Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:10 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 125
Winterdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Hello šŸ‘‹ ,
Hope you all are well and safe. Iā€™m preparing to put forward a proposal to my uk employer to let me keep my job when I move to a canada. Fingers crossed šŸ¤ž!
Anyone here doing this already? Please can you tell me about how you/your employer are handing it from taxation perspective? Are you a permanent employee or on a contract?

any relevant advice is gratefully received!
Winterdiva is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2021, 6:50 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,778
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by Winterdiva View Post
Hello šŸ‘‹ ,
Hope you all are well and safe. Iā€™m preparing to put forward a proposal to my uk employer to let me keep my job when I move to a canada. Fingers crossed šŸ¤ž!
Anyone here doing this already? Please can you tell me about how you/your employer are handing it from taxation perspective? Are you a permanent employee or on a contract?

any relevant advice is gratefully received!
Freelance contractor (self employed) - that way you invoice them and are able to claim use of home office expenses on taxes.. set up a Transferwise mult currency (borderless) account and they can pay your invoice directly to your 'uk account (on transferwise) and you can transfer the money to your Canada bank account without paying incoming wire transfer fees.
Lots of threads on the subject
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 10:41 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 125
Winterdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Thanks Siouxie. Is there any other way ? I doubt my employer will be ok with the self-employed route
Winterdiva is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 11:51 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 427
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by Winterdiva View Post
Hello šŸ‘‹ ,
Hope you all are well and safe. Iā€™m preparing to put forward a proposal to my uk employer to let me keep my job when I move to a canada. Fingers crossed šŸ¤ž!
Anyone here doing this already? Please can you tell me about how you/your employer are handing it from taxation perspective? Are you a permanent employee or on a contract?

any relevant advice is gratefully received!
I always understood that it's about where you're spending more than 180 days in any year is where you have to pay your taxes.

Also as a Canadian citizen, I've often worked for a UK employer in my life, but spent 3 or 4 weeks at one time in Canada, simply renting an AirBnB and working from home, which was possible in my role.

The CRA in Canada didn't care much, but I also didn't tell them much. Things would have changed if I would have been in Canada more than 180 days. I just had to make up for the time change, get up early, to do my job, and as long as my employer was fine with that and I could cope with the time change nothing really was impossible.....
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 6:26 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,778
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by Winterdiva View Post
Thanks Siouxie. Is there any other way ? I doubt my employer will be ok with the self-employed route
Yes, you can be employed and have your NI and taxes deducted by your employer https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad - then declare the income on your tax return in Canada (you are required to declare world income), show proof that you have paid any taxes in the UK and have them offset against taxes due in Canada... see the links for the rest tax wise
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_Residency-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Taxation-Canada
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nadaindividual

Advantages? - You still have NI contributions being made.

Disadvantages?
You won't be able to make any 'home office' deductions for taxes unless you regularly meet clients at your home office and your employer signs a contract and certifies that you do so.
You won't be making any contributions to CPP nor EI - which means no unemployment pay and a low Pension. (As a self employed person you can opt out of making EI payments, but have to pay CPP)

There are members who work for UK employers who can offer more advice on the tax implications for the UK end.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
I always understood that it's about where you're spending more than 180 days in any year is where you have to pay your taxes.

Also as a Canadian citizen, I've often worked for a UK employer in my life, but spent 3 or 4 weeks at one time in Canada, simply renting an AirBnB and working from home, which was possible in my role.

The CRA in Canada didn't care much, but I also didn't tell them much. Things would have changed if I would have been in Canada more than 180 days. I just had to make up for the time change, get up early, to do my job, and as long as my employer was fine with that and I could cope with the time change nothing really was impossible.....
You were deemed non resident for tax purposes as you don't have significant ties to Canada nor have stayed here long enough in any year
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ts-canada.html

The OP will be living in Canada, not visiting and will be resident for tax purposes.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html.


Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 7:41 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 427
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
You were deemed non resident for tax purposes as you don't have significant ties to Canada nor have stayed here long enough in any year
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ts-canada.html

.
Non resident for tax purposes yes, Not having significant ties, I wouldn't say so. Canadian citizenship and having lived in Canada for more than 6 years are significant ties to me.

However this is purely a tax question. It's not a citizenship question, and neither an immigration matter, at least not in my case.

