Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working remotely for UK company while in Ontario

Working remotely for UK company while in Ontario

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working remotely for UK company while in Ontario

Originally Posted by MS2017
Thanks Aviator for your feedback - I will need to register for HST/GST but wouldn't charge it to the UK company. As you say I will need to weigh up the pro's and cons of each route
I wouldn't be jumping in to incorporation unless there was a very specific need. Find an accountant to advise if you don't fully understand how it all works.
There is no threshold of income before you start reporting, your world income is reportable from the first dollar, there are some allowances that can be claimed, this is all done on a T1 return.

If you want a local accountant, get to wherever you are moving to, and get recommendations. If you want a bigger firm (and price too), try MNP, PWC or Deloitte.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 8:55 am
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

so apparently my employer isn’t set up to have me on a contract working in Canada so looks like I will have to be self-employed and invoice them.

I doubt I’ll ever reach the $35k GST threshold as I’d only be working a couple of days a week. It would be pretty simple work so I doubt I need to bother with any kind of business registration or incorporation.

So seems to be be the only barrier is the one client issue as I’d only be working for them.

Does anyone have experience of that specifically? Is it really a barrier to doing this?

Oh and does does anyone know a decent accountant in the Mississauga, ON area?
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
Hi all,

so apparently my employer isn’t set up to have me on a contract working in Canada so looks like I will have to be self-employed and invoice them.

I doubt I’ll ever reach the $35k GST threshold as I’d only be working a couple of days a week. It would be pretty simple work so I doubt I need to bother with any kind of business registration or incorporation.

So seems to be be the only barrier is the one client issue as I’d only be working for them.

Does anyone have experience of that specifically? Is it really a barrier to doing this?

Oh and does does anyone know a decent accountant in the Mississauga, ON area?
You don't need an accountant. Use any software to keep track of your income and expenses.. then use Studiotax or similar (FREE, Approved by CRA) to prepare your tax return.

You will most likely need a business license (from the City jurisdiction you live in).
As to your question..

Set yourself up as a business (not incorporated) - get a business number - make yourself a website (or use a free one online, I can give you some links) to 'advertise' your service - then you have a legitimate business who happens to have ONE overseas client at the present time. You'll likely need a business number for your invoicing - plus being able to offset expenses for taxes is very useful... and for making payments for CPP.

Small Business Ontario has lots of info
https://canadabusiness.ca/starting/c...ng-a-business/
https://www.ontario.ca/page/small-bu...es-regulations
https://www.ontario.ca/page/small-business-access

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 31st 2018 at 3:18 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 4:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you are under $35k in revenue and don't expect to exceed that and don't have any employees, you don't need a business number from CRA. A BN is so you can pay corporate taxes, remit payroll and collect and remit federal sales tax.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 6:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you are under $35k in revenue and don't expect to exceed that and don't have any employees, you don't need a business number from CRA. A BN is so you can pay corporate taxes, remit payroll and collect and remit federal sales tax.

Apologies, miscommunication. I meant a BIN - nothing to do with CRA

Master Business License, Ontario
https://www.ontariobusinesscentral.c...gistration.php
A Master Business Licence confirms that a business name has been registered on the public record maintained by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, Companies and Personal Property Security Branch. It includes the registration and expiry dates, as well as the Business Identification Number. It can also be used as proof of registration for a business name at financial institutions. A Business Name registration is required to be renewed every five years and a new Master Business Licence will be issued.
As opposed to: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/ta...ss-number.html

these might be of use:
Mississauga.ca - Business - Start Your Business

https://www.thefutureisunlimited.ca/...ked-questions/
Old Sep 1st 2018, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry only just seen this thread. I've have and had various contracts in the UK usually working for UK universities sometimes one off assignments others are 9 months at a time. Sometimes I've been self employed and at other times taxed. I declare everything to the CRA and pay the tax I need to. I see someone I've seen for years who does my CRA returns. I'm careful to make sure i include all the UK income. I'm not that organized but I do keep a table of payments as a word file and I'm reasonably good at noting all my payments promptly. I'm less good at noting all my business expenses particularly in relation to my Canadian contracts. Same thing again: sometimes I'm on payroll short term: sometimes I'm on a contract for services. Phew!

