Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would like some honest advice

Would like some honest advice

Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

MrVeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would like some honest advice

Hello all. I'm a new member to this site as me and my wife are wanting to move to Canada from UK. We have 5 children aged 3-9 and I want to know a few things from people without bein sent onto a generic website. I am a joiner/ carpenter with many years of experience, where is the best place I should be looking for work? And will my job enable me to move and support my dear family of 7?

I thank you all in advance. As I just don't know where to even start!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would like some honest advice

Originally Posted by MrVeno
Hello all. I'm a new member to this site as me and my wife are wanting to move to Canada from UK. We have 5 children aged 3-9 and I want to know a few things from people without bein sent onto a generic website. I am a joiner/ carpenter with many years of experience, where is the best place I should be looking for work? And will my job enable me to move and support my dear family of 7?

Based upon what you have said, you should be fine in most places in Canada. If you wish posters to be more specific, you will need to provide us with more details: what activities do you like to do? do you wish to have short or long flights back to the UK? What type of weather do you prefer? Do you want to live in a city or in a rural location? etc
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

it's probably important to add that you need to decide whether you qualify for a visa or not.

There is lots of good information in the WIKI (blue bar top of page) regarding the various visas or Canada.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply. See the thing is we aren't too particular on most things. Flights back to uk don't concern us too much, and activities for us basically surrounds our children. One son does martial arts. One daughter does ballet. And my other son likes playing football (soccer). personally. I'm happy with a nice walk out with my dog (which we are planning on bringing I should have added). I suppose rural would be better suited for us with a decent size town/city near enough. If that makes sense? I do apologise if I seem to vague on this. As our main priority of the move is to get a stable income to provide a stable lifestyle for our family. Something that is proving difficult here in the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

As our main priority of the move is to get a stable income to provide a stable lifestyle for our family. Something that is proving difficult here in the UK.
Just to give you a reality check I am going to point out that moving here (even if you qualify) will cost you a significant sum of money. At least £20k and probably considerably more by the time you are in like for like circumstances (which you are by no means guaranteed). If this is one of your main reasons for looking into Canada then you should consider other locations in the UK too imo. Good luck with whatever you decide though.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Just to give you a reality check I am going to point out that moving here (even if you qualify) will cost you a significant sum of money. At least $20k and probably considerably more by the time you are in like for like circumstances (which you are by no means guaranteed). If this is one of your main reasons for looking into Canada you should consider other locations in the UK too.
I'd double that for a family of 7 tbh (CIC would want to see at least $30k for proof of funds) - the OP might find this thread useful for info on moving and set up costs.............http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd double that for a family of 7 tbh (CIC would want to see at least $30k for proof of funds) - the OP might find this thread useful for info on moving and set up costs.............http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341
I meant £ (you ninja'd my edit). But, yes, moving with 5 kids + pets is going to be pricey.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all. I'm a new member to this site as me and my wife are wanting to move to Canada from UK.
Do you own your own home? Any equity?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:32 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first question will be - Do you qualify for a Visa to move in the first place? Then, to do a basic back of the envelope exercise to see if you have sufficient funds for the move and setup costs. As already atated, you're looking at having to demonstrate the funds are available as part of your application. Aside from that, it costs a FORTUNE to (a) get here and then (b) set up home.

Still if you're determined, to my mind it is one of the best places in the World to live.

Good luck!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think the first question will be - Do you qualify for a Visa to move in the first place? Then, to do a basic back of the envelope exercise to see if you have sufficient funds for the move and setup costs. As already atated, you're looking at having to demonstrate the funds are available as part of your application. Aside from that, it costs a FORTUNE to (a) get here and then (b) set up home.

Still if you're determined, to my mind it is one of the best places in the World to live.

Good luck!
Everywhere in Canada ?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

As of now. I have no equity in property. And looking to apply for visa November 2013. I do qualify on the points test that I have done. What are people's thoughts on moving with a job? Me and my wife are aiming to visit Canada summer 2013 and doing a "scouting trip". Although it would cost a lot of money to set up again. Do you still need the $20,000 in the bank?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

As of now. I have no equity in property. And looking to apply for visa November 2013. I do qualify on the points test that I have done. What are people's thoughts on moving with a job? Me and my wife are aiming to visit Canada summer 2013 and doing a "scouting trip". Although it would cost a lot of money to set up again. Do you still need the $20,000 in the bank?
No. $30,000
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine most people would say moving with a job is a lot more re-assuring than moving without one (unless you're planning self-employment/business set up).

Moving continent without cash in the bank and a job to go to? Hmmmmm....
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Moving continent without cash in the bank and a job to go to? Hmmmmm....
No cash back up, employment security is not that great in Canada and 5 kids
The social welfare system in Canada is nothing like the UK, you are pretty much on your own. You would get no EI if laid off until you've worked for 5 months, even then it is only 65% of your wage and taxable. Medical care, you would need to cover the first three months insurance yourself. Medical care does not kick in right away in all provinces.

With no kids, maybe worth a shot, with any number kids, risky, with 5 a huge gamble. Even with $30k, that would b pretty tight these days.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
No cash back up, employment security is not that great in Canada and 5 kids
The social welfare system in Canada is nothing like the UK, you are pretty much on your own. You would get no EI if laid off until you've worked for 5 months, even then it is only 65% of your wage and taxable. Medical care, you would need to cover the first three months insurance yourself. Medical care does not kick in right away in all provinces.

With no kids, maybe worth a shot, with any number kids, risky, with 5 a huge gamble. Even with $30k, that would b pretty tight these days.

Agree. Too much of a gamble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.