Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wrong to contact more than one RDA for CIS?

Wrong to contact more than one RDA for CIS?

Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:37 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wrong to contact more than one RDA for CIS?

Hi guys,

I have been advised by many of you that the CIS may be our way to get to Nova Scotia, which is where we want to be. A BE member has already PM'd me with some info on their experience with the process. My question to you though is would it be wrong to set up meetings with two different RDA's to see what each has to offer? We have no idea which area e would like to settle in and and since we are coming to Nova Scotia this spring, we want to get the most from our recce and not put all our eggs in one basket in case the area we are researchign doesn't turn out to be what we hoped.

Any feedback is appreciated TIA
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:32 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong to contact more than one RDA for CIS?

I would just be careful not to be seen to be hedging your bets, we only visited the one but I have known others to have visted 2 or 3 on their recce's.

They are looking for research that you have done to establish your chances of making a particular area to settle successful, this will in part be down to establishing yourselves with work etc.

By looking at your own personal situation re work etc, you will be able to narrow down your choices quite a bit I would have thought, this is where you then need to focus your efforts.

eg, our example, we knew work was only going to be in Halifax area and that we did not want to be anymore than 40 mins drive to work, therefore our options as far as RDA's were knocked right down to 2 or 3, I am not sure of your situation, you may have options such as New Glasgow, Amherst etc for work, in which case you open up your location areas. We chose one and worked on really building our relationship with that RDA and networking with all relevent people that we could.

I would say that Halifax RDA will be the toughest to get through if you dont meet the standard criteria, so you are likely to have to be prepared to settle outside of HRM. That said, I do know someone who got in through CI and Halfax RDA on basis they are looking to go back to studying at one of the colleges/universities within HRM at some stage after they landed here.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wrong to contact more than one RDA for CIS?

I would second what Nikki has suggested about not being seen to hedge your bets, unless you intend to start a business in NS.

Yes, certain RDA's might interpret the CI stream requirements more loosely than others, but I would be very careful of being seen to base your decision of which RDA to work with on that issue.

The whole point of the CI stream revolves around what you can do for the community and NOT what the RDA or community can do you for you. The RDA exists to 'pre-screen' your application and make recommendations to NS Immigration for CI stream candidates. I would suggest that this is why, perhaps, so many have had positive outcomes with Margot Begin-Gillis at Colchester RDA as she is employed in the specific role of, amongst other things, assisting would-be CIS applicants.