Youngsters

Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Youngsters

I moved here when I was 23 but I had been visiting since I was 19 and my wife is Canadian which is why I moved. I have to say that there are probably many significant differences between moving here when younger rather than older. Some of it will depend on what you were doing in the UK before you moved.

For example when I moved I had just finished university (which is why I didn't move earlier) and so apart from family and a few friends I didn't have that many significant ties in the UK. I had no house, no career, no kids etc. This meant that in a way moving to Canada was just a more extreme version of say moving to a new city for a new job which would be a common thing in the UK.

On the job front there is a disadvantage to not having been to school/university in Canada, the main disadvantage I think is a lack of participation in the job market in earlier years. There was no work placements at university or part time jobs and there is no network of people you went to university with to network etc. You are coming in completely fresh. Saying that there are some advantages to being in this situation. Firstly what are your expectations here versus the UK? In both cases you are looking for entry level work to start your career. Yes you are at a slight disadvantage in the networking situation but once you get in there you are at the same level as all the other people. When I am at work I don't feel in any way disadvantaged coming from the UK, I consider my education to be as good or better than my Canadian counterparts and working in a City like Toronto as mentioned earlier half the people I work with came from different countries so it kind of becomes irrelevant. this is the main advantage over people who are leaving the UK who are older and are leaving established careers. Those people expect to walk into jobs at the same level and as close to equivilent pay as possible. Much of the time they ignore the fact they are new people in a new country with foreign experience and no working experience or familiarity with working in Canada and yet they expect to be considered as if all their experience occured in Canada and so they are at the same level as Canadian counterparts. Unfortunately this isn't often the case. I'm not talking about equivilancy here as in the problems with Engineers etc. getting their qualifications recognized because that is a problem that needs fixing. Computer programming for example is the same in any country. What I am talking about more is just experience working in the Canadian market and environment which is different in many ways to the UK. So in this respect being younger gives you the advantage of no expectation. You aren't struggling to work your way back to where you were when you left the UK, you are starting out just like you were in the UK but you are aiming for a different target in a different country.

As mentioned before if you have no kids then that cuts out the whole aspect of worrying about schools and moving kids to new schools and new schooling systems etc.

In a city like Toronto renting is easy and prevelant so you can easily find somewhere that maches your income whether it is sharing a house, renting a batchelor apartment for like $600 a month or renting in a building or house etc.

I suppose the downside of all this is that you won't ever get to do this stuff in the UK unless you move back. The people who move over when older have already done the UK stuff. They have had careers there and kids and houses etc and have become disillusioned or bored or just fancy a change and decided to do it all over again in Canada (or whichever country). Hopefully they realize that it is 'starting again' and not just moving their life to a new country and carrying on. However they will get to experience it in both countries. Leaving early means you are doing it all in the new country. Apart from the youth bit.

I always prefered Canada from years of visiting however I personally can't fault the UK for my life up to age 23. I don't really see how it would have been any better in Canada. I went to a state school and it was very good, I went to college and university (with fees but nothing like north america) I got a degree and had a good childhood etc.

What I see here is simply a different way of doing things, and the key word is 'different' rather than better or worse. You simply pick the place that does things most like you would want to do things. I prefer the general attitude to life here, the way people work and their attitudes towards leisure and their priorities and the types of oppertunities that exist here. There are some things I much prefered in the UK, but more things I prefer here in Canada.

Drew
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
Do you know how derogatory and insulting it is to call a woman - any woman "a babymaking machine"? as well as this entire message? You have a very bad male sexist attitude that I thought had died back in the "dark ages".

What do you do around the house? if anything? or just comment on how badly she cooks - if you don't like her cooking - then do it yourself!!!! Then perhaps if you think giving birth is such a breeze - why not try that as well.......
Ha ha ha blimey didn't know sarcasm had dropped off the edge of the world!!
1. she is a babymaking machine, my lovely girlfriend isn't career orientated, doesn't want to earn tons of money, doesn't want to break thru the male dominated corporate glass ceiling. she wants to create life (this is where I help!) and nuture them and be a full time mum. She feels this her role in life.
2. i do the cooking, girlfriend loads the dishwasher. teamwork big in our house!
3. glad i'm the man. no i wouldn't want to experience childbirth, seen it and that was bad enough, which leads me to...
4. i'm the worst male sexist pig you've ever met, i'm a nurse!!!

