Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Old May 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

just had a horrible experience, so thought would pass onto you guys.......

have just been for a job interview, or two downtown......that's all good!!!!

on my way home from the ferry, i stopped at a coffee shop on lonsdale (northshore - can't recal name but will check again tomorrow and let you all know so that you can avoid it!!!!) and just casually asked this girl serving, who must have been all of 19/20 if they were hiring (asking for my kids).........was told:

'you're not from here, are you?' she asked.
'yes' i said, 'we just live up the road'.
'no, i mean you're not canadain, so don't ask for work here'! she said.
'oh! what difference does that make?', i asked.
'enough' she said.

needless to say, i, having paid for my coffee that i really wanted to walk away from (or throw over her) but wasn't going to........left.....

i live in a really multi-cultral area.....it's called vancouver!!!!!! this is the only time i have ever experienced this........ever!!!!! i'm still fummmmmmmmming
Old May 20th 2009, 10:16 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

I would have walked out and/or called the manager
Old May 20th 2009, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

d_woo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding

on my way home from the ferry, i stopped at a coffee shop on lonsdale (northshore - can't recal name but will check again tomorrow and let you all know so that you can avoid it!!!!) and just casually asked this girl serving, who must have been all of 19/20 if they were hiring (asking for my kids).........was told:

'enough' she said.

needless to say, i, having paid for my coffee that i really wanted to walk away from (or throw over her) but wasn't going to........left.....

i live in a really multi-cultral area.....it's called vancouver!!!!!! this is the only time i have ever experienced this........ever!!!!! i'm still fummmmmmmmming
i hope it's just a one off
Old May 20th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

I would go back and report her behaviour to the manager.
The manager needs to know that her rudeness is unacceptable.

Yoong
Old May 20th 2009, 11:01 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I would have walked out and/or called the manager
^^^^^ What he said
Old May 20th 2009, 11:09 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

'enough' she said.

That's shocking, I would also be very annoyed by this if not upset depending on the kind of day I was having.

I would complain, maybe you could write a letter.

I probally would have said "I was just inquiring about a position, but considering your attitude I don't think it would be a pleasent kind of work atmosphere I would want to work in" then would have left their coffee and walked out.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

'enough' she said.

I'm sorry you were so rudely treated. I have been here 46 years and never had anything like that type of response, if fact I still have my south english accent and often get people that enjoy talking to me due to that accent.
I apologize to you on behalf of my fellow Canadians.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yup would definately have spoken to the manager and you should probably do that tomorrow -
Old May 20th 2009, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Although many places are truly multi-cultural, you'll always get one !! I would hope that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and unfortunately got the the brunt of an ignorant young cashier. However, you may also have been getting the message from the manager, handed down to the front of house Not unheard of, even if the girl had no diplomacy whatsoever!!

I can't decide whether I could be bothered to say anything or not if I were in your shoes. I think part of me would want to personally speak to the manager just to satisfy myself of their views anyway. They will either be in cahoots, or embarrassed by her comments.

But if they came across as an ignorant old git aswell - well, I don't think you can change those sort of people's views PC or not, people will think what they want to think. They should, however, have some gumption not to voice those opinions in a working environment!

As the tougher times bite, I suspect some of these views will be heard more often - regardless of how multi-cultural or tolerant a society Canada is deemed to be ....
Old May 20th 2009, 11:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup would definately have spoken to the manager and you should probably do that tomorrow -
^^^^^ Wot she said.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

As the tougher times bite, I suspect some of these views will be heard more often - regardless of how multi-cultural or tolerant a society Canada is deemed to be ....
Ah...now there perchance is the nub....
Old May 21st 2009, 12:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Wasn't there a thread a couple of days ago where a Canadian couple were dismissive about someone from BE at hotel reception?
Old May 21st 2009, 12:49 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

'enough' she said.

Two suggested responses (always easy to think up in hindsight, never at the time):
"Learn how to treat your customers with respect, and you might find that your job insecurity wears off"
or
"I wouldn't speak to me like that if I were you. My 14-year-old could be your boss soon."
But in your shoes I would have been speechless.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:03 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Do people not stand up for themselves anymore?
Old May 21st 2009, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Do people not stand up for themselves anymore?
I'm not sure it's a case of not standing up for oneself.

Personally, I'd probably have felt a little gobsmacked by being spoken to like that by some 19 yr old coffee server (Can't answer for the OP)

And then there is the issue of having the speed and clarity to come back with a witty/sarcastic/pointed/deserving remark that was suitable without sinking to her depths of crassness (is that a word?)

I can always think of exactly the right thing to say 10 minutes later, but on the spot it is likely to be a smart-arse remark not in keeping with the mood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.