Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 years and hate it 2

2 years and hate it 2

Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years and hate it 2

But I thought Canada is similar to England, we speak the same language right ?

LOL

Originally Posted by izzi81
You do know you moved to a foreign country, where they do things differently? Didn't you know that before you went?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I have finally settled after a rough patch lasting close to 5 years, I do find your list rather pathetic.

I miss 'home', I miss my friends and my family, I miss culture. Going down the pub on a friday not to get rat-assed but to have a good chin wag with those you work with or just merely catching up with an old friend.

I miss the cold and rainy seasons, the days where you just want to get home and sit in front of the fire and watch the tele. England will always be in my heart and I have now started to embrace Canada, I think that's part of the reason I didn't like it here, I wanted what I lost and couldn't have it and it sent a burning rage toward Canada unjustifiably.

Honestly grab a friend from work go sign up for a bowling league or a pool league and once a week go out enjoy yourself (responsably), and learn to enjoy it.

Once you have a day of the week to look forward to and a nice family, good co-workers and some optimism it is surprising how much you forget about missing 'home'.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
The OP could buy a Porsche in Canada, I suspect it is more than a car thing.
My husband constantly misses the Porsche....and we never had one
Old Feb 16th 2013, 12:39 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 20 years on and miss nothing.

Biggest gripe, the total ignorance of Canadian English and diabollockal spelling, we're not Americans! Even in Britain they struggle with the proper English.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Andy_Zena is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost 2 years and going strong, you are a guest in another country, embrace it, learn to love it and have no regrets. It is nothing more than just "different". Having worked in China, Dubai and then Canada you learn to appreciate it can never be your home country, if it was why would you have left!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:54 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side

1) Ice hockey
2) poutine
3) snow
4) no damn speed cameras
5) more snow

Do miss the old BBC and having a quality internet connection that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but I guess you can't win them all
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by jaye944
hehehehe

boy what a struggle, I read my old posts and though, jeez what a div !

Hey I'm older and wiser...

Since coming I learnt

1> That, "there's no place like home" queue Judy Garland
2> I miss drving my Porsche (sold her) and driving on the correct side of the road
3> I miss decent food
4> I miss not being tailgated at 100kmph's on the 401
5> My daughter has challenges and advantages in any country
6> The UK school system works ! Never done my nuffink wrong
7> I hate having to park facing the right way down the road - if I went to The UK and parked the wrong way, who would be in the right?
8> I hate getting tickets outside my house at 3am in the morning
9> I hate having to shuffle 2 cars around
10> I HATE doctors here, diabetes care in the UK is better than anywhere
11> Its called fish and CHIPS and its a can of coke not a POP - see re 'Gas'.
12> Its called Petrol not GAS - if I went to The UK and called it 'Gas', who would be in the right? 13> I miss my dancing, my social life, my friends
14> I hate to admit it I MISS my old job
15> $250 a month for car insurance , for a crappy Dodge Neon (I was paying £400 a year for my Porsche)
16> I hate starting again , all over again
I think we see the problem here.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried Canada, well Toronto and now I am in Montreal and it's not great. Everything seems so complicated so back to England I go in July

Life is too short to stay somewhere and to be in something when you're not happy
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
I have tried Canada, well Toronto and now I am in Montreal and it's not great. Everything seems so complicated so back to England I go in July

Life is too short to stay somewhere and to be in something when you're not happy
Just out of interest what do you find so complicated? I think a lot of things might seem more complicated because it's a foreign country. Years ago I moved from Germany to England and then 3 years ago from England to Canada and I found setting things up equally complicated.

Good luck with the move back!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto

Canada is behind The UK in most things which actually makes it a much simplier country to live in, in my opinion. I think you actually mean 'different' which reasonable people accept as normal when they emigrate:

'Complications' of Life in The UK (a short list):

1) Have you translated a HMRC Tax Credit assessment, or Pension calculation recently?
2) Do you enjoy paying Council Tax as a renter?
3) Do you like keeping your Road Tax up to date?
4) How much time do you spend and loose on opportunity cost of comparing your Gas/Electric providers in The UK? Just go with BC Hydro, and all fine.
5) Parking is a joy in The UK is it not, or do you like arguing with your neighbours over inches and walking your shopping down the road in the rain?
6) Ever work in London and cram yourself onto the Tube or train every day?
7) Love that TV Licence fee, do you not?

