Reload this Page >

Six months livin the dream

Six months livin the dream

Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Six months livin the dream

Wow!, six months already!

And I've maybe posted on here three times since we landed, lol.

I had a day of reflection today.
I awoke to a gorgeous blue sky (as usual), got a travel-cup full of coffee (Tim Hortons ground of course), and headed out to the off-leash with ma dog.

I met a few folk I knew, and handed over a printed mug to a regular customer of my new mug printing business. She was delighted as usual, cause my work is amazing ;-)

After dropping off the dog at home, I headed to Brantford to help a new good friend re-build his shop, and by shop I of course mean Garage lol.

The journey is about twenty minutes on the highway, so I sat there with the cruise control set at 85, hung my arm out the window of my truck and turned up my favourite Coutry music station. Life is good.

As I arrived in Brantford, a very nice 70's Bull nose Firebird in Canary yellow is driving along my left side. I smile and continue on to Tim Hortons, as it is obligatory to arrive at Grumbs Bodyworks with a large double milk.

I spend the afternoon hammering and drilling, and before we know it, we have constructed a brand new staircase for the second story of his shop.
This "shop" is where Glenn will be building me a frame for my hot rod.

So I head home feeling pretty pleased with myself, and enjoy the blue skies behind the tree lines as the sun is starting to go down. I know tonight will be another glorious sunset.

After dinner, we sit on our deck with coffees' and listen to the crickets.

There was no ONE big draw for me to come to Canada, there were MANY small one's. And so far everything has lived up to my expectations.

The main one being the weather. Granted we have not done winter yet, but that's ok. We have had the best summer in YEARS! and we know we will have another great summer next year, and the year after that.

The kids are settling in well. Kyle just started High School and definitely seems more interested in it than he did in high school in Scotland. Ross has another year of middle school, and has a large circle of friends, most of which seem to descend on us at weekends for sleepovers, which is fine when you have more than just a 900 square foot semi in Glasgow. But making pancakes for four hungry noisy kids in the morning is a challenge.

We LOVE our new home. We walk round it and smile at what we have accomplished. I have my double garage with electric double door, and enough room for both my tools AND space to work on cars. Petrolhead heaven! Great neighbours and a great area.

But of course there have been some low points too. My Dad died unexpectantly just four months after we got here, so I had to return to Glasgow for a couple of weeks. It was nice to see my family, albeit under sad circumstances, but I really just couldn't wait to get back to Canada, my home.

We occasionally feel a bit homesick, or lonely, as we no longer have that family and friends network, but I'm working hard on that one. We have made some great new friends who regularly invite us to meals and family events, and we have our first Thanksgiving dinner invitaion. Not sure what we're doing for Christmas yet. But hey, before that we have Halloween! I passed a few fields today and spotted the big orange pumpkins appearing.

So, what do I miss about Scotland?

ummm, I really can't think of anything, sorry, lol.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six months livin the dream

Glad to see you are doing well, guys, always great to read about your experiences. We are 5 months behind you but it feels like we are falling into the same pace and mindset. Keep the updates coming
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Six months already? Wow time does fly by!!

Congratulations. You sound so settled!!! Here's to many more years of Canadian bliss!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:57 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Love it!!
I feel the same about summer, I didn't know what summer was before we moved!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that all is well despite your loss mate!

Seems like you are enjoying things pretty much like I am lol,a HUGE step up from Glasgow isn't it.
I still can't get over how there is no litter or dog crap covering the pavements.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really 6 months already - where does the time go!

I'm so glad to hear that you are settled and happy - you're a bit of inspiration to the newcomers and an affirmation for us old timers (and by that I mean length of time in Canada, not age, lol) that we made the right choices. It's great to hear the kids have settled in well too.

I truly hope that you are content and happy for many years to come.

We will have to arrange a get together before the bad weather sets in - it would be good to see you & Ailsa.

Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Is it really 6 months already - where does the time go!

I'm so glad to hear that you are settled and happy - you're a bit of inspiration to the newcomers and an affirmation for us old timers (and by that I mean length of time in Canada, not age, lol) that we made the right choices. It's great to hear the kids have settled in well too.

I truly hope that you are content and happy for many years to come.

We will have to arrange a get together before the bad weather sets in - it would be good to see you & Ailsa.

Yeah, and remove that huge pile of crap from your garden!!!, lol
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Wow!, six months already!
Wow!

I awoke to a gorgeous blue sky (as usual), got a travel-cup full of coffee (Tim Hortons ground of course), and headed out to the off-leash with ma dog.
there goes the day.

I met a few folk I knew, and handed over a printed mug to a regular customer of my new mug printing business. She was delighted as usual, cause my work is amazing ;-)
Not got a job yet then?

The journey is about twenty minutes on the highway, so I sat there with the cruise control set at 85, hung my arm out the window of my truck and turned up my favourite Coutry music station. Life is good.
You have a favourite country station? Good God

As I arrived in Brantford, a very nice 70's Bull nose Firebird in Canary yellow is driving along my left side. I smile and continue on to Tim Hortons, as it is obligatory to arrive at Grumbs Bodyworks with a large double milk.
Do you begin to see the flaw in your thinking?

After dinner, we sit on our deck with coffees' and listen to the crickets.
Hmm. How about sitting on the patio and listening to the cricket?

The main one being the weather. Granted we have not done winter yet, but that's ok.
<sniggers>

Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Hey Novo, jobs just get in the way of fun time.

That's why I married a beautiful hard working career woman.

Now who's sniggering ;-)
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, that time did fly by....you're a bit late on the pumpkin thing....the front of our Superstore is awash with the things...I can feel my husband about to start to whinge about pumpkin pie (yuck, I like the soup though).

Condolences on the death of your father, never easy, and more difficult with travel thrown in. I too hope that you and your family continue to be sublimely happy in your chosen path. I think that given your attitude, you might even find your first winter awesome!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

tez1503 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you've all settled really well! So pleased for you all, it looks like you've all gone to Canada with the right mind frame and I really hope it continues to go from strength to strength.

I've been following your posts with interest, as we are heading to Ancaster in October and I do hope our move is as successful as yours has been!

I might bump into you in the near future!

Paul
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tez1503
Sounds like you've all settled really well! So pleased for you all, it looks like you've all gone to Canada with the right mind frame and I really hope it continues to go from strength to strength.

I've been following your posts with interest, as we are heading to Ancaster in October and I do hope our move is as successful as yours has been!

I might bump into you in the near future!

Paul
Hey future neighbour!

Anything I can do to help, give me a shout.

We love it here, couldn't have a chosen a better place to settle, for us anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff ! Enjoyed your post.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

jimboger1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dave and ailsa
Please can you have a look at my thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809161
I'm going bloody mad
Thanks
Jim
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:24 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad , but I can not believe its six months already. Sounds like you really made the right choice. Hopefully by the end of October me and my other half will be in Canada too