Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your experience in Toronto.............

Your experience in Toronto.............

Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your experience in Toronto.............

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
I could. America is lot more crowded that the first thing I notice. I meant Americans have underlining sense of fear and when you there you take a lot more notice of your surroundings. I did not mean me LOL. You'd be surprised at how jumpy people are when you talk to people and asked for directions etc. I got nick once for walking back to my hotel they said it was far to dangerous to walk back to my hotel in LA. I was enjoy the walk too....That never happens in Canada.
It depends on which part of LA. I'd probably be safer walking through Beverly Hills than through South-Central.

Originally Posted by dollface
You're not familiar with Jane and Finch are you??
Jane and Finch hasn't seen the highest numbers of murders in Toronto in 2009. Eglinton Rd and Black Creek Drive area has had 9 murders out of the 23 total so far in TO in 2009.

But there are 6 1/2 months left to go.

I live in Scarborough and I feel safe. I do avoid certain streets late at night, but then downtown's Entertainment District I avoid at those time as well.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Calgary population approx 1.1 million
Houston population approx 2.2 million

I didnt NOTICE that Houston was more crowded than Calgary (at a rate of two to one) in fact much of it APPEARED less crowded than Calgary.
Its more built up around it that is what I mean. More people. Canada has lot more space and it is not as built up and a lot less people. once you out of the Calgary spread it has nothing around for miles unlike Huston. That what I mean and that's what I notice less land. Canada is all open spaces mostly once you out of the towns and cities.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 18th 2009 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I live in Scarborough and I feel safe. I do avoid certain streets late at night, but then downtown's Entertainment District I avoid at those time as well.
I never avoid anywhere in Toronto. I rented a house in Scarborough when I first move there.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on which part of LA. I'd probably be safer walking through Beverly Hills than through South-Central.
I find it difficult to judge neighbourhoods in LA. South Central doesn't look rough or run down, it looks like the area around Disney World in Orlando or North Las Vegas; it's only he bars on the windows that give away the nature of the area. Sections of northern cities are easier to judge, obvious crack houses, untended sidewalks with grass poking up, knots of black men drinking in the day, cars on blocks; somewhere like downtown Detroit, north end Halifax, Rexdale, is obviously a bad area. In LA though I fall back on my rule of thumb "avoid any place with Heights in the name".
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Its more built up around it that is what I mean. More people. Canada has lot more space and it is not as built up and a lot less people. once you out of the Calgary spread it has nothing around for miles unlike Huston.
There's **** all in Texas once you're past Cut n Shoot; longest, dullest drive in America. Not that this has anything to do with Toronto, Toronto has a population density similar to Chicago's.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

ralexa21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface;
We're moving from Ottawa to TO next month, well burbs actually...you'll find m8's on here willing to hook up for pints!!! we Scottish Canadians are a friendly but tight-fisted bunch!!!!
I fixed it for you, lol.
I think thats called frugal