Last edited by owen; Oct 8th 2004 at 2:15 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Canada does have challenges for anyone raising kids (especially teens), but they're miniscule in comparison to trying to raise them in the UK.
Exactly mate
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:26 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Barefoot and pregnant and doing the washing up!!!!!!! What more can a man want.

Nice to see honesty, in this "equal opportunities " world.
Part of wanting to leave the Uk is I'm sick to death with equal this and
equal that. As I think this is a world wide epidemic, I do not think Canada will be much different, but from what I have seen there are still many areas in Canada, where men are men and women are still women!

I can't tell some men from women and visa versa in the UK at the moment.
Women have cropped hair, tattoos, and beer bellies. Men have started to wax , use moisturiser and dye their hair!!!!!!

(By the way I am female!!!!!!!)

Originally Posted by owen
Ha ha ha blimey didn't know sarcasm had dropped off the edge of the world!!
1. she is a babymaking machine, my lovely girlfriend isn't career orientated, doesn't want to earn tons of money, doesn't want to break thru the male dominated corporate glass ceiling. she wants to create life (this is where I help!) and nuture them and be a full time mum. She feels this her role in life.
2. i do the cooking, girlfriend loads the dishwasher. teamwork big in our house!
3. glad i'm the man. no i wouldn't want to experience childbirth, seen it and that was bad enough, which leads me to...
4. i'm the worst male sexist pig you've ever met, i'm a nurse!!!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:33 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding
Nice to see honesty, in this "equal opportunities " world.
Part of wanting to leave the Uk is I'm sick to death with equal this and
equal that.
On the other hand, some of us are quite pleased not to have to wear burkhas, to be able to employ their talents to the full and to make their own choices about how they live their own lives.

I'm quite glad that I don't have to give up all right to my property when I get married, that I am entitled to the vote, and that I have the legal right to work in any occupation in any country I choose.

Wouldn't the middle east be a better choice of destination for you than Canada?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:20 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I new that would make some people throw their toys out of their prams!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, amazing what honesty can do!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
On the other hand, some of us are quite pleased not to have to wear burkhas, to be able to employ their talents to the full and to make their own choices about how they live their own lives.

I'm quite glad that I don't have to give up all right to my property when I get married, that I am entitled to the vote, and that I have the legal right to work in any occupation in any country I choose.

Wouldn't the middle east be a better choice of destination for you than Canada?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE

Sarcasm hasn't dropped off the face of the world.....yours is inappropriate and distasteful. A woman can have any sort of career she wishes - and can do so successfully without having to "sleep around with men" to achieve the success level she wishes. There is nothing wrong wanting to stay at home and be a mum - I work full time from home - that was my choice. My career could possibly be alot more successful if I was able to be free to do certain things. If any man (including my husband) ever told me that I was a "babymaking machine" he wouldn't be alive to tell the tale. You really need to grow up and start appreciating women for what they are - individuals that contribute to society as a whole.

Being the world's worse male sexist pig...... isn't something to brag about......you're no winner in this world with this type of attitude - that's for sure. Certainly not something to brag about on this forum!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Apparantly the "babymaking machine" in question has no problem with this label themselves, so why doesnt everybody chill out a bit and get on with their own lives before they fall of their high horses and hurt themselves.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Fill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wizzard
I moved here when I was 23 but I had been visiting since I was 19 and my wife is Canadian which is why I moved. I have to say that there are probably many significant differences between moving here when younger rather than older. Some of it will depend on what you were doing in the UK before you moved.

For example when I moved I had just finished university (which is why I didn't move earlier) and so apart from family and a few friends I didn't have that many significant ties in the UK. I had no house, no career, no kids etc. This meant that in a way moving to Canada was just a more extreme version of say moving to a new city for a new job which would be a common thing in the UK.

