46 years !!

Old Mar 11th 2015, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default 46 years !!

We left the UK in August 1967 for Texas, and then moved up to Vancouver the next year

We will celebrate 46 years in Vancouver this coming August ............ and I will soon celebrate 41 years as a Canadian citizen.

I'm very proud of the fact that my citizenship is dated 4 days before my daughter was born

We've never been sorry that we came here ............. and we have not the slightest regret in leaving the UK

Our daughter now lives in Nova Scotia.

Did you know it costs more and takes almost as long to get from Vancouver to Nova Scotia as it does to get to the UK???
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 46 years !!

Congratulations and a belated welcome!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:20 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and hopefully many more good years to follow
Old Apr 13th 2015, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

GMS_AMS is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW - congratulations scilly.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We left the UK in August 1967 for Texas, and then moved up to Vancouver the next year

We will celebrate 46 years in Vancouver this coming August ............ and I will soon celebrate 41 years as a Canadian citizen.

I'm very proud of the fact that my citizenship is dated 4 days before my daughter was born

We've never been sorry that we came here ............. and we have not the slightest regret in leaving the UK

Did you know it costs more and takes almost as long to get from Vancouver to Nova Scotia as it does to get to the UK???
It's crazy pricey to get to Nova Scotia, I looked into going once as it looks like a really nice place, but the cost just to get there is just too much.

Can you fly into the Eastern US and drive up to Nova Scotia? I am sure it's possible, just don't know what airport on the US side would be best.

In 10 years in total, I have yet to take a Canadian domestic flight....

Congrats on your time here! This will be my 9th year since getting PR and 10th since moving, or maybe 11, I lost track now...lol
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's crazy pricey to get to Nova Scotia, I looked into going once as it looks like a really nice place, but the cost just to get there is just too much.

Can you fly into the Eastern US and drive up to Nova Scotia? I am sure it's possible, just don't know what airport on the US side would be best.

In 10 years in total, I have yet to take a Canadian domestic flight....

Congrats on your time here! This will be my 9th year since getting PR and 10th since moving, or maybe 11, I lost track now...lol
Of course you can, Bangor International in Maine is the closest then it's a short 7hr drive to Halifax
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

On all of the above congratulations & well done

We came in April 1967 & like you "not the slightest regret"

First trip back to the UK was 27 December 1968 on a charter flight with Braniff International airlines from Malton airport to Abbotsinch Airport (not Prestwick) Scotland, $180 return per person (still have the stub), bus to Glasgow central, then train to Liverpool - 9 days later back to Canada.

Flights in September this year from Toronto (via SFO)) to Sydney Australia on Air New Zealand is a 22 hour flight time for $1926 return per person, which by comparison is a bargain compared to flights across Canada or the high season to the UK

Last edited by not2old; Apr 20th 2015 at 10:13 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
On all of the above congratulations & well done

We came in April 1967 & like you "not the slightest regret" .

First trip back to the UK was 27 December 1968 on a charter flight with Braniff International airlines from Malton airport to Abbotsinch Airport (not Prestwick) Scotland, $180 return per person (still have the stub), bus to Glasgow central, then train to Liverpool - 9 days later back to Canada.

Flights in September this year from Toronto (via SFO)) to Sydney Australia on Air New Zealand is a 22 hour flight time for $1926 return per person, which by comparison is a bargain compared to flights across Canada or the high season to the UK
Thank you ................. and congratulations to you also!

Good lord ............... Braniff International

Did the cabin crew do a strip tease on the way across the Atlantic??

We flew from New York to Texas on Braniff in August 1967 ............ the cabin crew wore uniforms designed by Pucci in wild colours and patterns. Each plane was painted in one of the colours from that uniform ............. bright orange, purple, lime green, etc.

OH knew but didn't warn me what was to come ............ the uniform consisted of a jacket and skirt, lightweight blouse or tunic top, and tights, all in the Pucci pattern.

The stewardesses (as they were then called, no men allowed as cabin crew!!) gradually removed the top layers until they were dressed in the tunic top and tights

then they put on an apron to serve the meal ...... and eventually gradually put the outer layers back on

it was all quite hilarious
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

Congratulations, you make me feel like a newbie! We came to Ontario in 1971 with two little girls in tow.
I worked for Ontario Power Generation for 30 years and retired at 56.
We have lived In Nova Scotia for 12 years now which has it's cons. but the Atlantic coast line and scenery more than make up for them.
Our daughters and their families are well established and our five granddaughters, aged 18 to 25 are a joy. One granddaughter has now completed the circle and is working on a farm in Shropshire! Go figure that!
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edwinslad
Congratulations, you make me feel like a newbie! We came to Ontario in 1971 with two little girls in tow.
We have lived In Nova Scotia for 12 years now which has it's cons. but the Atlantic coast line and scenery more than make up for them.
Our daughters and their families are well established and our five granddaughters, aged 18 to 25 are a joy. One granddaughter has now completed the circle and is working on a farm in Shropshire! Go figure that!
Congratulations to you also...

Seems not everyone is returning or looking to return to the UK....
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by edwinslad
Congratulations to you!

My daughter has lived in NS for almost 16 years ............ an I still have trouble working out which is North Shore and South Shore!

I love visiting NS, and agree about the scenery, etc .......... but the Banana Belt still has me enthralled

Is your granddaughter enjoying working on the farm?