Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Tax Benefit

Child Tax Benefit

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Tax Benefit

I'm just about to put in my claim for child tax benefit, now that we've been here for 18 months.
I was just wondering (hoping! ) if it was backdated to when we arrived.

Many thanks
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:35 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Tax Benefit

Originally Posted by jericho
I'm just about to put in my claim for child tax benefit, now that we've been here for 18 months.

Many thanks
Nope and have you and your OH submitted tax returns since you have been here?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Nope and have you and your OH submitted tax returns since you have been here?
We have. I got my refund about a month ago.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

We have. I got my refund about a month ago.
Cool - you should be all systems go then and should get your CTB quite quickly (well Canadian quite quickly anyway..lol)
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

I got mine back dated had a cheque for $6000.00
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
I got mine back dated had a cheque for $6000.00
How did you manage thatÉ
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
You will be able to claim for backdates child benefit if you are eligable for it. You have to be able to prove you were the childs main carer. I was able to prove this all bar the 1st year we were here as I had not got any actual proof that daughter came with us from the start (TWP removed from passport when PR visa put in), but they did pay us a nice unexpected lump.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You will be able to claim for backdates child benefit if you are eligable for it. You have to be able to prove you were the childs main carer. I was able to prove this all bar the 1st year we were here as I had not got any actual proof that daughter came with us from the start (TWP removed from passport when PR visa put in), but they did pay us a nice unexpected lump.
I think I need to call them then! I thought you were only eligible after 18 months on a TWP and so that is when you will be paid back to - if they take ages sorting your benefit out. Does this mean they actually pay you for the 18 months where you were not eligible?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think I need to call them then! I thought you were only eligible after 18 months on a TWP and so that is when you will be paid back to - if they take ages sorting your benefit out. Does this mean they actually pay you for the 18 months where you were not eligible?
Maybe that's why I wasn't paid while I was on a TWP? I dunno. We only applied for Child Tax last year, for some reason I didn't think we would be able to get as an immigrant
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On a similar subject, what about at the other end? I understand it stops at age 18, even if the 'child' remains in education for another year.

Does anyone know if there's any situation where it can continue if the child remains at school?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Maybe that's why I wasn't paid while I was on a TWP? I dunno. We only applied for Child Tax last year, for some reason I didn't think we would be able to get as an immigrant
But when you started to get it once you had PR were you backdated to the date you landed or till 18 months of having a TWP - does that make sense ?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

EVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant future

I have been looking into this too. We arrived August 2007 on TWP so therefore in March 2009 (19 months after arriving) I applied for Child Tax Credit. They have backpaid from March 2009 only - not from the date we entered on a TWP. We now have PR status but that hasnt made any difference. It took until November to receive any kind of payment at all but has since been backdated from March 2009 bit by bit.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

OK I'm officially confused! I don't know about TWP, and I'm only looking at CB from when (IF) we get PR on FSW1, but I think the rules must be similar.

I thought you could only apply once you had put your tax return in - whenever that is - as it is means tested. So is it then backdated to when you land? You might not even have stayed in Canada, but gone back home and carried on getting your UK CB! How would they know when to start it - there must be some other criteria.

Getting or not getting CB would make a massive difference to our family income (three kids)! Reallly need to know how this works...!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by EVA3695
I have been looking into this too. We arrived August 2007 on TWP so therefore in March 2009 (19 months after arriving) I applied for Child Tax Credit. They have backpaid from March 2009 only - not from the date we entered on a TWP. We now have PR status but that hasnt made any difference. It took until November to receive any kind of payment at all but has since been backdated from March 2009 bit by bit.
Same here - we arrived June 2007, applied for CB Jan 2009 - received payments in September 2009 backdated to January 2009.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:14 pm

But when you started to get it once you had PR were you backdated to the date you landed or till 18 months of having a TWP - does that make sense ?
I gotta go to work now, but when I get home I will look at the paperwork we recieved and the dates etc and let you know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.