Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

are you tired of all the justifying?

are you tired of all the justifying?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are you tired of all the justifying?

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Wow. You look after a hell of alot of animals!
More than your average white collar worker, that's for sure.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dbd33
Looks more like a llama than a horse.

(Posted from the toilet, grits get me that way).
LOL

I thought it was a goat. If it's a dead horse, why is it speaking?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
Ahhh just settling in the office with a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin and was wondering what vintage the Whine Du Jour was on this thread...

James Martindale you've got a wicked sense of humour....
Let's be open.

The amount of time on this forum that the good people spend shooting down others and trying to gain one upmanship means that you have to be a little wicked. Think outside the square. Shoot the breeze. Swim against the tide.

As I said jest is better than anger.

But credit where it's due this is none the less a great forum and with the utmost respect for (i) those who agree to disagree and (ii) those who agree, you all play a part in keeping me going as I await my destiny with CIC.

And bringing this post back I would like to categorically say "YES I AM TIRED OF ALL THE JUSTIFYING".

Now Steve_P let's cut up that dead horse and BBQ it with some fine Canadian beer.

dbd33 this horse is obviously not one of yours because it would of been fatter and fed better!

Chi_Nook you bring the muffins for desert.

I apologise to vegan's, vegetarian's and animal lovers for the above.

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 26th 2008 at 7:46 pm. Reason: spelt dbd33's name wrong unintentionally
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33 this horse is obviously not one of yours because it would of been fatter and fed better!
We don't feed ours, they just bloat naturally. I'm all for eating someone else's, so long as we barbecue properly, with charcoal.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for eating someone else's, so long as we barbecue properly, with charcoal.
I'm OK with that but can I have cider rather than beer.

Or perhaps a glass or two of red wine (for medicinal purposes only mind).
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Chi_Nook you bring the muffins for desert.
Muffins on the way...hmmm can we have beef though, not too partial to eating a dead horse, especially when it's been flogged to death, like some of these topics...can taste that (cold) beer already....
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:33 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Muffins on the way...hmmm can we have beef though, not too partial to eating a dead horse, especially when it's been flogged to death, like some of these topics...can taste that (cold) beer already....
In true Canadian tradition well smoother it in BBQ sauce and then burn it to a crisp
We’ll just tell its beef you won’t be able to tell, at least we’ll not be making cold cuts out of it

Any way how many pallets of beer?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
In true Canadian tradition well smoother it in BBQ sauce and then burn it to a crisp
We’ll just tell its beef you won’t be able to tell, at least we’ll not be making cold cuts out of it

Any way how many pallets of beer?
Naw prefer my beef medium rare..still pink in the middle and maybe just stopped moooing...

2 or 3 beers enough for me (Alexander Keiths or Rickard Red preferred, but anything for free!) ...you can finish off the rest of the pallet(s)...

Hmmm can hardly wait....
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

2 or 3 beers enough for me (Alexander Keiths or Rickard Red preferred, but anything for free!)
Oh dear, not domestic beer.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

I like Guinness too. But only if it's a hot day and it's ice cold and draught...hmmmm makes me thirsty thinking of it...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:41 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, but you haven't had the good stuff brewed here in BC! You really live in the wrong part of the country you know, dbd
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by startwin
Ahh, but you haven't had the good stuff brewed here in BC! You really live in the wrong part of the country you know, dbd
Hmmm you're right.."Nelson After Dark", a great micro brewed beer...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm you're right.."Nelson After Dark", a great micro brewed beer...

Also good there's "Traditional Ale" brewed in Calgary by Big Rock...Nice beer too....
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:34 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
I just got back from the border were we went to land with new PR visas. It's the second time I took precious time off work and dragged my wife and children down there. I won't bore you with our story. Compared to many people who post here our journey has been easy. My company even paid a lawyer to handle the PR. All I needed was to supply the documents, although having moved some 22 times in the last 18 years you can perhaps imagine some of the complications.

The truth is that deep down after all we did to get them I actually wanted them to refuse us. I was almost willing them to present me with one more stupid pointless bureaucratic hoop to jump through so I could tell them to get stuffed. I'm tired of justifying myself and my family to these people. My wife and I are both 38 years old. Like many of the folks I read about here, we are both fully qualified and experienced professionals. We are here because I was head hunted by a Canadian company. We never came here looking for some Canuk fantasy utopia, and we would leave tomorrow if a better offer came up. We pay (a lot of) tax, we have integrated and made friends in our local community and our children are doing well at the local school. Yet we are second class citizens, no not even that - we aren't citizens at all.

So we have to keep justifying ourselves. My wife wants to work as a teacher, so she needs a certificate from the Ontario College to Teachers. So there's another inexplicable fee and she's back on the phone to confused secretaries at her old colleges in the UK trying to get those completely pointless and non-existent 'sealed' transcripts again: "no! one copy in a sealed envelope...what do you mean you don't have a university stamp!". Looking on the bright side, at least now we have PRs I won't have to go cap in hand to the local school board in September for special permission for my children to attend school.

Anyway I said I wouldn't bore you all and I already have, so my question to you all is this: don't you just get tired of it? Doesn't it make you look around and think, is it really worth all this just to live in this place? Perhaps that's the real purpose behind all the bureaucracy - to put people off. It's worked for me. I'm defeated and I've had enough. After 10 years of being foreigners we want to be citizens again, and by chance of birth this means the UK.

Back at the border when the CIC guy gave us our PRs he said 'congratulations'. I think he was surprised by my unenthusiastic response. We bought the kids a Hershey bar across the street and drove home. On the way back the kids fell asleep and we began plotting our departure from Canada.
Sorry I have just looked at the original posting and can sympathize somewhat. We came here originally on working visas. When the first visa was up for renewal it coincided with my niece's wedding in Australia. We had booked flights, bought the outfits including my hat, all the rellies were going over from the UK so it was a pretty big deal for us. A week before we were due to leave we were told that there was a backlog in renewing the visas and that we were not to leave Canada. I am sorry to say but that touched a very raw nerve and I promptly told them that I was not going to be held a prisoner in any country and that did they realize that they (meaning Canada) had asked my husband to come here to work and that if we did not return they (meaning Immigration) could explain to my husband's boss why he had not returned and the project deadline had not been met.

We were enjoying life here very much at the time but I think it was the time it had taken me to find a hat that tipped me over the edge.

Anyway we left as planned and whilst we were away everything was sorted out and a fax was sent to Calgary airport to allow us back in.

We are citizens now but I can remember how I felt at the time. We, too, have dealt with immigration in the States and Australia and if you think the Canadians are bad try dealing with them.

Other than that time I have always felt really at home here and I think that is why we stayed. I find Canadians to be very friendly and intelligent and much more worldly than Americans or Australians - bless - maybe I am just lucky or perhaps I am just happy to converse at a lower level!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Granville Island Honey Lager mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.