Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 months done in Calgary, AB

6 months done in Calgary, AB

Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default 6 months done in Calgary, AB

Hi all,

Well, my hubby and I have been living in Calgary for 6 months now ....

Current status is:

1) I almost have a contract lined up with an oil company - should get the contract to sign next week.

2) Submitted hubby's PR application 2 months ago. The whole thing got returned to us because of one small error we made. This has delayed his PR status by about 3 months and so we have revised the application and will be re-submitting shortly.

3) In view of 2) above, hubby is going to have to return to the UK to work for what could be up to 1 year until his PR has come through and so that a) his career doesn't go down the pan, b) so he doesn't go crazy with boredom (he has been stuck here unable to work for the last 6 months), and so he can bring some money into the family again. We got married last year.

We have found Calgary to be a city geared up for working people. Downtown is deserted at the weekends, adult education courses only take place during the evenings, everything happens at the malls which are strategically located around the City. Infrastructure has a long way to go, the 'burbs' are pretty dull and we live in the burbs and plan to move to a neighbourhood where there is some sign of people being around. $1m properties are going up all over the place having taken the place of the old bungalow style properties. Generally it feels a bit isolated as there is no where to visit, and so the frontier town feel really applies.

We had thought about moving to Vancouver, but work is hard to come by there and property prices are exceptionally high. It is a better idea to retire there when you have made your stash.

We had also considered moving to Ontario because Hubby may have a better chance of finding work there in his field. However, a recent discussion I had with an oil industry professional suggests that hubby should be fine and will find work here afterall. Hubby is a mechanical engineer and will be looking to get his PEng etc. He is a chartered engineer back in the UK and has all the right credentials.

Neither of us are particularly keen on moving yet again since we have already done 1 major move across the pond and most of the N.American landmass as we are in Western Canada.

We are also struggling with the integration bit, easier for me as I have been working and interacting with people, but hasn't been the same for hubby. We have found Canadians to be a tad reticent (my sister-in-law is a great example and she is a Canadian). She just won't 'let us in' even though we keep on trying to break the ice.

We haven't bought a property yet as we both decided we both needed to be in jobs before getting a huge mortgage although we have substantial savings. We also weren't sure where we were going to end up in Canada, whether we would stay in Calgary, however this is where the work is.

Its not all bad, just the above major adjustments to be made.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:59 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 months done in Calgary, AB

Congrats on your first six months. Would it help if you joined some clubs or social groups?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AllyS - Congrats on getting to the 6 months mark. Sounds like your emigration is proving to be the rollercoaster ride that it is for so many of us that have made the move across. Fingers crossed your contract comes through and that your hubby's return to the UK goes well and is not as long a separation as you are figuring.

Spankysparkle - It's the first time that we have looked at your blog. Some beautiful shots on there.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

marika g will become famous soon enoughmarika g will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I think I know exactly how you feel. We have been here nearly two years and I am still not in a job that I can utilize my skills or even enjoy a little. My other half came over to work for the City Of Calgry as a heavy duty mechanic so, like yourself, he has made a network of friends etc. I, on the other hand have a couple of friends, one who I actually met back in Manchester on a conselling course we did together (which is now useless over here).

I am constantly searching for a better job. We bought a house but are now wondering if we should have held off as we still have british pounds held up in the bank waiting for the exchange rate to hopefully get better otherwise we will lose out on thousands.

For the first time I am actually feeling 'homesick' something I thought I would never say as I never particularly liked living in the U.K but sometimes compared to what we have to deal with here, such as the backward way of doing things (I'm sure you have come across) I wonder if we made the right decision??!!

I sure hope that things will work out for you and your hubby...it's a huge adjustment especially when you have to do all these stupid equivalency exams like my other half did and especially when all the professional development I did myself back in the U.K feels like a complete waste of time....because Canadian qualifications are second to none! (NOT!)

Anyway, I sure don't want to bring you down anymore than you might already feel. I guess I could relate to your posting and feel that I'm going through a bit of a blip at the moment. Not sure what to think to be honest.

Like I said...I hope things work out for you and you hubby. GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:26 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi AllyS - Congrats on getting to the 6 months mark. Sounds like your emigration is proving to be the rollercoaster ride that it is for so many of us that have made the move across. Fingers crossed your contract comes through and that your hubby's return to the UK goes well and is not as long a separation as you are figuring.

Spankysparkle - It's the first time that we have looked at your blog. Some beautiful shots on there.

Eamonn & Janet.
thanks!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:16 am
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice

hi allys, How things going so far? hope you are ajusting a bit better in the system.
Me and the wife might be looking to get to canada soon, hope its better by then.
wish you all the best.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

uk4canada will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

If I may add a little enthusiasm to this down trodden little gathering.

My wife and I move here in 2004, we have had a lot of troubles thrown at us to the point of us considering a separation. From rejection after rejection on the job front, to a flooded house, thousands of $$$ in damages, you name it.

So fast forward to today. We are happily married, have a wonderful 2 1/2 yr old son, another on the way. We are now Canadian citizens, enjoy life outdoors, hiking, biking, walking, skiing, skating.......bbq's in the summer sun, the amazing beer, hockey, and some really great friends.