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 1st 2018 at 8:26 am.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Mattd77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Sorry only just seen this thread. I've have and had various contracts in the UK usually working for UK universities sometimes one off assignments others are 9 months at a time. Sometimes I've been self employed and at other times taxed. I declare everything to the CRA and pay the tax I need to. I see someone I've seen for years who does my CRA returns. I'm careful to make sure i include all the UK income. I'm not that organized but I do keep a table of payments as a word file and I'm reasonably good at noting all my payments promptly. I'm less good at noting all my business expenses particularly in relation to my Canadian contracts. Same thing again: sometimes I'm on payroll short term: sometimes I'm on a contract for services. Phew!

just picking up on this thread.

What visa were you on?

i am applying for PR through spousal sponsorship but in the interim my company wants me to stay on payroll here but are happy for me to work remotely from “anywhere in the world I want” so we are using it as an opportunity to start our lives in Canada earlier than waiting for PR as I will have a constant source of income. Just don’t know if I can to this on a visitor visa and ‘flag pole’ every six months?

any advice would be appreciated
Old Oct 18th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a Permanent Resident.
Look up IRCC's definition of '''work".

Apply online to extend visitor status.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattd77

just picking up on this thread.

What visa were you on?

i am applying for PR through spousal sponsorship but in the interim my company wants me to stay on payroll here but are happy for me to work remotely from “anywhere in the world I want” so we are using it as an opportunity to start our lives in Canada earlier than waiting for PR as I will have a constant source of income. Just don’t know if I can to this on a visitor visa and ‘flag pole’ every six months?

any advice would be appreciated
Hello and welcome to BE!

Firstly, you don't need to 'flagpole' - you can apply for an extension online... however, do bear in mind that you will need to wait until such time as you have received 1st stage approval (Sponsor Approval) or at minimum AOR, before entering Canada under dual intent with the view to relocating and staying permanently.

We've a great section in our Wiki about that... https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Can_I_wait_in_Canada_while_my_application_i s_being_processed:_Dual_Intent
Bear in mind the part in the link above about showing proof of ties if you haven't received AOR / SA... once you have an acknowledgement or sponsor approval, you're generally good to enter under Dual Intent.

As to your original question, yes, you can work remotely from Canada as a visitor without need of a work permit - because you are not taking work away or doing work that a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident could be doing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t-is-work.html
What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?

long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 18th 2018 at 4:57 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

ameliax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i'm jumping in here too in the hopes somebody can help... it's 3:30am and I should probably be sleeping but you know when you're focused on something and just need to find out an answer... anyway!

My husband and I are sending off our outland spousal application this week (I'm living in Canada currently from the UK on visitor status - currently awaiting an extension to keep me here for a few more months if possible), however I was looking into picking up some online work from a UK based company I worked for in the past for the remainder of my stay until I head back to the UK. Not related to Canada at all and any salary would be paid into my UK bank account.

I've read the "long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;" statement on the government website but I wondered if this had ever caused any implications for anybody on here? ...especially as I didn't arrive with this job, it would be something that I'd start within the next few weeks if I decide to do it so would require me to update my application with new information. Also a little confused on if I'd be required to pay tax to Canada or if the UK tax is enough? Ok, time to sleep and come back to this tomorrow.

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Jellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond reputeJellodog has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in Canada and invoicing clients in the UK for almost 2 years now. I started off by reading through all the BE threads I could find on the subject and ended up following nearly all the advice from Aviator. Aviator's advice is excellent. Thanks Aviator!

Anyway, yes, Aviator was right - incorporation would have been unnecessarily complex and more of a burden upon me in terms of obligations and paperwork. I'm self-employed, registered as a sole proprietor which means that I simply complete a personal tax return at the end of the year. I am registered for GST, because I earn above the threshold, but my services to the UK are zero-rated for sales tax because the customer is outside of Canada.

The main reason I'm posting is to mention that I do invoice in GBP to make everything simple and attractive for my UK clients and they pay into my UK bank account. Bank FX rates are terrible, though, so you would benefit from using an FX company if you are going to convert GBP to CAD regularly.

Once my invoice is paid into my UK bank account, I immediately transfer the payment from my UK account to an FX company's account (TransferWise), and from there, the FX company transfers to my Canadian bank account where the FX rate is recorded. You have to keep track of FX gains and losses and report that at the end of the year. Accounting software can take care of automatically tracking the FX losses and gains - it's not really a problem if you let software take care of it.

Recently, though, I've been using my TransferWise "Borderless account", rather than my bricks and mortar UK bank account. It's essentially a virtual UK bank account with a UK sort code and account number, which my clients pay GBP into and then the money is immediately transferred to my Canadian business account. It's useful as is, with one less transfer step, but it's also nice insurance against my UK bank deciding to close my UK bank account in my absence, which unfortunately does happen sometimes. I sleep a little better knowing that I've got this backup route.