Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years and hate it!!

2 Years and hate it!!

Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

alipeesha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 Years and hate it!!

i think this thread has turned into a 'dental 'post! or more rant about dentistry!my grandad lived on an island off ireland and he had toothach when he was 20... he decided to have all his teeth taken out to avoid it happening again.. drastic eh.. but cheaper!!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:26 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawan.chopra
Dentists want to see you and clean your teeth whenever you visit them.
Sounds like a living hell.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I've heard that other countries view British Dentistry as archaic.
I dont know about that but in my view, Canadian teeth seem to be in so much better shape
And you know this how ?? do you work in the dental business.. ??
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 12:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
And you know this how ?? do you work in the dental business.. ??
Because thats all I seem to hear. My mother lives in Germany now and thats all she hears too, shes a nurse so her opinion counts for more than mine (in my view)
And you only have to look at peoples teeth here to get an idea... is that ok for you?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
UK dentists used to complain about not getting enough money to do what they considered proper dentistry - hence going private. It was always considered (not necessarily accurately) that they did unnecessary work to make up for income they couldn't get doing what they wanted to.

I think a greater emphasis on making money regardless of something needing to be done.

As mentioned, dentists here encourage full take up of your insurance coverage before the end of the year. That doesn't really suggest prevention if the motivation is using up whatever insurance is available.

British teeth have long been laughed at compared to North America but I think that's just because the cosmetic aspect has been rated more importantly than in the UK.

Yet there are people walking around here with barely any teeth in their mouth because they can't afford dental work. Mildly crooked or uneven, but healthy for everyone is a better idea than nice looking and (unnaturally?) white for some and non existent for many others isn't it?

One thing I've noticed here (Montreal as well as Moncton) is that dentists advertise "your smile" and I think that speaks volumes about their priority.

So true. I've seen some terrible teeth, or lack of here. Toothless, broken, black stubs, no dentures. Certainly I don't see as many fillings on x-rays I take but many more people, and younger too, have dentures that need to come out before I can take my picture.

Because thats all I seem to hear. My mother lives in Germany now and thats all she hears too, shes a nurse so her opinion counts for more than mine (in my view)
And you only have to look at peoples teeth here to get an idea... is that ok for you?
Not for me, no. Being a nurse does not give you any more insight into the quality of dentristy than a plumber would have over gardening. British dentristry is perceived to be bad which is not the same as it being bad.

As for looking at people's teeth, well that has been covered. If you have money or insurance cover your teeth will be fine if not unnaturally white.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So true. I've seen some terrible teeth, or lack of here. Toothless, broken, black stubs, no dentures. Certainly I don't see as many fillings on x-rays I take but many more people, and younger too, have dentures that need to come out before I can take my picture.

Not for me, no. Being a nurse does not give you any more insight into the quality of dentristy than a plumber would have over gardening. British dentristry is perceived to be bad which is not the same as it being bad.

As for looking at people's teeth, well that has been covered. If you have money or insurance cover your teeth will be fine if not unnaturally white.
If you read my first post properly you will see that I said "I have heard" and thats my view. I am just answering a the question from clay, asking if I am in the dental business, I am not, thats just my view on what I can see.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

If you read my first post properly you will see that I said "I have heard" and thats my view. I am just answering a the question from clay, asking if I am in the dental business, I am not, thats just my view on what I can see.
I was answering the post where you said as your mumagreed with you and as she is a nurse then she is better qualified to comment on the standard of dentistry.

I don't believe that I objected to you presenting your view, but then I may not have read my post properly.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:31 am
Happy

I was answering the post where you said as your mumagreed with you and as she is a nurse then she is better qualified to comment on the standard of dentistry.

I don't believe that I objected to you presenting your view, but then I may not have read my post properly.
I was asked why I had that view by Clay, so I answered it. Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned my mothers view, but then its all she hears in Germany too. Her dentist there is horrified by her teeth as was mine here when he looked at a crown I have, thats messed up btw.
As is most things in life, we tend to have an opinion based on our own experiences, they dont have to be in agreement, but we are allowed them
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Howefamily;10520788]Because thats all I seem to hear. My mother lives in Germany now and thats all she hears too, shes a nurse so her opinion counts for more than mine (in my view)
And you only have to look at peoples teeth here to get an idea... is that ok

seriously ??? i will have to bow to your teeth knowledge.. I would have no idea,
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:04 pm
limey party pooper

I was asked why I had that view by Clay, so I answered it. Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned my mothers view, but then its all she hears in Germany too. Her dentist there is horrified by her teeth as was mine here when he looked at a crown I have, thats messed up btw.
As is most things in life, we tend to have an opinion based on our own experiences, they dont have to be in agreement, but we are allowed them
Yes we are but mostly it is better to base those opinions on something more substantial.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:03 pm
Happy

[QUOTE=clay;10522118]
And you only have to look at peoples teeth here to get an idea... is that ok

seriously ??? i will have to bow to your teeth knowledge.. I would have no idea,
thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:04 pm
Happy

Yes we are but mostly it is better to base those opinions on something more substantial.
there are so many posts on here based on opinion that I am suprised that you have bothered to make that arguement.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

arctic_gardener is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about Ontario, but in Saskatchewan, the smaller the town, the more UNfriendly the people are.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arctic_gardener
I don't know about Ontario, but in Saskatchewan, the smaller the town, the more UNfriendly the people are.
Local schmocals.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:44 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

you cant beleive everything you read/hear. prince george for instance is the worst crime city in the world ever statistically - except its not. the year they are taking the stats from had 0 murders. other cities had double figure murders and still scored lower than my fair city. pah.
people here have been nothing but nice to me, i got a job by accident as a scrapbooking teacher and almost volunteered for the first few weks until the boss could justify paying me. now he is begging me to work longer and more because i speak to the customers and he wants to encourage his other staff to be more chatty!
hubbys job he is treated very very well for what in the uk got him about £12 ph. and there were three people waiting to take his job if he didnt do what the boss wanted. here the boss treats him with respect and he is a valued member of the team.
the kids are not bullied in school, especially my autistic son who was physically and verbally abused daily in one of the better schools in hampshire, uk. here nothing, its not tolerated at his school and instead of cossetting the perps they exclude them and they are not quick to repeat the process.
we have made many friends, only one of whom is a brit, the rest are canucks and although there are some gaping differences in the way we do things and see things its a great fun learning experience.

im sorry OP is not having a great time in toronto, maybe try a different town, or even province (if visa allows)
re the dr and dentist we have great coverage thru the union so it doesnt really bother us.
they do drive ridiculously slow but up here in the sticks if you are going more than 40 in 2' of snow and a moose the size of a minivan steps out on the road, slow is good trust me

its a big change and it wont suit some people, but id deffo recommend doing your homework and if ness volunteer, at the very least you will get out and meet people, and you will get a character ref from a canadian - counts for a LOT when you are trying to get in the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.