Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Old May 22nd 2009, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Maybe we should organise a BE day out to Lonsdale Quay, where we can all troop in, one after the other, and ask for a job application form in one's best Queen's English.

Old May 22nd 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

ernieentwhistle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Maybe we should organise a BE day out to Lonsdale Quay, where we can all troop in, one after the other, and ask for a job application form in one's best Queen's English.

When I came to the States in 1967 I went in to get a coffee and while drinking it a drunk came in who was so drunk he was jabbering a lot of
jibberish so I said to the waitress "It takes all kinds to make a world:She said "WHAT" I said "IT TAKES ALL KINDS TO MAKE A WORLD" she said"WHAT" .Oh she said "I see.You are trying to talk funny like him"
No I said "I ALWAYS BLIIDY WELL TALK LIKE THIS"

Last edited by ernieentwhistle; May 22nd 2009 at 3:32 am.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:48 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Has anyone ever tried to speak with a Canadian accent just to fit in more and dodge this anti-immigrant attitude some dull-minded individuals have?
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:52 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
Has anyone ever tried to speak with a Canadian accent just to fit in more and dodge this anti-immigrant attitude some dull-minded individuals have?
occasionally to get no tomayto or to get a double double!!
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:05 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
just had a horrible experience, so thought would pass onto you guys.......

have just been for a job interview, or two downtown......that's all good!!!!

on my way home from the ferry, i stopped at a coffee shop on lonsdale (northshore - can't recal name but will check again tomorrow and let you all know so that you can avoid it!!!!) and just casually asked this girl serving, who must have been all of 19/20 if they were hiring (asking for my kids).........was told:

'you're not from here, are you?' she asked.
'yes' i said, 'we just live up the road'.
'no, i mean you're not canadain, so don't ask for work here'! she said.
'oh! what difference does that make?', i asked.
'enough' she said.

needless to say, i, having paid for my coffee that i really wanted to walk away from (or throw over her) but wasn't going to........left.....

i live in a really multi-cultral area.....it's called vancouver!!!!!! this is the only time i have ever experienced this........ever!!!!! i'm still fummmmmmmmming
I bet you are fummmming....bloody cheek of the moose
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc

Now that's a cracking idea! Let me know when and where...it'd be hilarious
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by efe317
<deleted post removed>
Why does this make me think of Billy Goats Gruff?

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 22nd 2009 at 5:03 pm. Reason: I called this person a name and broke the rules. Naughty boy!!!
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

<deleted post removed>
the PMs words were laiden with duplicitous meaning.... although the climate at the time suggested a call for 'Brit jobs for those born in Brit', they infact meant those entitled to live in Brit. ie inclusive of immigrants. doubt me? check the population dynamics of this tiny island. not to mention EU law.

riots?

the BNP barely receives mention, certainly not positive endorsement, and has no where near majority support. you are getting a bit carried away with this allegation of 'en mass' [sic].

and yes, there is an air of judgement in here regarding a puerile cretin but would you suggest it is not deserved? as much as i would prefer it to 'cease' due to it being a waste of people's time; others like to moan and in this case, they have a reasonable complaint.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 22nd 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:26 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

<deleted post removed>
oh boy, I can see where this thread is going to get to now!

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 22nd 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:50 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

<deleted post removed as predicted!>
Troll

No need to respond to this rediculous, unfactual post people just carry on as we were.

I would expect maybe a mod will take it off.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 22nd 2009 at 5:05 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian accent is awful, hurts my mouth too. Much easier to do an Australian one!
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

ernieentwhistle is an unknown quantity at this point

I did that once with US accent actually after I was in the States for a few years.Tried the word CHANCE and HALF in a sentence in a shoe store.
The salesperson smiled and asked me "Do you live here or are you visiting"
Since then I have never ever tried.

btw the only time I have encountered an "incident"was when a woman asked me if I was a US citizen when I was here 6 years.When I said "NO" she said "You should be forced in to being one or go back where you came from
as you foreigners cause all the problems in this country".To which I replied.
"Look here Missus I wasn't a foreigner till I came here".
It seems that there is never a 100% American.
Some of them rattle out about 8 nationalities.
Its when they say they are SCOTCH that I really get a laugh.
Would a true Scotsman ever says he's SCOTCH.?

Last edited by ernieentwhistle; May 22nd 2009 at 11:48 am.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:44 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ernieentwhistle
I did that once with US accent actually after I was in the States for a few years.Tried the word CHANCE and HALF in a sentence in a shoe store.
The salesperson smiled and asked me "Do you live here or are you visiting"
Since then I have never ever tried.

btw the only time I have encountered an "incident"was when a woman asked me if I was a US citizen when I was here 6 years.When I said "NO" she said "You should be forced in to being one or go back where you came from
as you foreigners cause all the problems in this country".To which I replied.
"Look here Mrs I wasn't a foreigner till I came here".

It's odd. I've never had my accent held against me in the USA or Canada. If anything, it's worked in my favour. I've had people engage me in needless conversation just to keep me talking.

<glosses over the fact that most people commenting on his accent think it comes from 12,000 miles away from where it really does come from>
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Souvenir;7595114]

It's odd. I've never had my accent held against me in the USA or Canada. If anything, it's worked in my favour. I've had people engage me in needless conversation just to keep me talking.

That is exactly how I have found it too. Never had a problem in 40 years.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Simon Legree;7595244]
Originally Posted by Souvenir

That is exactly how I have found it too. Never had a problem in 40 years.
I was in a hotel bar in Wyoming last year. The guy next to me, one of a gang of gas drillers, said: ' you're not from around here, are you?'

'No, I'm Canadian.'

He was well confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.