Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you or wouldn't you?

Would you or wouldn't you?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you or wouldn't you?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If only Monet had found some other things to paint beside his back yard.
As far as I am aware, artists subsequent to Monet have not all been painting the same thing using the exact same style.

I realize I'm being overly critical; some first nations stuff is beautiful to look at, but you do get the feeling that once you've seen a few pieces there isn't really much else to see.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 25th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The art isn't necessarily in the subject matter.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The art isn't necessarily in the subject matter.
No, but it's not entirely removed from it either. It's a fair criticism to say it all looks kind of samey because it does.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:19 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, but it's not entirely removed from it either. It's a fair criticism to say it all looks kind of samey because it does.
as someone with limited knowledge but a smattering of art tourism - a lot of movements looks similar though.

they steal / are inspired by each other.

but I do like this guy - uclulet i think

http://www.royhenryvickers.com/
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010

but I do like this guy - uclulet i think

http://www.royhenryvickers.com/
There is a gallery on Granville Island that sells his work as well.

More than just salmon, eagles and frogs I see.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:03 pm

There is a gallery on Granville Island that sells his work as well.

More than just salmon, eagles and frogs I see.
Most of it is though isn't it.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:59 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zercher
Fantastic post, and so glad a native said it. That way nobody is going to be coming on all defensive

I can't imagine moving from a city like London to Van - you prob wouldn't last very long here (unless you're actually from here, like the OP, or are big into your outdoor activities or know you def want a serious break from city life).
Amazing that you have been a month and see you as an expert

I too agree with her, but not all places are the same to all people. I can imagine being young and into the club scene as being disappointed but one does have to grow up you know

Vancouver can offer lots ...different strokes for different folks and all that.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:11 am

I think you have made a pretty accurate summary apart for this.

Having said that, I think I understand what you mean. Vancouver isn't a centre for the "Arts" in the way that London is. If spending days wandering around the National Gallery or the Tate, winter Saturdays at the ROH or ENO, and summer Saturdays at Glyndebourne is what makes a person's world go round then Vancouver is not going to cut the mustard. Paris, Milan, even New York maybe, but not Vancouver.

Does this make the arts scene in Vancouver dull? Well yes, if "Art" is the preserve of DWEMs. And, if not, should Vancouver's (or anywhere else for that matter) arts scene be judged on its ability to mimic European collections and performances - a sort of artistic Epcot Theme Park?
i agree with this and few cities will compare to Paris etc. The other thing with vancouver is that the arts here are so widley dispersed around the city.

From the Chan centre to the the 3 civic theartes (Queen E, Play House and Orphuem) to the stanley Alliance, to the centre to the Cultch and numerous other smaller independent theatres. The VSO and the Opera.... then there's the art gallery and the Museam of Anthropology, Bill Reid Gallery even the Vancouver Museam is OK on a rainy day as is the Maritime Museam. Comparable to most other similar sized cities Not to mention numerous , smaller indpendent art galleries scattered around the city. Not bad for a city that is only a 130 years old.

I've said this before. There is a nature of Vancouver that must be learned. It is a failing of the city that cultural centres are so scattered. I doubt many toursits wander by most of the above noted centres.

Last edited by dboy; Oct 26th 2010 at 2:06 am.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I had a very similar debate and in the end Toronto won and we have now been here a month. I think for me the biggest thing was that I didn't want to be a further 6 hours from the UK which you would be in Vancouver. We were lucky in that we both got intra company transfers which makes the visa/work permit situation a lot easier. My husband was born in Canada so could work straight away but I am still waiting to start, we both increased our salaries by about £10k which was a major factor in deciding to move at a time when redundancies are rife in the UK.

Moving to Canada is a big change, and I think in retrospect we weren't as prepared as we might have been, we moved in the space of about 6 weeks which meant things were a little rushed. If your husband is getting a transfer then his company should help you out a lot, we got flights, rental car, hotel and shipping all paid for which made a big difference. We moved from Manchester which is not the same as Hertfordshire but Toronto is a lot bigger and far from dull once you get into it. We have found that at times things are a bit behind the UK, banking, renting property and even working practices but you get used to it. A month in and we do now feel a bit more on top of things, its actually helped that I haven't been at work because I could go and look at places to live and get a feel for things. Property prices vary as they do in the UK, you certainly get more for your money in the suburbs, downtown you pay a premium - just like in the UK. I can't really say how it is for raising children but my husband lived just outside Toronto till he was 10 and he turned out OK! There is certainly a "healthier" feel over here (not necessarily downtown) and I wouldn't really have any qualms about starting a family here. You do need to be prepared for the need to drive most places, the scale of Canada is difficult for most Brits to get their head round.

In the end we decided to go for it because I think we would have hated to be 80 and wondered what life would have been like if we had taken the opportunity to go to Canada in 2010. If the worst comes to it we can go back in 2 years and we have 2 years of experience working in another country to put on our CVs. You don't say if you are planning to work, so it's difficult to comment on you but you and tour son can certainly get into Canada on a 6 month tourist visa. Your husband's company should be able to help, our companies were really good.

