Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Worried slightly about the dont/didnt like about Canada thread

Worried slightly about the dont/didnt like about Canada thread

Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice
Default Re: Worried slightly about the dont/didnt like about Canada thread

Hmmm slightly concerned about the comment relating to whether or not you are going to have kids I am going to be attending University in BC and I have no kids at present. However after graduation and of course I hope I get PR, I do hope to one day start a family. I don't have immediate plans to do so after graduation but I do hope to have a family some day

I would hate for this to be held against me when I start looking for work...
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Hmmm slightly concerned about the comment relating to whether or not you are going to have kids ...

I think it is the same both sides of the pond. Legislation aside, it hugely depends on who is doing the hiring, interviews, company attitudes etc. There will always be people who are reluctant to hire a female in their mid to late 20's. I'm not saying it is right, at all - but it's a fact of life. You face unwitting or deliberate discrimination everywhere you go. It could be that the person interviewing you hates smart black suits, or detests your new blue shirt. Someone may take an instant dislike to your face, your name, your degree or university, your whatever. You work as hard as you can and you do your best. Those with an ounce of sense will keep any 'disallowed' reason for not hiring you well hidden. If they don't, feel free to sue. Personally, I think life it too short and I'd move to the next employer who would appreciate me for all my worth, future pregnancies or not. I would feel happier being employed there in the long run anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Hmmm slightly concerned about the comment relating to whether or not you are going to have kids I am going to be attending University in BC and I have no kids at present. However after graduation and of course I hope I get PR, I do hope to one day start a family. I don't have immediate plans to do so after graduation but I do hope to have a family some day

I would hate for this to be held against me when I start looking for work...
You and me both! I honestly have not seen that kind of discrimination, so while it surely exists, I would imagine it would also exist in the UK as well. I would not let this worry you at all.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a decent life in the UK, Jobs, money, reasonable area to live in, theres really no point in moving to Canada unless you get a better paying job before you make the move. Its too risky otherwise.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If you have a decent life in the UK, Jobs, money, reasonable area to live in, theres really no point in moving to Canada unless you get a better paying job before you make the move. Its too risky otherwise.
That's a bit too broad a generalisation, I think. The UK didn't offer me the lifestyle I wanted, so no matter what my job/home circumstance were, that was unlikely to change.

Some are willing to take a (calculated) risk or two. Would I trade back to my previous job and thatched cottage in the Cotswolds? No thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's a bit too broad a generalisation, I think. The UK didn't offer me the lifestyle I wanted, so no matter what my job/home circumstance were, that was unlikely to change.

Some are willing to take a (calculated) risk or two. Would I trade back to my previous job and thatched cottage in the Cotswolds? No thanks.
But you don't have children. It's one thing to experiment when there's little to lose, another when you have responsibilities.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:32 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

but then if you didnt have the lifestyle you wanted then you didnt have a good life to give up.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Surely anyone considering emigrating must have something about their lifestyle that they want to change?

Having kids in tow would certainly reduce my risk threshold, but there are certainly parents making the move to Canada who are doing it for the opportunities that Canada offers there kids in terms of environment, sports yada yada yada. Everyone has there own reasons, the important thing is to know what they are and make an informed decision.

Ultimately the best thing that kids can have is a happy, settled parents, so if mum and dad hate staying in the UK and would be happier to try Canada, then that's going to be good for the kids no matter what. Kids are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point

Those employers giving out just 10 days leave, do they close down for xmas ?

Just wondered if its a questioin of if you have a 2 week summer vacation off then forget having off xmas

Maybe Canada has more bank holidays or is that a pipe dream !
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
but then if you didnt have the lifestyle you wanted then you didnt have a good life to give up.
True - in the UK I had by most standards a decent life, good job, lived in a lovely village, was debt free etc etc. It's the lifestyle that I wanted here.

I took some risks to get here, but don't regret them.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:55 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by TheStennings

Just wondered if its a questioin of if you have a 2 week summer vacation off then forget having off xmas

Some do, some don't. You can't really generalise.

Here's a list of public holidays for you http://www.publicholidays.ca/
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think canada has at least as many stat days as the UK...it varies by province.

If there was an xmas shutdown and you had used your allowance for the year you would either work extra hours in the lead up to cover it, or end up with it unpaid. My employer has also been know to throw in a "floater" day to bridge the gap, but the way things fallwith weekends etc Xmas Eve to New Years usually only needs one or two days to fill the gaps between the statutory holidays. How you manage that depends on whether you want to be paid for them or not.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point

Some do, some don't. You can't really generalise.

Here's a list of public holidays for you http://www.publicholidays.ca/

Thanks for the link Rich

Iaink-sounds like you have a nice employer
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget that in some bits of Canada, Boxing Day is not a statutory holiday so you can be expected to just return to work on 26th Dec just like in the US. Hubby had 3 calls from Canada on Boxing Day last year, one from a work associate and two from headhunters - all of them were in the office!!