3 months today....

Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice
Default 3 months today....

Hi we landed on the 30 June 2010, with no place to stay (very worried) . We booked in to the Hampton Inn, Barre for 9 days and began our search for a home, school, all admin task's.

We found a 3bed house in the southeast of Barre, I got a job as an accountant, but have since decided to change career. I have taken my ATS exams to become a police officer, so I am soon to make an application to our local police service.

The kids love their school, daughter has settled in very well, son has gone back a year due to age and month of birth, so is now part time schooling (shame) in the UK he would have been year 1.

But in general our children love their new lives in Canada, husband has just passed GED and Canadian Firearms Safety course, (he was a police constable in uk) he hopes to join the police here to continue his police service.

Our sub-division (estate) is so quiet, so unlike our home town in GB.

If anyone lives in Barre, I would love to meet up for a cuppa. Will keep you all updated as our time goes by.

Mel ::
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months today....

Hi

Congratulations. So pleased to hear it's going well. Where is Barre though?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:00 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Sixty miles north of Toronto. Straight up Hwy 400.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Aaahh yes. For some reason I thought it was spelt Barrie!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

OK smart arse, yep it's Barrie....ovboiulsy sepll cehck wsan't wroikng!!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 3 months today....

Originally Posted by minxymel
We found a 3 bed house in the southeast of Barrie, I got a job as an accountant, but have since decided to change career. I have taken my ATS exams to become a police officer, so I am soon to make an application to our local police service.

The kids love their school, daughter has settled in very well, son has gone back a year due to age and month of birth, so is now part time schooling (shame) in the UK he would have been year 1.

If anyone lives in Barrie, I would love to meet up for a cuppa. Will keep you all updated as our time goes by.

Hi Mel. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on housing in the area. We're looking to move around July but we're doing a recce trip at the start of January. My wife likes the look of the Wasaga Beach area, but I'm more open to offers anywhere in the Simcoe County. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

voyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the rough

Hi we landed on the 30 June 2010, with no place to stay (very worried) . We booked in to the Hampton Inn, Barre for 9 days and began our search for a home, school, all admin task's.

We found a 3bed house in the southeast of Barre, I got a job as an accountant, but have since decided to change career. I have taken my ATS exams to become a police officer, so I am soon to make an application to our local police service.

But in general our children love their new lives in Canada, husband has just passed GED and Canadian Firearms Safety course, (he was a police constable in uk) he hopes to join the police here to continue his police service.

If anyone lives in Barre, I would love to meet up for a cuppa. Will keep you all updated as our time goes by.

Hi Mel, We did a trip up to Barrie on a recce trip a few years ago. It's a place we are now thinking of moving to, if and when we can sell up in the UK. It would be great to get the low down on the pros and cons on the area.

Where was your home town in the UK?

Great news that everything has gone so well for you since you arrived in Canada.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Melscorp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel,

I am glad I saw your post.

My daughter and I came here from the U.K. in September 2009 and Sick Kids discovered that she has two chronic diseases (possibly three)(She is still under care at Sick Kids) and although we were tooing and froing, we have decided to try and make Canada our home.

My husband is still in the U.K. and I would be interested to find out, if you shipped anything and who you used to ship stuff. What methods did you use to transfer money/ currency?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Mel x

P.S. My daughter's daycare headmistress resides in Barrie.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

Hi Mel
we stayed at the Hampton in Barrie from July 6 to 8...probably sat next to you at breakfast lol!!!! We live up near the Georgian Mall and love it
Old Oct 19th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

spencerbear is a jewel in the roughspencerbear is a jewel in the roughspencerbear is a jewel in the roughspencerbear is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Barrie!!! We moved over from Wales last October - its a great place isn't it. Certainly does seem to be becoming a popular place with brits now. Love the fact we are close enough to Toronto if we want to pop down there but also far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle. Excited as we are moving in to our own place on the 29th (2 days after our Canniversary!) and have never felt homesick since we arrived. In fact, we both feel far more settled here that we did in the UK .

Hope you are settling in well - PM us if you have any questions about the area.

Last edited by spencerbear; Oct 19th 2010 at 6:38 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel,

We live in South East Barrie too, well I say live, we have a house there that we spend a couple of months a year in (Christmas & Summer) and rent it out for the rest. We still live and work in the UK but are going through the PR process at the moment.

We love the area, as you say a nice quiet and we have loads of friends we miss when we're not there. Back in 53 days!

Chris
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and good luck with the transition to "the job"

Let us know how you get on with it!

All the best!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Jojojane is an unknown quantity at this point

WELLDONE!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

Hi Mel. I hope you don't mind me asking but when's your son's birthday? We are waiting for our passport request and hope to move around Easter time all going well. My son's birthday is 31 Dec and so I had the choice to start him at school here at 4 and a half or 5 and a half. I chose the former and I am just wondering if you made the decision to put your son back a year when you moved or if the school guided you?

Glad to hear you have settled in well. Enjoy yourselves!

Wendy
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Hagar638 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mel well done. We are a family sitting in Shrewsbury looking to move to Barrie when my daughter finishes Uni in 18 months. What is the work situation like and what has been your biggest challenge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.