I hope this helps, I think you will know if you want to make the move, it's a simple cost/benefit analysis! No one on here will be able to make up your mind for you but hopefully the positive experiences will help ease any concerns you might have.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by saz1983
My husband and I had a very similar debate and in the end Toronto won and we have now been here a month. I think for me the biggest thing was that I didn't want to be a further 6 hours from the UK which you would be in Vancouver. We were lucky in that we both got intra company transfers which makes the visa/work permit situation a lot easier. My husband was born in Canada so could work straight away but I am still waiting to start, we both increased our salaries by about £10k which was a major factor in deciding to move at a time when redundancies are rife in the UK.

Moving to Canada is a big change, and I think in retrospect we weren't as prepared as we might have been, we moved in the space of about 6 weeks which meant things were a little rushed. If your husband is getting a transfer then his company should help you out a lot, we got flights, rental car, hotel and shipping all paid for which made a big difference. We moved from Manchester which is not the same as Hertfordshire but Toronto is a lot bigger and far from dull once you get into it. We have found that at times things are a bit behind the UK, banking, renting property and even working practices but you get used to it. A month in and we do now feel a bit more on top of things, its actually helped that I haven't been at work because I could go and look at places to live and get a feel for things. Property prices vary as they do in the UK, you certainly get more for your money in the suburbs, downtown you pay a premium - just like in the UK. I can't really say how it is for raising children but my husband lived just outside Toronto till he was 10 and he turned out OK! There is certainly a "healthier" feel over here (not necessarily downtown) and I wouldn't really have any qualms about starting a family here. You do need to be prepared for the need to drive most places, the scale of Canada is difficult for most Brits to get their head round.

In the end we decided to go for it because I think we would have hated to be 80 and wondered what life would have been like if we had taken the opportunity to go to Canada in 2010. If the worst comes to it we can go back in 2 years and we have 2 years of experience working in another country to put on our CVs. You don't say if you are planning to work, so it's difficult to comment on you but you and tour son can certainly get into Canada on a 6 month tourist visa. Your husband's company should be able to help, our companies were really good.

I hope this helps, I think you will know if you want to make the move, it's a simple cost/benefit analysis! No one on here will be able to make up your mind for you but hopefully the positive experiences will help ease any concerns you might have.
It's only another 3 hours. But yes, it can feel isolated out here if you have to deal with people in the UK or Europe frequently.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by saz1983

I dont get the 3 hours closer (not 6) thing, unless you are either flying to the UK on a regular basis or having people fly out. If, like the rest of us, it amounts to once every few years, I dont get it.

Im also from Manchester originally (Dukinfield).
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by dboy
I dont get the 3 hours closer (not 6) thing, unless you are either flying to the UK on a regular basis or having people fly out. If, like the rest of us, it amounts to once every few years, I dont get it.

Im also from Manchester originally (Dukinfield).
If you have to work with people in the UK (which I do) then you notice it. Everybody has buggered off home and I'm barely out of bed...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you have to work with people in the UK (which I do) then you notice it. Everybody has buggered off home and I'm barely out of bed...
I can see that but i ve seen it frequently on here when some see advantages of being a few hours physically closer when it comes to travel.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dboy
Amazing that you have been a month and see you as an expert

I too agree with her, but not all places are the same to all people. I can imagine being young and into the club scene as being disappointed but one does have to grow up you know

Vancouver can offer lots ...different strokes for different folks and all that.
6 weeks actually. Not an expert no

I'm not into clubbing at all actually. In fact I haven't been in a nightclub I would say in at least a year and a half. I like my pints and go out once a week to a pub/late bar - the odd time I might go out more than once a week. That crazy!

Van has good points and I mentioned them before - Kitsilano is a very nice area, love the beach house vibe up there. Also love English Bay area and the walk along Beach Avenue up Denman to Coal Harbour is stunning.

For me though I guess all I heard before coming here was how amazing Vancouver was. And now I realise people are actually talking about the mountains/lakes etc outside the city, which is not the same thing!.. false advertising!

Defo glad I came though, even if I won't be hanging around.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Zercher
6 weeks actually. Not an expert no

I'm not into clubbing at all actually. In fact I haven't been in a nightclub I would say in at least a year and a half. I like my pints and go out once a week to a pub/late bar - the odd time I might go out more than once a week. That crazy!

Van has good points and I mentioned them before - Kitsilano is a very nice area, love the beach house vibe up there. Also love English Bay area and the walk along Beach Avenue up Denman to Coal Harbour is stunning.

For me though I guess all I heard before coming here was how amazing Vancouver was. And now I realise people are actually talking about the mountains/lakes etc outside the city, which is not the same thing!.. false advertising!

Defo glad I came though, even if I won't be hanging around.
You don't know the city after 6 weeks.

I'm guessing you haven\t been to commercial drive, Mount Pleasant, White Rock, Cambie Village, West Broadway, South Granville, Pacific Spirit Park, Deep Cove, Ambleside. Strolled around the older areas, such as Shaungessy and its Mansions. Driven the Sea to Sky Highway...been to Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, Bowen Island, Cortez island....and the list goes on.

And never been here on of our magnificent endless summer days.....no you most certainly don't know the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.