Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Blueskyedreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

My husband and I want to move to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. He is a HGV Mechanic and we are looking to either use the FST or NB PNP. As his trade is not one you usually have a degree for our points value falls short of the required and it therefore looks as though our best route is for him to get a job offer. Following on from our visit in 2014 when we visited potential employers, we have applied for numerous jobs, sent resumes, followed up with phone calls and the feedback we have received is that employers are looking for certification and we are therefore in the process of applying to 'Challenge the Exam' as a trade qualifier for the Interprovincial Red Seal in Nova Scotia. We have just about got all the paperwork for them sorted and have spoken to the Apprenticeship Officer but before we send off the paperwork (and the Payment!!) I thought it might be worth just checking with the collective wealth of knowledge on the British Expats forum.

Any advice would be welcomed - thanks in anticipation
Old Apr 21st 2016, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

Yep Red Seal is the way to go.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Twink1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

Could you let us know how you went about challenging the exam?

We are in the very early stages as have also found employers are looking for the red seal both in Alberta and Ontario. Did you complete all the paperwork here in the UK and then are planning to go to Canada to sit the exam?

My partner is also a heavy duty mechanic.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 5:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth getting the Red Seal???

Originally Posted by Twink1978
Could you let us know how you went about challenging the exam?

We are in the very early stages as have also found employers are looking for the red seal both in Alberta and Ontario. Did you complete all the paperwork here in the UK and then are planning to go to Canada to sit the exam?

My partner is also a heavy duty mechanic.
Red Seal is not an exam, it is an inter provincial endorsement of the provincial exam. Other answers in your thread.