Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You guys live in some lovely places !

You guys live in some lovely places !

Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You guys live in some lovely places !

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
So you're including The Annex, The Beach(es), Rosedale, Lawrence Park, and Forest Hill in the "shit" bit?
I was just suggesting some nice places for a day's drive for people living in the GTA.

In the interest of not clogging up a jolly thread with tedious bitchery I am willing to stipulate that the leaves are prettier at Yonge and Eglinton, people become younger when they bathe in the fragrant spa waters at Yonge and Eglinton and that the colourful flora and fauna on display at Yonge and Eglinton is without parallel in Canada; it's equal can only be found in American suburbs. People wanting scenic beauty should forget Algonquin and flock instead to Yonge and Eglinton, if it's full, well then the inner-burbs listed offer much of the same.

Alright?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is the countryside in Canada really much different to the countryside in the UK?

Cities are cities. While some may have spectacular backdrops, living among comparable numbers of millions in most places in the developed world is lively to be very similar.

How would, for example, living on the coast of Scotland differ massively from living on the costs in Nova Scotia? I have been to one, I haven't been to the other.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was just suggesting some nice places for a day's drive for people living in the GTA.
Er...no....that's not all you were doing. You stated what you thought was the "shit" bit of the GTA and just happened to include some pretty nice places (actually some of the most affluent areas in the entire country).

In the interest of not clogging up a jolly thread with tedious bitchery I am willing to stipulate that the leaves are prettier at Yonge and Eglinton, people become younger when they bathe in the fragrant spa waters at Yonge and Eglinton and that the colourful flora and fauna on display at Yonge and Eglinton is without parallel in Canada; it's equal can only be found in American suburbs. People wanting scenic beauty should forget Algonquin and flock instead to Yonge and Eglinton, if it's full, well then the inner-burbs listed offer much of the same.
Y&E? I actually mentioned The Annex, The Beach(es), Rosedale, Lawrence Park and Forest Hill.

Alright?
I am. Are you?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is the countryside in Canada really much different to the countryside in the UK?

Cities are cities. While some may have spectacular backdrops, living among comparable numbers of millions in most places in the developed world is lively to be very similar.

How would, for example, living on the coast of Scotland differ massively from living on the costs in Nova Scotia? I have been to one, I haven't been to the other.
Folk I've had staying at my place remark on how much the surroundings remind them of Scotland. I can see why.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is more of it to go around. Certainly the mountains are bigger in places. Probably more lakes too.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:34 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Er...no....that's not all you were doing. You stated what you thought was the "shit" bit of the GTA and just happened to include some pretty nice places (actually some of the most affluent areas in the entire country).

Y&E? I actually mentioned The Annex, The Beach(es), Rosedale, Lawrence Park and Forest Hill.

I am. Are you?
Affluent = lovely?

I think not.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Affluent = lovely?

I think not.
Didn't say that...but they are not mutually exclusive either.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

St. John's is not without its charm:

Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Affluent = lovely?

I think not.
Indeed. I think there's a good case that, in Canada, "affluent" and "unspoiled" are mutually exclusive. The most attractive buildings built for the rich are straight copies of buildings elsewhere, a good example being the house on Mississauga Road which is a tasteful replica of the castle at Disneyland. I expect the lot was "lovely" before they added the house.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:03 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
St. John's is not without its charm:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgr5wo0qoIA
Reminds me of Mayo in some sections of that film.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There is more of it to go around. Certainly the mountains are bigger in places. Probably more lakes too.
Probably more lakes is an understatement - Canada has over 3 million lakes. England has 400 I have more lakes within a 20 mile radius of my house than in the entire lake district in England.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Probably more lakes is an understatement - Canada has over 3 million lakes. England has 400 I have more lakes within a 20 mile radius of my house than in the entire lake district in England.
Right, but most of those canadian lakes are a very long way from where most people live.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

one of my favourite places
Attached Thumbnails You guys live in some lovely places !-img-20120823-00313.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Alright?
Very good, although it didn't stop the tedious bitchery...

I am. Are you?
Did it?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
one of my favourite places
Nice photo, but where're the beavers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.