Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 years and hate it 2

2 years and hate it 2

Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:16 pm
April 2009

rugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years and hate it 2

Originally Posted by Jingle
Jaye944 - sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time.

Can anyone explain why, when someone comes on the board to express their unhappiness, we argue how wonderful our bit of Canada is whilst trying to convince them to persevere?!

If you are unhappy then ....

If you can move on .... go back to UK

If you can't move just yet .... make the best of a bad job. Nowhere (not even Mississauga) is all bad. Take up a new hobby; take a training course; spend time planning how/when you can move back to UK; remember the planning that we all did before coming to Canada - just do it in reverse.

I have spent about 30% of my adult life outside England. Nowhere is the same; each country has its positives and negatives.

I'm sorry Jaye944 your list is superficial at best - although I concede that the niggles are probably important to you. If you like making lists why don't you make a positive and negative list of both countries to fairly compare - if England still wins then pack your bags and good luck to you and your family.

J
Jingle,
what a lovely warm, kind & thoughtful response compared to the rather singular tracked haters who so often reply to these types of post.
Good advice, too!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:28 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944
1> That, "there's no place like home" queue Judy Garland
Quite. But this is your new, self chosen, home

2> I miss drving my Porsche (sold her) and driving on the correct side of the road
Surely it wasn't a surprise that Canada drives on the right?

3> I miss decent food
You must have found something you like here?

4> I miss not being tailgated at 100kmph's on the 401
Rookie mistake. Do about 115 (in the right hand lanes) and you'll be alright

5> My daughter has challenges and advantages in any country
No comment

6> The UK school system works ! Never done my nuffink wrong
As does the Canadian one

7> I hate having to park facing the right way down the road
Seriously?

8> I hate getting tickets outside my house at 3am in the morning
Don't disobey the parking rules. Many cities don't allow parking on city streets during particular hours. I think 2am-6am is common?

9> I hate having to shuffle 2 cars around
Not as difficult as shuffling yourselves around to work with 1 car I'd imagine

10> I HATE doctors here, diabetes care in the UK is better than anywhere
Again the healthcare here is fine but generally not as comprehensive as back home.

11> Its called fish and CHIPS and its a can of coke not a POP
I'll let you off with this one

12> Its called Petrol not GAS
Meh. Not really a big deal.

13> I miss my dancing, my social life, my friends
Obviously you can't have the same friends but surely the others can be accommodated here too?

14> I hate to admit it I MISS my old job
The "tinted spectacles" effect

15> $250 a month for car insurance , for a crappy Dodge Neon (I was paying £400 a year for my Porsche)
Yep...it's a rip off here.

16> I hate starting again , all over again
Life.

Last edited by orly; Aug 25th 2013 at 11:41 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

hehehehe

boy what a struggle, I read my old posts and though, jeez what a div !

Hey I'm older and wiser... Since coming I learnt

1> That, "there's no place like home" queue Judy Garland
2> I miss drving my Porsche (sold her) and driving on the correct side of the road
3> I miss decent food
4> I miss not being tailgated at 100kmph's on the 401
5> My daughter has challenges and advantages in any country
6> The UK school system works ! Never done my nuffink wrong
7> I hate having to park facing the right way down the road
8> I hate getting tickets outside my house at 3am in the morning
9> I hate having to shuffle 2 cars around
10> I HATE doctors here, diabetes care in the UK is better than anywhere
11> Its called fish and CHIPS and its a can of coke not a POP
12> Its called Petrol not GAS
13> I miss my dancing, my social life, my friends
14> I hate to admit it I MISS my old job
15> $250 a month for car insurance , for a crappy Dodge Neon (I was paying £400 a year for my Porsche)
16> I hate starting again , all over again
any chance you could post as to what you don't miss about the UK?

And whether you'll be moving back to the UK - if so when?

Then again the OP hasn't posted since Feb 15, 2013 - maybe he's back in the UK

Last edited by not2old; Aug 25th 2013 at 11:39 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:39 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

2> Jobs: regardless of what you've been told, if your anglo, with an anglo accent, caucasian, have all the work ettiquetts and skills you are 110%; you WILL STILL NEED Canadian expereince; it sucks, unless your quals are 100% international and verifiable, they mean jack here, your references from UK work mean jack here, (even your car insurance NO claims discount means JACK here). You will end up (unless you have made arrangements) on a minimum wage job or even volenteer work to get this CE.
False. Source: me.

I came here and got a skilled job (as a temporary work permit holder at the time) in a role for which I have no actual qualifications and no professional work experience, let alone this "Canadian Experience" I hear people mentioning from time to time. I was completely self taught but I could show the employer I knew exactly what I was doing and evidently they were happy enough to go with me after they had searched for months to find a "Canadian" to no avail. Even after delays in processing my permanent residence my employer held my position open for full 2 months rather than just ditch me.

My impression is that employers here are just as flexible as they are back in the UK. Perhaps even more so as my situation would suggest. They deal with immigrants as a matter of course and don't actively seek to penalise them or hold them to a higher standard than a local. Sure there will be lame employers but such is life. If you can show you can do the job you have as good a shout as anyone else.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out that this thread is from February!!

Not quite sure why rugbymum has decided to revive it after so long, but as the OP hasn't been on the forum for over 6 months I'll close it now as she's unlikely to reply.

OP, if you do come back and want it reopened, then just PM a mod.

Thx.