Calgary Newbies

Old Sep 13th 2013, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Hayden4560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary Newbies

We arrived Calgary 30th July and the first few weeks have been great. Fortunately, we have a brilliant friend who let us stay with her while we searched for a rental. This proved way more difficult than we anticipated but we finally found somewhere and move October 1st. Hubby is Canadian (although bought up in UK), so re-activating his SI number wasn't too difficult and opening bank accounts was easy! Purchased, two decent cars, daughter started 9th grade and loving it, hubby started work and we are gradually settling in. Our "stuff" arrives October 2nd, hopefully, and our furry friend on 15th, oh and the weather has been gorgeous. All in all a positive start, a few bad days but mainly me missing my friends and my social life (I loved a ladies lunch), but that will come in time, I hope!

Calgary is a lovely city, very friendly, easy to navigate and plenty to do! One final thing? Any recommendations on where to watch the Mayweather V's Canelo fight tomorrow in the SW
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Newbies

Sounds like you've hit the ground running

Glad that things are coming together for you.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Sounds like you've hit the ground running

Glad that things are coming together for you.
Thank you,
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:38 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, well done! Had you visited Calgary very much before the big move?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you find a rental? Will you both be working in Calgary?

I'm not surprised it was a bit more difficult to find a rental, as there's still a lot of people out of their houses after the flooding!

you'll get the mayweather fight in just about every bar in Calgary, although some of them will have a cover charge to get in (usually about $10) My recommendation would be a Boston Pizza somewhere, tonnes of them about

I'm personally going to Canadian Brewhouse in the NW, excellent sports bar and more TVs than customers

although the Flames preseason starts tonight vs. the Oilers, so i'll be there first get down to the hockey too, that's what real Canadians do all winter so you might aswell start now :P
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, well done! Had you visited Calgary very much before the big move?
Thank you, we came for a month last year and spent time on Vancover and in the island too but Calgary just felt right. Don't know about anyone else but we have moved around a bit due to work and we just get a feel for a place and it's almost instant

Last edited by Hayden4560; Sep 14th 2013 at 4:51 am.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haggis88
Where did you find a rental? Will you both be working in Calgary?

I'm not surprised it was a bit more difficult to find a rental, as there's still a lot of people out of their houses after the flooding!

you'll get the mayweather fight in just about every bar in Calgary, although some of them will have a cover charge to get in (usually about $10) My recommendation would be a Boston Pizza somewhere, tonnes of them about

I'm personally going to Canadian Brewhouse in the NW, excellent sports bar and more TVs than customers

although the Flames preseason starts tonight vs. the Oilers, so i'll be there first get down to the hockey too, that's what real Canadians do all winter so you might aswell start now :P
We finally found one in Sundance and yes you are right, the flooding had an enormous effect on inventory (and price), also seemed that lots of people waned ridiculous money for not very nice properties. The house we found was through an agency, so we actually managed a private walk through instead of the open houses that seem to have become popular. Nice neighborhood, lake community, shops, restaurants and bars close by and friends 5 minutes in either direction. Hubby working while my sponsorship and PR go through but I'd like to find something eventually as our daughter is nearly 14 and almost off hand....

Thanks for the heads up on the fight, and yes we'll be watching the hockey too

Last edited by Hayden4560; Sep 14th 2013 at 4:50 am.