Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you or wouldn't you?

Would you or wouldn't you?

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Krr607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you or wouldn't you?

Hello, please be patient with me as it is my first post. Since yesterday I have been in a state of panic. My hubby has been offered a job in either Toronto, or Vancouver and we don't know whether to go for it or not.
We live in hertfordshire Uk with our 2 year old son.
We have fancied living somewhere other than the UK for a while but all I hear about Canada is negatives. Can someone give me some advice? How does it compare to the uk with cost of living? Cost of housing? Salaries? How does healthcare and schooling work?? I know nothing of Canada. My only experience is a skiing hol in Mont Tremblant and a day in Montreal! My hubby spent 3 days in Toronto recently and found it a bit dull. With regards to ethnicity my husband is Sri lank an and I am white British. Our son is obviously mixed race. Would we be likely to suffer racism etc in Canada?

Are there meet ups for Brits so we could make friends?

Thanks in advance
Kerri

I know I am asking a lot but any advice would be appreciated.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you or wouldn't you?

Originally Posted by Krr607
Hello, please be patient with me as it is my first post. Since yesterday I have been in a state of panic. My hubby has been offered a job in either Toronto, or Vancouver and we don't know whether to go for it or not.
We have fancied living somewhere other than the UK for a while but all I hear about Canada is negatives. Can someone give me some advice? How does it compare to the uk with cost of living? Cost of housing? Salaries? How does healthcare and schooling work?? I know nothing of Canada. My only experience is a skiing hol in Mont Tremblant and a day in Montreal! My hubby spent 3 days in Toronto recently and found it a bit dull. With regards to ethnicity my husband is Sri lank an and I am white British. Our son is obviously mixed race. Would we be likely to suffer racism etc in Canada?

Thanks in advance
Kerri

Hi Kerri, and welcome to the forum.

First thing, deep breaths and count to 10! Then secondly, grab yourself a cuppa and start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which has info on most of the questions you've asked about.

Also do a search, as many of your questions have been asked before (i.e. about racism etc) so that should help too.

Then, once you've had a good read, come back and shout if anything is unclear!

From a visa point of view, is this a company transfer or a new job? Also, if you can tell people what your husband's job is and what the salary is likely to be then they can advise you on whether it's good enough, and which areas you could afford to live in.

Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kerri....well you know where you are going, so that bits easy if you do make the move.

Even though your OH finds Toronto dull, how long do you expect to be here? Is this a 1-3 year deal..or perhaps semi-permanent?

As for salary, he must have an idea what he will be paid when he moves; so based on that you can figure out what you can afford for accommodation.

Can't help you on with the racism aspects, but Toronto is certainly about as multi-ethic as you will find in Canada...not surprising given that it is our largest city. Not a place I would want to live though...or any large city for that matter.

All the best.....
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Kerri

Cost of living in both areas will be similar if not slightly more than where you are now. That said, it all depends where the work will be and your enthusiasm for commuting.

Cost of housing in Vancouver certainly isn't cheap when compared to the salaries on offer. Again, this all depends on where the work is and where you would be living. Downtown Vancouver can see a family home costing you well in excess of $1M although the prices drop the further out you live. I can't speak for Toronto.

Healthcare i personally don't see as being much different from the UK with regards to access and quality.

I personally love Hertfordshire (great schools, great countryside, great access to London/Cambridge etc, great sporting opportunities, etc etc) and would stay there if you're unsure. Especially based on your hubbys reaction to Toronto. The best thing you can do is visit both places. Take 2 or 3 weeks holiday and spend 50% of your time in both. Then make a more informed decision.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Uncontroversial opinion based on a long time living in and around Toronto where, btw, some cars have snow on them already.

How does it compare to the uk with cost of living?
After housing it's about the same. Cost of housing depends on what you pay there and what you want here.

Cost of housing?
www.mls.ca
www.viewit.ca

Salaries?
You need to get twice what you're paid in pounds expressed in dollars, i.e. $80,000 for GBP40,000 in order to be slightly ahead.

How does healthcare and schooling work??
Very much as it does in the UK. Most people use government provided doctors and schools. Provided, of course, in return for taxation which, again, isn't much different in rate from the UK. There are some private schools but no private healthcare to speak of.

Our son is obviously mixed race. Would we be likely to suffer racism etc in Canada?
Not in Toronto. More than half the population was born outside Canada. My kids never brought home a friend who had two parents of the same nationality. There is a street gang called the Tamil Tigers so, I suppose, it would be possible to find race related trouble if dedicated to looking for it.

There are but that's not a very reliable source, better to meet people by engaging in lots of vaguely sporting activities and child related ones.

What you likely have in Hertfordshire that you can't get in Toronto is a mixture of countryside and urbanism. Toronto is huge with ugly sprawing suburbs in three directions, water in the fourth direction. Transit outside the core is, pretty much, crap so you either have to live in the country and drive for a couple of hours to get downtown or live downtown/inner-suburbs and make do with urban parks. If life is not to be "dull" you'll want to do the latter which means looking at the usual suspects for places to live; High Park/Roncesvalles, Leaside, the Beach for inner-burbs or downtown. If living in one of those places you won't need a car, though you'll likely want to have one, if living out of town you'll need two.

