put down roots.

i miss the British culture, the entertainment opportunities available in the UK, and how accessible it is to Europe (at the moment). Until this year we had only been back to the UK once, 4 years after moving here. This year we went back for my mum’s 80th birthday in May and realizes how much we miss our homeland. We are going back next week for 3 weeks and are hoping that gives us the fix to continue living in Canada until we retire.

We are torn between what we miss and the opportunities Canada have afforded us. We realize how lucky we are and don’t regret coming. Our boys are settled in Canada and we have a beautiful 19 month old granddaughter, so do I wish things were different ‘yes’ and ‘no’. I wish the Canadian employment situation was different. My husband feels like he has wasted 9 years of his life, while on the other hand, he is grateful the boys have a much better life here. We are grateful for our granddaughter, the beautiful scenery and the amount of space.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy your life in Canada, and I hope that some stability is just around the corner! Good-luck for the future.
Hi Poppit,

I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you feel about leaving your children and Grandaughter behind if you left to go back to the UK? We have been here for 10 years and have never settled or 'liked' it...we are in the process of moving back soon as we have elderly parents that need help but I also yearn for the UK and the life that I had there. Our three boys are adults now and will stay in Canada but I'm struggling with the idea of leaving them and out two beautiful Grandchildren whom I adore.

I also think that we get 'one life each' and we should be as happy as we can be in it....I feel like stay here and be miserable but at the same time be with our family, or go home and be happy without them!

Just wondered about your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Britainbound1

If/when we move back to the UK it will probably be the hardest decision we will ever make. We desperately want to move back but know that realistically we will have to wait until retirement. The sad thing is that we are counting the days to retirement and we have 6 years still to go in Canada and 7 years for retirement in the UK.

Leaving the boys and my granddaughter is unthinkable; we have a close relationship with both boys and spend a lot of time with our granddaughter. I would hate to leave them but like you we have never settled in Canada and as time has gone on we have become more unhappy. I suppose that we are hoping they will relocate (well, one can dream).

One of the biggest issues has been the continuity of work. I was lucky, someone let my ex-boss down at the last minute which is how I got my teaching job. Four days later I was in class. My husband on the other hand, is still a contractor; he teaches at the same institution as me, is better qualified than the majority of our colleagues but still can’t get a permanent job. He’s not Canadian, not female and not 30 something. He just feels like he has wasted the last 9 years of his life and all his teaching qualifications mean nothing in Canada.

We are back in the UK for 3 weeks for the second time this year and neither of us wants to go back to Canada other than because our immediate family is there. Good luck with whatever you decide; it is an impossible position to be in.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I find it interesting that two sets of people who are both unhappy in Canada live in Alberta... just saying. The comment about your husband unable to get a permanent teaching position made me wonder if there is still a prevailing idea of teachers being a traditionally female role, as I know Alberta is quite conservative.

I still highly endorse considering another part of the country, though no doubt it's very difficult to get the whole family to up-sticks, especially with adult children. I didn't realize that was the case at first (somehow your news of a granddaughter flew under the radar - congratulations btw!), and that certainly makes things more difficult and complicated for you.

I hope everything works out best for everyone involved, and that goes for you as well Britainbound1. I had to leave a lot of family behind when I moved from the UK to Canada, even though moving back to the UK would be "unimmigrating" that doesn't make that decision any less valid, sometimes it's just a reality of the choices you have to make for yourself, though no doubt upsetting and difficult at times.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Britainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond reputeBritainbound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Who said life was easy eh? still, we still have a lot to be thankful for and I'm sure we will 'find our way'

Thanks for the replies x
Old Aug 8th 2019, 3:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britainbound1
Hi Poppit,

I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you feel about leaving your children and Grandaughter behind if you left to go back to the UK? We have been here for 10 years and have never settled or 'liked' it...we are in the process of moving back soon as we have elderly parents that need help but I also yearn for the UK and the life that I had there. Our three boys are adults now and will stay in Canada but I'm struggling with the idea of leaving them and out two beautiful Grandchildren whom I adore.

I also think that we get 'one life each' and we should be as happy as we can be in it....I feel like stay here and be miserable but at the same time be with our family, or go home and be happy without them!

Just wondered about your thoughts?

Thanks.
Have you found our Moving Back to the UK forum? https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Old Aug 8th 2019, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
I wish the Canadian employment situation was different.
Lot's of immigrants think that way.

I think moving to Canada is often not out of professional reasons, but more a lifestyle choice. Big money isn't waiting in Canada, however it's a different way of life. Often it's more laid back, nore care free, but also less affirmative, less reliable, and less accessible in many ways.

What never ceased to amaze me is the high number of contracting jobs and hourly wage employment, even for higher skilled roles. Those sort of technically minded roles in the networking and IT security field which would give you a salary of 70 or 80 K annually easily in the UK.

Also, if approached by a recruiter in Canada they would ask you for what kind of salary you would be prepared to do the job, and then just comparing candidates who ask for the lowest money. In the UK the recruiter would say "My client is prepared to pay between this and that amount for the right candidate", which would give me more of a fair choice in salary negotiations.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would add my experience as a 25 year old of making friends in Canada. Alot of you older folks say age is factor in making friends but its not. Some of my friends in Ontario were between 35-50 years old I generally have more a laugh with people older than me.

Anyway I lived in Ontario 2 years, now in Alberta nearly a year. In Ontario yes it was easier to make friends because most people there or in the GTA were immigrants themselves. In Alberta is mostly white Canadians. Canadians are the nicest people but there very private in some ways too (I think due to the bigger spaces). When we first came to Alberta we had some initial problems which led us to becoming hermits for the first 6 months. I work from home for a large corporation in IT so I don't go out meeting people like I did in my job in Ontario and its been isolating. Anyway I decided ***** it I am the only one who can change this. Waiting for friends to knock the door and say be my friend is such rubbish or making moving back to the UK a solution also a bad idea. We moved from Ontario because the cost of living was so high we were going broke.

I made friends by joining Calgary Stampede Ski Club. Lots of brits and events even if you don't like skiing mostly people 40+ in the club great bunch though. I joined Calgary Social Club few different sports softball, soccer, kickball just to get out meet people. Its been great and I've made friends doing this. If I hadn't have made substantial effort it wouldn't have happened... and it is hard it feels like dating trying to find friends but you just end up falling into a social circle. I will keep doing this meeting new people and its great fun I never had anything like this in the UK. The Calgary Social Club is a great place for that and they have a over 35s league too so its for all ages. I just sub sports which is free to do and you pick and choose the games you want. Also play with different teams so meet more people. There are many great things like this.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 6:55 pm
Banned

Please do start your own "Canniversary" for updates to your milestones and experiences.. each thread is 'our own'

Old Aug 29th 2019, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please do start your own "Canniversary" for updates to your milestones and experiences.. each thread is 'our own'

So sorry I didn't realize I couldn't post here I thought it was a forum
Old Aug 29th 2019, 7:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
So sorry I didn't realize I couldn't post here I thought it was a forum
No apology necessary! It's just nice to have your own place too - so you can give us updates as your journey carries on...

Great info, by the way!