Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Old May 21st 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That does seem odd. Maybe the bar has a blanket ban on Brits because of something that happened in the past?
Yea, maybe the bar owner used to have a pub in certain Spanish, Brit chav infested holiday resorts.....

Seriously, such discrimination is out of order, however, it happens and if one digs deep enough their is usually an under lying reason, that may even (in some circumstances) have some justification....

Last edited by macadian; May 21st 2009 at 12:36 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

without going into detail.... i was verbally attacked the other day. with hindsight i might have preferred to lamp the guy. but i hold onto a single piece of philosophy:

if someone offers you a shit sandwich, you do not have to take a bite. just walk away.

in essence, people who are cretins are virtually inescapable. when you encounter one, try not to spend time considering what you could / should / would do / have done.... just walk away and carry on with your life.

you can sit and fume about what you should've done, or what you will next do. or you can just get on with something more worthy of your time, thoughts and effort.

some might see this as a 'christian turning of the cheek'.... but for me, it is just economy of lifetime. dedicate to them as much time and effort as they deserve. not a jot.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:25 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Whats a 'chav'?

I often see it on this forum, I was thinking it may be a delinquent adolescent?
Old May 21st 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point

If they had a blanket No Brit policy then when I phoned them they should have stated so but all they said was "Not sure why this would have happened, we will investigate the matter" and then never had the decency to call and explain the matter, might have also had something to do with the fact I called them racist and ask if they also refused entry to Blacks and Asians oops! my big mouth opening before brain engaging. If they would have taken the time to speak to my son and his cousins they would have realised that he is Canadian and has an accent because his parents work abroad and dared to leave the shores of Canada.

Sorry the ignorance of people is a sore point of mine, I will put the soap box back in the corner now.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I would have walked out and/or called the manager
Me too...or better yet the Ministry of Labour...they can really make life miserable for shady operators
Old May 21st 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
without going into detail.... i was verbally attacked the other day. with hindsight i might have preferred to lamp the guy. but i hold onto a single piece of philosophy:

if someone offers you a shit sandwich, you do not have to take a bite. just walk away.

in essence, people who are cretins are virtually inescapable. when you encounter one, try not to spend time considering what you could / should / would do / have done.... just walk away and carry on with your life.

you can sit and fume about what you should've done, or what you will next do. or you can just get on with something more worthy of your time, thoughts and effort.

some might see this as a 'christian turning of the cheek'.... but for me, it is just economy of lifetime. dedicate to them as much time and effort as they deserve. not a jot.

I think thats really good advise and I try to do this myself when someone pisses me off. Trouble is, when your in that situation sometimes you just retaliate without even thinking. Well I do anyway lol!
Old May 21st 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S E A N
Whats a 'chav'?

I often see it on this forum, I was thinking it may be a delinquent adolescent?
Below is the Wiki explaination of Chav but now it is refered to as how whole families live there lives and dress, I never believed in stereotyping people but this culture of "Chav" is so true of a small majority of working (or not working) class families in britian today.

Chav is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom, in particular, England. It is equivalant of the Scottish term "Ned." The stereotypical "chav" is an aggressive teenager or young adult, of working class background[1], who wears branded sports and casual clothing, who often engages in anti-social behaviour,[1] and is often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job. The word may have its origins in the Romani language.[2][3] It first appeared in English dictionaries in 2005.[4][5]

Caricature of a chavResponse to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism.[6] One BBC TV documentary suggested that "chav" culture is an evolution of previous working-class youth subcultures associated with particular commercial clothing styles, such as mods, skinheads and casuals.[7] The term has been associated with juvenile delinquency, the ASBO Generation and yob culture.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

My experience has shown that despite peoples apparant friendliness and what they say to your face, the vast majority will always side with a naturalised Canadian before an immigrant. There is a huge culture of wariness of "folk from away", which I dont feel will ever be changed.

The conservatives are running a tv campaign slating the Liberal leader Ignatieff, at the moment that basically says he's not fit to be PM as he has spent time working in other countries. So if the leaders of the country can't change no one will. I dont know why they don't just change their campaign to "Dont chose Ignatieff - He's from Away!" and all voters will run screaming.

There was a widely circulated obituary in the paper here last year for an old dear that had died at the age of 101. Her obituary basically started by saying that she was "from away', she had come over from the UK at the age of 4 months, and lived here for 101 years, but she was still "from away".

Very funny
Old May 21st 2009, 1:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dormy
My experience has shown that despite peoples apparant friendliness and what they say to your face, the vast majority will always side with a naturalised Canadian before an immigrant. There is a huge culture of wariness of "folk from away", which I dont feel will ever be changed.

The conservatives are running a tv campaign slating the Liberal leader Ignatieff, at the moment that basically says he's not fit to be PM as he has spent time working in other countries. So if the leaders of the country can't change no one will. I dont know why they don't just change their campaign to "Dont chose Ignatieff - He's from Away!" and all voters will run screaming.

There was a widely circulated obituary in the paper here last year for an old dear that had died at the age of 101. Her obituary basically started by saying that she was "from away', she had come over from the UK at the age of 4 months, and lived here for 101 years, but she was still "from away".

Very funny
Naturalised? I think you mean cradle. I'm a naturalised Canadian.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Naturalised? I think you mean cradle. I'm a naturalised Canadian.
sorry bout that, but thanks for keeping me straight
Old May 21st 2009, 1:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry bout that, but thanks for keeping me straight
S'okay. We knew what you really meant.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge culture of wariness of "folk from away", which I dont feel will ever be changed.
It's the same on the Isle of Wight. Them there Mainlanders!! One doesn't have to travel far to find suspicion of outsiders. 'Tis a natural human trait as far as I can see, the world over ....
Old May 21st 2009, 3:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_nick
My 19 year old son who is also Canadian and has a lovely British accent recently moved back to Alberta and was rudely refused entry to a bar because of his English accent, they said "we don't allow Brits in here" he was totally sober and out for drinks with his Canadian cousins.
Where in Alberta? I'm guessing your son has short hair?

Possibly looked like a squaddie, lots of bars in Calgary are wary about letting Squaddies in.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Where in Alberta? I'm guessing your son has short hair?

Possibly looked like a squaddie, lots of bars in Calgary are wary about letting Squaddies in.
I get where you are coming from but my son has long hair to his shoulders I am always complaining that it is in his eyes and he also has a lip piercing and ear pierced, this was purely you are not like us so stay away and I find it very hard as this is my home town and I used to tell my boys stories of what Canada was like when I was growing up, it is such a shame and a real eye opener for me.
My son is so level he just never went back there says it is no big deal and has joined a pub soccer team (football) and has made that his local. All I can say is my son is worth 100 of those redneck idiots, which is not all of them as my entire family live there, well maybe some of them aswell hehe Always good to experience life outside of your bubble.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ann m
It's the same on the Isle of Wight. Them there Mainlanders!! One doesn't have to travel far to find suspicion of outsiders. 'Tis a natural human trait as far as I can see, the world over ....
I had a similar experience in the UK. I was born and raised in Borehamwood but after I married we move to a place called Barton-le-Clay just 25 miles away. Our new home which was purchased was bordering on the village. We were there for 2 years before coming to Canada and never felt welcome.

It may have been because we are not religious and most older residents went to a Baptist Church. Also they had a different dialect and I suppose we were consider one of those undesirable Londoners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.