My understanding of what you can't get in Vancouver is space inside your apartment or house, it costs too much. My daughter there seems to have a nice life despite living in a shoebox and having only a bicycle; lots of outdoor stuff, camping on islands, skiing, that sort of thing. There is however an argument that moving to Vancouver is the end of one's career, once slowed down to the west coast pace there's no catching up again.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:33 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what 'a bit dull' means in your husband's terms but I suggest that with the exception of Montreal, Toronto probably is the least dull city in Canada.
If that is going to be a major factor in your decision then I would abandon all thoughts of Canada now.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Cars have snow on them already? Haven't seen those - where?

Don't quite know what you're looking for from a place to live but Toronto is anything but dull. I haven't been here long but there isn't much downhill skiinig within easy reach, unlike Vancouver. Mt Tremblant might be the nearest quality ski hill (perhaps - haven't been to Blue Mtns yet so can't comment). Other things though - theatre, sports, art galleries, lovely neighbourhoods and restaurants - all good in my view.

Toronto has many pluses but getting around is not one of them. The traffic is pretty appalling; the 401 freeway is the biggest artery in north america and can be wretched to drive on. Transit is a big issue in the forthcoming mayoral election and the likely victor, Bob Ford, has a very backward view on investment in transport infastructure.

I do like Vancouver but (and I don't want to spark a conflict) but I also find it a bit dull compared with Toronto. The scenery is much nicer, and the proximity to the mountains a plus but there is nowhere near as much going on there (although only in comparison with TO mind). Weather's milder if that's a consideration.

Can't speak for Vancouver but TO is a very tolerant city on issues of race and ethnic diversity. In fact, I think that's a real plus for the city. It beats London, in my view, for its success in integrating different cultures and ethnic groups of people.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Cars have snow on them already? Haven't seen those - where?
I saw them in Grand Valley. I'm told there was 3" in Barrie.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Krr607 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I don't know what 'a bit dull' means in your husband's terms but I suggest that with the exception of Montreal, Toronto probably is the least dull city in Canada.
If that is going to be a major factor in your decision then I would abandon all thoughts of Canada now.
Didn't Mean to cause offense with my quoting my husband's opinion, he was only there for four days.

thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. You have given us a lot to think about and certainly a lot to read. I especially appreciate the advice on how to compare salary over here to what we would need over there.
my husband is due to find out tomorrow more about what the packages will be. It would be a company transfer but I don't know where my son and I would stand with regards to entry into Canada, so maybe we would not be allowed in anyway. I just wanted to seek some immediate advice from those in the know before we take the discussions any further and you have all been most helpful.

Kind Regards and good luck with that snow!

Thank you.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

But to be frank, all of Canada is a bit dull. Its sort like moving down to Dorset to retire, but in your thirties.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents worth ...

Real estate in and around Vancouver is expensive by Canadian standards. Some of it is eyewateringly expensve - but these are not the areas where "ordinary" people live. St Albans is not exactly cheap either. You shouldn't have any probelm in getting a like for like place in terms of size and distance from town. The trouble is that most people live in much bigger houses here.

I used to live in a 2 bed + box room semi in Berkhamsted, Herts (about 1,000 sf). It is worth about £330,000 now. At 1.65 that is about $545,000 which would buy you a house twice the size in some of the suburbs in Metro Vancouver. Alternately, $545,000 woudl buy a 1,000 sf townhome in some of the very best parts of town.

I can't say how Vancouver ranks compared to Toronto but there are lots of different faces in Vancouver. Mixed couples and mixed children are so common that it doesn't merit a second thought.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:15 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I saw them in Grand Valley. I'm told there was 3" in Barrie.
My barber assured me there was snow in Richmond Hill last night. I am a bit concerned Novo may be stuck in it in his new Elantra. Should have bought an SUV...
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:18 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
The traffic is pretty appalling;
I think if you can avoid the 401 at all costs that starts to improve things. Then avoid rush hour(s). I've been doing some driving around the city in the last couple of weeks (more than ever before) and have been struck by how easy it has been (again not at peak times). Today, I had to go to The Beach - came back along Lakeshore and the Gardiner and up Jarvis. All very pleasant with the top off the car. I really don't like the 401 though...
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
.....Should have bought an SUV...
Like this:

or

Choices choices
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance
Kerri

Hi there

Just to reassure you about the racism worries. I am new to Canada, living in Victoria for 3 months now. I have 3 of my children with me, aged 22 to 10 yrs all mixed race. I have never been anywhere that has felt more comfortable for my children. My 10 yr old started school and I dont think they even noticed his skin colour, it was more, wow what a cool accent you have!!! He has afro hair and this could be a problem as there are no Afro hairdressers here. But that is easily sorted with a set of clipppers, thank goodness he is a boy!
It is expensive here, but that is outweighed by the quality of life.

I think you are more likely to regret not going than regret going. Your son is 2 so you are not pulling him out of school, I say it is perfect timing.

Good luck
Sarah x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.