Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

On the shopping, it's worth pointing out that Food Basics is Metro's cheap brand and, barring the high end stuff which it doesn't carry at all, has the exact same stock often at 2/3rds of the prices. No Frills has a similar relationship to Loblaws although there seems to be less stock overlap.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

On-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really niceOn-tar-ee-oh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi everyone,

We have had some issues with OHIP as when we set up our bank account we opted for online statements as we like to avoid excess paper.. Service Canada won't accept any other proof of address.. not even a letter from Service Canada!!! :curse: so we still have no coverage to come.

Our cat arrives on May 10th we hope. Lots of communication issues with the handling company, but we are staying positive that all will go well.

At least once a day I have the "this feels like a dream" feeling, and it's so great!
Hi Flyingscottie,

congrats on getting here. We arrived in Feb, also with a cat. If you need any tips on collecting it from Pearson just get in touch, it is a real mess. You NEED a car to get to the Customs and then back to the Cargo treminal to collect your animal.

Your OHIP wont kick in for 3 months regardless as to whether you apply now or in a few weeks. TV and Cable are considered utilities here so a bill from Cogeco would probably suffice otherwise ask your bank for a printed statement and pay them the couple of dollars to get it. We took out BlueCross cover for the first 3 months. You can still get covered between now and when your OHIP kicks in.

Good luck with the new job and get in touch if you want to swap stories or chat to another newbie. We are in Burlington. Where in Toronto are you?

H
Old May 30th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Paulmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by On-tar-ee-oh
Hi Flyingscottie,

congrats on getting here. We arrived in Feb, also with a cat. If you need any tips on collecting it from Pearson just get in touch, it is a real mess. You NEED a car to get to the Customs and then back to the Cargo treminal to collect your animal.

Your OHIP wont kick in for 3 months regardless as to whether you apply now or in a few weeks. TV and Cable are considered utilities here so a bill from Cogeco would probably suffice otherwise ask your bank for a printed statement and pay them the couple of dollars to get it. We took out BlueCross cover for the first 3 months. You can still get covered between now and when your OHIP kicks in.

Good luck with the new job and get in touch if you want to swap stories or chat to another newbie. We are in Burlington. Where in Toronto are you?

H
Hi ,
I am seriously considering moving to canada with my partner and 1 year old son toronto or burlington but have no idea what it involves and bit worried about schools ect for my son and jobs i am a heating engineer/plumber and my partner is a dental nurse is there a demand for this sort of thing there ?

any help to get us on our way to our new life would be so so greatfull i am 30 and my partner marie is 26 thankyou.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulmac
Hi ,
I am seriously considering moving to canada with my partner and 1 year old son toronto or burlington but have no idea what it involves and bit worried about schools ect for my son and jobs i am a heating engineer/plumber and my partner is a dental nurse is there a demand for this sort of thing there ?

any help to get us on our way to our new life would be so so greatfull i am 30 and my partner marie is 26 thankyou.
Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Rather than posting in the Canniversary section on other's threads, it would be better if you started your own in the relevant section of the forum (immigration, for visa related queries).

This Wiki article would be a good place to start, and there is loads of other info in there about visas, schools, etc, so start reading. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Beginner's_Guide_to_Canadian_Immigration

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 30th 2011 at 9:51 pm. Reason: Linky not worky
Old May 30th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Rather than posting in the Canniversary section on other's threads, it would be better if you started your own in the relevant section of the forum (immigration, for visa related queries).

This Wiki article would be a good place to start, and there is loads of other info in there about visas, schools, etc, so start reading. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Beginner's_Guide_to_Canadian_Immigration

Thanks mate
Old May 30th 2011, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate
No probs. While you're at it, could you pls take the time to read the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread? It includes a guide about which section of the forum is for what, and also forum netiquette (i.e. not posting the same question over and over again in other people's threads........).

Welcome to BE, shout with any questions or problems, and hope you find the answers you are after here.

Old May 30th 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No probs. While you're at it, could you pls take the time to read the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread? It includes a guide about which section of the forum is for what, and also forum netiquette (i.e. not posting the same question over and over again in other people's threads........).

Welcome to BE, shout with any questions or problems, and hope you find the answers you are after here.

haha gotcha i will do more reading
do you live out there?
Old May 30th 2011, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

haha gotcha i will do more reading
do you live out there?
Not at the mo, although I have in the past. Back in the UK for now, but may head out there again in the future when kids are older and we've finished our current project (renovating our house!).