I could probably do this many many times during the year as long as the CRA doesn't believe I am longer than 180 days in the country. HMRC certainly wouldn't complain as I'd be paying taxes to them and as long as my boss is fine with it, and I get up at 2am in the morning each day to start my work, nobody really cares......
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:46 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,778
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
Non resident for tax purposes yes, Not having significant ties, I wouldn't say so. Canadian citizenship and having lived in Canada for more than 6 years are significant ties to me.

However this is purely a tax question. It's not a citizenship question, and neither an immigration matter, at least not in my case.

I could probably do this many many times during the year as long as the CRA doesn't believe I am longer than 180 days in the country. HMRC certainly wouldn't complain as I'd be paying taxes to them and as long as my boss is fine with it, and I get up at 2am in the morning each day to start my work, nobody really cares......
I hope that you don't get caught, if you are staying longer than 180 days a year.. there are significant penalties for tax evasion.
Perhaps read the link I gave in response to your post, which explains 'non resident for tax purposes' -

Significant residential ties with Canada include:Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:
  • personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
  • social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
  • economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
  • a Canadian driver's licence
  • a Canadian passport
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory
Nothing to do with nationality.

Now back to the OP's questions... who will be residing as a tax resident in Canada, not as a visitor. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Winterdiva View Post
Hello šŸ‘‹ ,
Hope you all are well and safe. Iā€™m preparing to put forward a proposal to my uk employer to let me keep my job when I move to a canada. Fingers crossed šŸ¤ž!
Anyone here doing this already? Please can you tell me about how you/your employer are handing it from taxation perspective? Are you a permanent employee or on a contract?

any relevant advice is gratefully received!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 26th 2021 at 9:52 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:56 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 427
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I hope that you don't get caught, if you are staying longer than 180 days a year.. there are significant penalties for tax evasion.
Perhaps read the link I gave in response to your post, which explains 'non resident for tax purposes' -


Nothing to do with nationality.

Now back to the OP's questions... who will be residing as a tax resident in Canada, not as a visitor. Thanks.
I would certainly qualify for secondary residential ties in Canada. So far I've never had any issues with the CRA.

In the end, if I was in Canada longer than 180 days I would have to inform the HMRC in the UK and claim the taxes back from the UK and have that income taxed in Canada with the CRA.

I would largely assume that it's the tax year not the calendar year which counts.
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:46 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 61
dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

I am in the process of my employer allowing me to work from Canada. They too prefer to continue paying me through PAYE and won't let me work as a self employed person. I was under the impression once I move, then I will be a tax resident of Canada, although if my spouse leaves before me then that would be a significant tie, meaning that's when I would be liable for tax in Canada, is this correct? If this is the case, then would I always be a tax resident of Canada as long as my spouse stayed in Canada??

With CPP and EI, what is the solution to this problem? For instance, say I worked for my UK employer forever but I needed healthcare or treatment in Canada, how would that work? I guess my spouse could get a job where the company provides extended healthcare coverage to us both? Ultimately I would like the flexibility to live between two countries as I am dual citizen with family in both countries but healthcare, taxes, pensions and social security are concerns.
dj322 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:51 pm
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,778
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK employer from Canada - How do you do it (tax)?

Originally Posted by dj322 View Post
I am in the process of my employer allowing me to work from Canada. They too prefer to continue paying me through PAYE and won't let me work as a self employed person. I was under the impression once I move, then I will be a tax resident of Canada, although if my spouse leaves before me then that would be a significant tie, meaning that's when I would be liable for tax in Canada, is this correct? If this is the case, then would I always be a tax resident of Canada as long as my spouse stayed in Canada??

With CPP and EI, what is the solution to this problem? For instance, say I worked for my UK employer forever but I needed healthcare or treatment in Canada, how would that work? I guess my spouse could get a job where the company provides extended healthcare coverage to us both? Ultimately I would like the flexibility to live between two countries as I am dual citizen with family in both countries but healthcare, taxes, pensions and social security are concerns.
You don't have to pay EI as a self employed person unless you opt in. You pay CPP as a self employed person (or both as an employee in Canada). CPP is Canada Pension Plan.. EI is Employment Insurance - for if you lose your job, etc. Neither has any bearing on healthcare - healthcare comes as being a resident of a Province, nothing to do with income, you will need to be resident in the Province for a specific amount of time each year to continue to qualify for it... https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

You have to declare your world income if you are living in Canada or are considered resident for tax purposes.. there are differences in being resident for tax purposes and being a physical resident - primary and secondary ties etc., see CRA for details https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html

Perhaps check back on your previous thread on taxation? https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...-query-933676/

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 23rd 2021 at 10:01 pm.
Siouxie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright Ā© 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.