Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your experience in Toronto.............

Your experience in Toronto.............

Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

ralexa21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Your experience in Toronto.............

Hi guys, moved here from Glasgow about 8 months ago and am loving the city.

Live on the harbourfront and still amazed every morning when i wake up to look out over lake ontario and the islands, also the fact i am 20 mins on my bike away from the beach !!!

Still finding a few things a bit crazy, like the fact downtown at night is completely safe, lots of places sell irn bru oh and the quality of the 'soccer' !!!

Just wondering if any other people are downtown and what you think about the lovely city ???

Oh and if you know any good places to watch world cup qualifiers, cmon scotland, then it would be much appreciated

Last edited by ralexa21; Jun 10th 2009 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Re: Your experience in Toronto.............

Hi There

My husband and I are living in Bloor West Village (near Runnymede subway station) but get into downtown quite a lot and I'm started work near King station soon.

We think Toronto is an amazing city-so many cool neighbourhoods!!

As for the football, sorry soccer, we watched the last day of the Premiership in the Football Factory which is on Bathurst St, just down from Queen St West. Good place to watch football but not such a good result for us Toon fans!!!

I know what you mean sometimes it feel like a foreign country and others just like home!!!

Lucy
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:07 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ralexa21
Oh and if you know any good places to watch world cup qualifiers, cmon scotland, then it would be much appreciated
Scallywags, SW corner of Yonge St & St Clair Ave W has 3 floors of TV's, and always shows a different game on each floor. Welcome to Toronto.

Originally Posted by lucycrow
As for the football, sorry soccer, we watched the last day of the Premiership in the Football Factory which is on Bathurst St, just down from Queen St West. Good place to watch football but not such a good result for us Toon fans!!!
Seconded, and welcome.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jun 11th 2009 at 4:10 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lucycrow

I know what you mean sometimes it feel like a foreign country and others just like home!!!

Deffinetly, some times you just forget your in Canada and things come easily. Other times it seems completely crazy

Really is an awesome city tho.

Especially here on the harbourfront, always somethings kinda mad going on!!

Oh and sorry bout the Toon, but I hear you could buy them if you have a spare 1 mill in the bank
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Glad you are enjoying Toronto. I moved here last year from Aberdeen. So, you've survived one winter here - wait til the hot, humid summers start. A bit of a shock in comparison to our chilly Scottish summers! But you get used to them and appreciate the chilly air con in the summer.

I like Toronto - it's friendly and quirky. Love the harbour front, the islands, the beaches, the ravines and parks, the food is amazing, the wildlife is crazy (raccoons on your roof late at night!), the museums/art gallery are wow! Yes, it's a huge city and it has its problems too.

Can't help you with the football though.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Only ever visited once for a week, but have to say I liked the city - stayed at King and Yonge. Night life was a lot better than vancouver, although I found the summer weather very humid and uncomfortable - it was 43 with the humidity when I was there. Loved the roof top bars though - more like miami than Canada!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, moved here from Glasgow about 8 months ago and am loving the city.

Live on the harbourfront and still amazed every morning when i wake up to look out over lake ontario and the islands, also the fact i am 20 mins on my bike away from the beach !!!

Still finding a few things a bit crazy, like the fact downtown at night is completely safe, lots of places sell irn bru oh and the quality of the 'soccer' !!!

Just wondering if any other people are downtown and what you think about the lovely city ???

We don't live in T.O. but have an apartment on Queen's Quay West and visit often. So hello neighbour.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys finally made our minds up and leaving vancouver..gona be moving to toronto in 3 weeks.

every1 has good things to say about toronto,which is good..

gonna be saying in a back packers down town

and seen as my belovid burnley made the prem this year,want to catch the games in the pubs
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:53 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wesleyk
hey guys finally made our minds up and leaving vancouver..gona be moving to toronto in 3 weeks.

every1 has good things to say about toronto,which is good..

gonna be saying in a back packers down town

and seen as my belovid burnley made the prem this year,want to catch the games in the pubs
Scallywags, near the SW corner of Yonge St and St Clair carries Premier League games. The 2009/2010 fixture list is released tomorrow morning.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds good.

yeh cant wait to see the fixtures

are you in toronto?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wesleyk
sounds good.

yeh cant wait to see the fixtures

are you in toronto?
Yes I am.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We don't live in T.O. but have an apartment on Queen's Quay West and visit often. So hello neighbour.
Good stuff, its awesome down here on the harbourfront.

The only problem i have found so far is i work in a very small company (only 6 of us) so havn't really made any mates, but people are quite friendly in general.

Oh and we have seen a place on Bathurst street called the football factory "thefootballfactory.ca" they seem to show tons of games so i wil be their come the new season.

Hopefully catch some scotland qualifiers as well

atscmc, where did you settle to get racoons !!!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They're all over the city, when we lived in the Beach the neighbour shot at one inside his attic; he missed and blew off some shingles.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
They're all over the city, when we lived in the Beach the neighbour shot at one inside his attic; he missed and blew off some shingles.
Been out to teh beaches and it looks real nice, must be extra freezin in the winter thi brrrrr
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:24 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff, its awesome down here on the harbourfront.

The only problem i have found so far is i work in a very small company (only 6 of us) so havn't really made any mates, but people are quite friendly in general.

Oh and we have seen a place on Bathurst street called the football factory "thefootballfactory.ca" they seem to show tons of games so i wil be their come the new season.

Hopefully catch some scotland qualifiers as well

We're moving from Ottawa to TO next month, well burbs actually...you'll find m8's on here willing to hook up for pints!!! we Scottish Canadians are a friendly bunch!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.