Now I know that you will be finding it hard. the 6 month to 18 month time was the hardest for us. The 'honeymoon' period has worn off and you are starting to forget what brought you over here in the first place. It will get better.

Get out and about and dont limit yourself to Calgary. There is Airdrie, check out the Festival of Lights for Christmas (http://airdriefestivaloflights.moonfruit.com/) . Go to Calgary Zoo Christmas lights, they are amazing! (http://www.calgaryzoo.ab.ca/) . Buy yourself some ice skates and go out to Bowness Park in the NW. Take some hot choc in a flask, enjoy an evening wobbling on the lake and watch the firepits on the ice. Dont forget to take a camera with you everywhere you go and take pictures. This will help you look beyond the normal and ordinary and see the beautiful country you live in.

Realize that you have more here than the UK can offer. You will find happiness in your work, and your social lives. There are so many things to do, just take a little time out to find them, and if you are feeling like a little pick me up is needed, head out to Cochrane and a little bar called the Cumbrian Arms.....
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:22 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by uk4canada
Hi all,

My wife and I move here in 2004, we have had a lot of troubles thrown at us to the point of us considering a separation. From rejection after rejection on the job front, to a flooded house, thousands of $$$ in damages, you name it.

So fast forward to today. We are happily married, have a wonderful 2 1/2 yr old son, another on the way. We are now Canadian citizens, enjoy life outdoors, hiking, biking, walking, skiing, skating.......bbq's in the summer sun, the amazing beer, hockey, and some really great friends.

Now I know that you will be finding it hard. the 6 month to 18 month time was the hardest for us. The 'honeymoon' period has worn off and you are starting to forget what brought you over here in the first place. It will get better.

Get out and about and dont limit yourself to Calgary. There is Airdrie, check out the Festival of Lights for Christmas (http://airdriefestivaloflights.moonfruit.com/) . Go to Calgary Zoo Christmas lights, they are amazing! (http://www.calgaryzoo.ab.ca/) . Buy yourself some ice skates and go out to Bowness Park in the NW. Take some hot choc in a flask, enjoy an evening wobbling on the lake and watch the firepits on the ice. Dont forget to take a camera with you everywhere you go and take pictures. This will help you look beyond the normal and ordinary and see the beautiful country you live in.

Realize that you have more here than the UK can offer. You will find happiness in your work, and your social lives. There are so many things to do, just take a little time out to find them, and if you are feeling like a little pick me up is needed, head out to Cochrane and a little bar called the Cumbrian Arms.....
what a lovely post
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk4canada
Hi all,

Karma awarded for your positive attitude
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

asiablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

after reading your post i felt i needed to tell you about our experience in the immigration process. We too have been here 6 months living in Langley, BC on the outskirts of Vancouver, we both had jobs in the UK, i worked as maintenance engineer and my wife worked as a learning mentor in the education system.

We started the process in 2007 and i landed a job with construction company Graham in 2008 but hold ups in the PR process and me having to have 4 blood tests.....dont ask lol......meant we didnt receive our visa's till June 2010 so on July 23rd 2010 me my wife and 3 kids landed in vancouver where i was starting my job with Graham, but that didnt start till August 18....we stayed in a hotel for 2weeks VERY EXPENSIVE, until we were able to rent a small basement appartment, but with money running out fast my wife and the kids returned to the UK leaving me alone to start my job as a heavy duty mechanic and i settled in well and everyone was very friendly but night time was tough, being on my own and pining for home.

My wife flew back to canada in september leaving the kids in the UK with their grandmother, a heart wrenching decision but we are bringing them over in March 2011 for good.

In November we moved into a 3 bedroom town house in Langley a beautiful place, half hour drive from vancouver, 20mins from the US border, 3hrs from Whistler and spectacular views of the surrounding snowcapped mountains, and then i had a chance of a transfer with Graham to Fort Mcmurray, Alberta working as a mechanic in the oil sands, 2weeks on 1week off, so i started in december and i fly home every rotation and the money, WOW, my wife is finding part time work now, i think we have been very lucky but dont give up on your dream because there is more here then the UK can ever offer, if you have any questions dont hestitate to ask.

Goodluck

ps with your qualifications you would get a job up their no problem!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your replies everyone, just got around to re-checking my thread.

We have been here nearly a year (in May).

See my other thread 'Returning to the UK' to find out where we are at.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Menschlein is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings to all. Alberta can be challenging indeed. Stick in there it will all work out in the end. Jobs are hard to come by in Canada period, we know, have been here since 1964. Unless you have a support system, and most immigrants don't, you are on your own. We moved our family during the first of several lay-offs from Ontario to Calgary in Feb/March 1976 in an old overhauled Eatons Catalogue van. Had a puncture in a blizzard on the Praries, talk about cold. Besides living in a converted garage in Naton the one good thing I remember of our 3 year Alberta experience was the Nanton TAP, fresh mountain water. We have lived in Ontario ever since, and would you belive it, endlessly homesick, hubby for Yorkshire England, I am for Berlin Germany. I miss the culture of Europe, the precision, the beautiful parks, Spring flowers, the humour, the laughter .... Best of Luck... Oh yes, check out Drumheller.

Menschlein