On the job front there is a disadvantage to not having been to school/university in Canada, the main disadvantage I think is a lack of participation in the job market in earlier years. There was no work placements at university or part time jobs and there is no network of people you went to university with to network etc. You are coming in completely fresh. Saying that there are some advantages to being in this situation. Firstly what are your expectations here versus the UK? In both cases you are looking for entry level work to start your career. Yes you are at a slight disadvantage in the networking situation but once you get in there you are at the same level as all the other people. When I am at work I don't feel in any way disadvantaged coming from the UK, I consider my education to be as good or better than my Canadian counterparts and working in a City like Toronto as mentioned earlier half the people I work with came from different countries so it kind of becomes irrelevant. this is the main advantage over people who are leaving the UK who are older and are leaving established careers. Those people expect to walk into jobs at the same level and as close to equivilent pay as possible. Much of the time they ignore the fact they are new people in a new country with foreign experience and no working experience or familiarity with working in Canada and yet they expect to be considered as if all their experience occured in Canada and so they are at the same level as Canadian counterparts. Unfortunately this isn't often the case. I'm not talking about equivilancy here as in the problems with Engineers etc. getting their qualifications recognized because that is a problem that needs fixing. Computer programming for example is the same in any country. What I am talking about more is just experience working in the Canadian market and environment which is different in many ways to the UK. So in this respect being younger gives you the advantage of no expectation. You aren't struggling to work your way back to where you were when you left the UK, you are starting out just like you were in the UK but you are aiming for a different target in a different country.

As mentioned before if you have no kids then that cuts out the whole aspect of worrying about schools and moving kids to new schools and new schooling systems etc.

In a city like Toronto renting is easy and prevelant so you can easily find somewhere that maches your income whether it is sharing a house, renting a batchelor apartment for like $600 a month or renting in a building or house etc.

I suppose the downside of all this is that you won't ever get to do this stuff in the UK unless you move back. The people who move over when older have already done the UK stuff. They have had careers there and kids and houses etc and have become disillusioned or bored or just fancy a change and decided to do it all over again in Canada (or whichever country). Hopefully they realize that it is 'starting again' and not just moving their life to a new country and carrying on. However they will get to experience it in both countries. Leaving early means you are doing it all in the new country. Apart from the youth bit.

I always prefered Canada from years of visiting however I personally can't fault the UK for my life up to age 23. I don't really see how it would have been any better in Canada. I went to a state school and it was very good, I went to college and university (with fees but nothing like north america) I got a degree and had a good childhood etc.

What I see here is simply a different way of doing things, and the key word is 'different' rather than better or worse. You simply pick the place that does things most like you would want to do things. I prefer the general attitude to life here, the way people work and their attitudes towards leisure and their priorities and the types of oppertunities that exist here. There are some things I much prefered in the UK, but more things I prefer here in Canada.

Drew
Thanks for that. Similar sort of situation. Finished uni in 2002 and would be looking for an entry level job preferably in something environmental based. I think I'd be looking at Alberta with all the oil companies being there. I also did some work experience in Edmonton for a month and know a couple of people.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:07 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys all I can say is that if I called my wife a " baby making machine " she would :::

Number one Punch my lights out
Number two Part my B*lls severley
Number Three Put two house bricks between my B*lls to make sure my " baby making machine " no longer worked.

By the way I have 3 kids, 2 daughters aged 12 and 11 and Wee Edd jnr aged 2, so my baby making machine is still functioning at 100%

Owen enjoy it while it lasts matey

Eddie
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[/QUOTE]

Thank you......almost my husband's exact words.....when I mentioned it to him and we have 2 kids and still functioning 100% - he wants another one....so told him that as soon as he can conceive let me know.......
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:05 am
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

:scared: breeders lol.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:24 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Voyager970
my baby making machine is still functioning at 100%
Warning *** Scottish joke follows ***

Q: What's worn under the kilt?

A: Nothing ... it's all in perfect working order

Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace