Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years and hate it!!

2 Years and hate it!!

Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years and hate it!!

Originally Posted by alipeesha
I wish i ran the NHS! i think it depends on the dentist sadly
il give you free s&p when i make it as a dentist in albert!.. hoping i wont be 90 by the time i qualify!
It sounds like you will be 29, which is young!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is it true that NHS dental checkups are far less rigorous than private checkups? It seems you have to have some serious or obvious decay going on before an NHS checkup will recommend treatment,
UK dentists used to complain about not getting enough money to do what they considered proper dentistry - hence going private. It was always considered (not necessarily accurately) that they did unnecessary work to make up for income they couldn't get doing what they wanted to.

but when I go to the private dentist it's picked up very quickly. Perhaps a greater emphasis on prevention than in the NHS?
I think a greater emphasis on making money regardless of something needing to be done.

As mentioned, dentists here encourage full take up of your insurance coverage before the end of the year. That doesn't really suggest prevention if the motivation is using up whatever insurance is available.

British teeth have long been laughed at compared to North America but I think that's just because the cosmetic aspect has been rated more importantly than in the UK.

Yet there are people walking around here with barely any teeth in their mouth because they can't afford dental work. Mildly crooked or uneven, but healthy for everyone is a better idea than nice looking and (unnaturally?) white for some and non existent for many others isn't it?

One thing I've noticed here (Montreal as well as Moncton) is that dentists advertise "your smile" and I think that speaks volumes about their priority.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
UK dentists used to complain about not getting enough money to do what they considered proper dentistry - hence going private. It was always considered (not necessarily accurately) that they did unnecessary work to make up for income they couldn't get doing what they wanted to.

Yet there are people walking around here with barely any teeth in their mouth because they can't afford dental work. Mildly crooked or uneven, but healthy for everyone is a better idea than nice looking and (unnaturally?) white for some and non existent for many others isn't it?

One thing I've noticed here (Montreal as well as Moncton) is that dentists advertise "your smile" and I think that speaks volumes about their priority.
Yes, indeed.

BTW, how do you quote a previous post in two or more places (especially when from two different posters)?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed.
No idea.

BTW, how do you quote a previous post in two or more places (especially when from two different posters)?
HTH.

<use the multiquote button for different posters. just to the right of the quote button>
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:19 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No idea.

HTH.

<use the multiquote button for different posters. just to the right of the quote button>
Gracias
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Gracias
de nada.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;

<use the multiquote button for different posters. just to the right of the quote button>[/QUOTE]

Novo and Shard...you little beauties, I've puzzled over that one on multiple occasions...many thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipeesha
Im going to add to the rant! Im an irish qualified dentist working fo rthe last 5 years in scotland with the NHS... I have applied for PR to go to alberta.. they dont see my degree or experience as ANYTHING.. if i wan tto work as a dentist i would prob have to apply for 2 years of college at £50000 each year... i think i would charge £500 for each scaling appt! a bit more expensive than NHS £10.20! why is it tho that our degrees dont mean a thing..? as you say why doesnt experience even give us a chance..?
Yup, our venerated ex mod biiiink could tell you all about it.

Its not the only profession like that though, and knowing it in advance you make the decision to come to Canada or not with your eyes open and if you decide to try Canada anyway (why would you?), dont whine about it after you get here.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that other countries view British Dentistry as archaic.
I dont know about that but in my view, Canadian teeth seem to be in so much better shape
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I've heard that other countries view British Dentistry as archaic.
I dont know about that but in my view, Canadian teeth seem to be in so much better shape
Those that can afford the treatment anyway. On the other hand Ive seen some absolute shockers among those that cant...
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:12 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by iaink
Those that can afford the treatment anyway. On the other hand Ive seen some absolute shockers among those that cant...
Is there NO provincial dental care in Canada? (None, like the States?)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Is there NO provincial dental care in Canada? (None, like the States?)
In Ontario there is a bare bones safety net for those on very low (welfare) incomes, that basically covers extractions and little else. Tends to be done via the heath units IIRC.

There is also a rudimentary program for kids under 17, from families with incomes below $20k

This piece was written by a neighbour of mine....
http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-72/issue-1/47.pdf

Last edited by iaink; Feb 1st 2013 at 6:02 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by iaink
In Ontario there is a bare bones safety net for those on very low (welfare) incomes, that basically covers extractions and little else. Tends to be done via the heath units IIRC.

There is also a rudimentary program for kids under 17, from families with incomes below $20k

This piece was written by a neighbour of mine....
http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-72/issue-1/47.pdf
Some safety net is a lot better than none. Interesting piece. It's difficult to assess need for dental care, plenty of people will delay or avoid dentist visits out of fear or because they do not subscribe to preventative care. It does seem that the NHS is better in this respect (dental care for all, if you can find it!).
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:28 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Long first post for a wind up?

Fun tho
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Some safety net is a lot better than none. Interesting piece.
Its basically the same here as most of the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.