Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

Old Apr 10th 2011, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Default 6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to say that we are here and very happy! I start a great job on Monday, much better that I would ever have found in Scotland

Hubbie is really happy in his work, and we move into our rented house on May 1st. Currently looking for furniture and (of course) really struggling! Canadians really do think that IKEA is the bees knees... and it's much more expensive here than UK IKEA!

We have had some issues with OHIP as when we set up our bank account we opted for online statements as we like to avoid excess paper.. Service Canada won't accept any other proof of address.. not even a letter from Service Canada!!! :curse: so we still have no coverage to come.

What else? Groceries are ridiculously expensive, and we miss diluting juice. BUT, we love the city. Spent 3.5hrs today wandering the neighbourhood, nosing in antique shops, having coffee, window shopping, and enjoying the sunshine. BLISS

Still too nervous to consider driving over here, which is posing endless problems with sourcing furniture, and ruling our craiglist and kijiji as shopping options

Our cat arrives on May 10th we hope. Lots of communication issues with the handling company, but we are staying positive that all will go well.

At least once a day I have the "this feels like a dream" feeling, and it's so great!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Neidpath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

Welcome! Glad all is going well. As for diluting juice - ( not that I drink it) but they have some orange and lemon stuff in Loblaws that looks like the kind of stuff I bought back in Scotland when the kids were small.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi,

Glad to hear you have had a great start...

We are in Toronto on a recce at the moment and sure we have made the right choice...just narrowing down the neighbourhoods.

We are shocked at the price of groceries too...went to Sobeys yesterday for some essentials...cold meat, cheese, bread,yoghurt etc... $90! Have since found a Metro so will try that next.

Good luck with your house move.

I know what you mean about the driving, around the city will be the same as any city I guess, but the thought of the 401 makes me shudder!

Best wishes

Deeny
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear things are going well for you so far.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Glad its working out. Check out different grocery stores, some are a lot more than others. No Frills is the cheapest around here... but I leave a little bit of my soul there everytime I shop there.

Got to get over the driving thing. You can save a lot on kiting out a house through craiglist and kijiji if nothing else. If necessary take a lesson or two to build up confidence. Its not like you need a PhD to cope (PhD is only mandatory for Taxi drivers... apparently) Watch out for those streetcars
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No Frills is the cheapest around here... but I leave a little bit of my soul there everytime I shop there.
If you really decide to stoop low, try Food Basics. It feels a little like shopping in Communist Soviet Union at times thanks to the fabulously long queues and depressed staff, but on the upside you do save money. Everytime I go there with my Canadian other half, I roll my eyes, then when you see the receipt you realise why you went. The depressing experience is ALMOST worth the money you save.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:12 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

How was your first day at work

As for driving, the roads in Toronto are set up in a simple North, South, East, West layout. Easy to negotiate. Honest !!

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 12th 2011 at 4:15 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Congratulations on the successful move.

Best wishes

Martin
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Shonas mum is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 6 weeks in... Glasgow to Toronto

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi everyone,

Just checking in to say that we are here and very happy! I start a great job on Monday, much better that I would ever have found in Scotland

Hubbie is really happy in his work, and we move into our rented house on May 1st. Currently looking for furniture and (of course) really struggling! Canadians really do think that IKEA is the bees knees... and it's much more expensive here than UK IKEA!

We have had some issues with OHIP as when we set up our bank account we opted for online statements as we like to avoid excess paper.. Service Canada won't accept any other proof of address.. not even a letter from Service Canada!!! :curse: so we still have no coverage to come.

What else? Groceries are ridiculously expensive, and we miss diluting juice. BUT, we love the city. Spent 3.5hrs today wandering the neighbourhood, nosing in antique shops, having coffee, window shopping, and enjoying the sunshine. BLISS

Still too nervous to consider driving over here, which is posing endless problems with sourcing furniture, and ruling our craiglist and kijiji as shopping options

Our cat arrives on May 10th we hope. Lots of communication issues with the handling company, but we are staying positive that all will go well.

At least once a day I have the "this feels like a dream" feeling, and it's so great!:
Hi there - I came to Alberta from Perth last Sept. and hubby was already working so when my dogs arrived in Calgary it was a case of ' If you dont hire a pick up and go for them - they aint gonna get here ' Calgary is a 2.5 hrs away - I was terrified - the trip took nearly 3 hrs each way - but it was in at deep end and I managed - so will you I am still shopping on Kijiji - looking for a dog pen just now before landlord takes down back fence to level back yard - problem is I need a big one at least 6ft high to keep in the devils children aka Alaskan Malamutes Ha Ha
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How was your first day at work

As for driving, the roads in Toronto are set up in a simple North, South, East, West layout. Easy to negotiate. Honest !!
Biggest scare was the turning right on a red traffic light - couldn't understand first couple of times why I was being tooted at and traffic passing on either side on dual carriageway - no overtaking lane - just go -at least that is how it is in Alberta.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shonas mum
Biggest scare was the turning right on a red traffic light - couldn't understand first couple of times why I was being tooted at and traffic passing on either side on dual carriageway - no overtaking lane - just go -at least that is how it is in Alberta.
See, I like both those things...

Technically of course slower trafic is supposed to stick to the right, so if somone is passing you on the right its cos you arent in the right lane anyway

My only concern with driving in Toronto is the need to keep an eye out for street cars, negotiating the one way bits without GPS and not getting stuck in the middle of a junction while turning left.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
See, I like both those things...

Technically of course slower trafic is supposed to stick to the right, so if somone is passing you on the right its cos you arent in the right lane anyway

My only concern with driving in Toronto is the need to keep an eye out for street cars, negotiating the one way bits without GPS and not getting stuck in the middle of a junction while turning left.
I stick to right hand lane but I've seen cars pass me, cut in and undertake the guy on the left - we have to be aware of freight trains in some parts of Lethbridge in industrial area as no barriers come down on the side streets - just have to be aware at crossing points and look.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Craigslist and Kijiji are awesome i kitted out my whole house from them. and not all second hand stuff either. they have cheap furniture dealers on there too.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shonas mum
give me that any day to driving here in the UK..yikes!!!..
Old Apr 17th 2011, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi everyone,

At least once a day I have the "this feels like a dream" feeling, and it's so great!
Good for you FS, glad it's workng out. Where are you living? Let me know if you want to meet for coffee/beers at some stage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.