Just accept the 1990s music on the radio in Canada and get Netflix.

FROTSUK
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
Canada is behind The UK in most things which actually makes it a much simplier country to live in, in my opinion. I think you actually mean 'different' which reasonable people accept as normal when they emigrate:

'Complications' of Life in The UK (a short list):

1) Have you translated a HMRC Tax Credit assessment, or Pension calculation recently? at least for most you are PAYE so you dont need to do tax returns at all in the UK
2) Do you enjoy paying Council Tax as a renter? Do you not think the landlord has included that in your total rent??
3) Do you like keeping your Road Tax up to date? Car registration tax is the same must be kept up to date each year
4) How much time do you spend and loose on opportunity cost of comparing your Gas/Electric providers in The UK? Just go with BC Hydro, and all fine. at least you have a choice
5) Parking is a joy in The UK is it not, or do you like arguing with your neighbours over inches and walking your shopping down the road in the rain? Granted i like parking in my garage and not getting wet..but i can park my car any which way round i want in the UK
6) Ever work in London and cram yourself onto the Tube or train every day? Do they even have passengers trains in Canada for commuters???
7) Love that TV Licence fee, do you not? Do you love paying $xxx each month for shit Canadian TV?

Just accept the 1990s music on the radio in Canada and get Netflix.

FROTSUK
See for every argument their is a counter argument..it is what it is really
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Back when I rented in Canada my rent was the same for 4 years. As the building assesment and the tax rate inceased each of those years but my rent did not its safe to say that I was sheltered from the real property tax cost to some extent as it rose....

No MOT here and license and taxation fees are a lot less expensive, not to mention the CO2 tax tiering in the UK which seems more complex.

Certainly commuter trains in most large cities here, Toronto, MOntreal etc

I dont pay anything for TV, there is no legal requirement for a license here.

If I could be arsed I could get "free over air" service with an antenna, but like you say its mostly dross so we dont bother. I will concede that the broadcast programing that the UK license gives you access to is much better value than cable or satellite here, but Ive been free of the affliction/addiction now for more than 2 years and life is better without it.

Id say that things are not more complicated here, but its different in some respects so there is a period of adjustment getting used to how things are done, thats all. Id certainly feel the same way about the complications if moving back to the UK now and it doesnt make the feeling of frustration any less real for those caught up in it. Given time though it becomes "normal".

Last edited by iaink; Mar 21st 2013 at 9:04 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

speaking as someone renting in the UK and who has been for 7 years... my rent never included the council tax, that was always something I paid myself on top of the rent I paid to my landlords. If the tax went up I had to pay it, and when my rent goes up (which it does, way too often) I have to pay that too.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:33 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Back when I rented in Canada my rent was the same for 4 years. As the building assesment and the tax rate inceased each of those years but my rent did not its safe to say that I was sheltered from the real property tax cost to some extent as it rose....

No MOT here and license and taxation fees are a lot less expensive, not to mention the CO2 tax tiering in the UK which seems more complex.

Certainly commuter trains in most large cities here, Toronto, MOntreal etc

I dont pay anything for TV, there is no legal requirement for a license here.

If I could be arsed I could get "free over air" service with an antenna, but like you say its mostly dross so we dont bother. I will concede that the broadcast programing that the UK license gives you access to is much better value than cable or satellite here, but Ive been free of the affliction/addiction now for more than 2 years and life is better without it.

Id say that things are not more complicated here, but its different in some respects so there is a period of adjustment getting used to how things are done, thats all. Id certainly feel the same way about the complications if moving back to the UK now and it doesnt make the feeling of frustration any less real for those caught up in it. Given time though it becomes "normal".
+1 Hear this time and time again, it's just different. Some adjust better than others, those that don't move back or onto some other paradise
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I forgot one important one, the Water Rates:

In small town BC at least, renters do not pay it, the landlord does.
If one owns, water/sewage/rubbish ('garbage') pick up is included in the Property Tax ('Council Tax') at about $550 per year = no more than £35 per month.

UK, South:

Water = £50 per month
Council Tax = £150 per month.

No comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.