Reload this Page >

Move from UK to Alberta

Move from UK to Alberta

Old Nov 4th 2018, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Move from UK to Alberta

Hi Guys, first post so be gentle.
My husband and I along with our two children aged 15 & 11 are looking into the move to Alberta hopefully around Edmonton area.

I am a nurse with over 10 years experience and OH is an electrician with 14 years experience 5 of which were in USA.

How hard is it to transfer RGN status to LPN status?
Is it best for my OH to get his Red Seal prior to applying for a job?
Is the education system similar to that of USA i.e SATs at 18 then college?
Any areas to avoid around Edmonton?

I'm sure I've got plenty more questions but that's it for now. I'll keep searching the forums for other information.
Thank you so much

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2018 at 6:32 pm. Reason: moved immigration questions to Immi forum :)
Old Nov 4th 2018, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from UK to Alberta

Originally Posted by Luisec143
My husband and I along with our two children aged 15 & 11 are looking into the move to Alberta hopefully around Edmonton area. I am a nurse with over 10 years experience and OH is an electrician with 14 years experience 5 of which were in USA.
Our IELTS scores are 8 and above and we've got a CRS score of 367. We've also done the express entry test and were given the all clear to apply through express entry.
My main questions are;
With a score of 367 will we get LPR?
I'm sure I've got plenty more questions but that's it for now. I'll keep searching the forums for other information.
Thank you so much

Hello and welcome to BE!

I'm going to split your post to make 2 separate threads.. (although I'll leave your original one here!

Canada Forum: Your questions about Edmonton and area, education system and working as a Nurse in Alberta

Immigration Forum: Your questions regarding Immigration matters

That way you'll get responses from people who are knowledgeable and experienced in the different subjects, rather than a free-for-all from everyone and not necessarily correct information with regards to immigration matters.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much 😊
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try for both LPN and RN? Either way you have to go through NNAS.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks Silverdragon102, I got slightly confused with the LPN and realise it should be RN that I apply for.
thanks for the pointer 👍🏼
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Silverdragon102, I got slightly confused with the LPN and realise it should be RN that I apply for.
thanks for the pointer 👍🏼
Depending on transcripts you may find you are low on certain clinical and theory hours but there usually are assessment course that is required with the college. Also jobs in Alberta for nurses can be difficult especially full time as jobs are very much in majority of places union protected
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your info, I’m not really sure what you mean when you say jobs are difficult to come by in Alberta because they are union protected? Would you elaborate please?
I’m only hoping to work part time 24-30 hrs.
i appreciate your knowledge and input 👍🏼
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:40 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your info, I’m not really sure what you mean when you say jobs are difficult to come by in Alberta because they are union protected? Would you elaborate please?
Whilst no expert, I gather from friends in the health sector here that new full-time positions go to the existing part-time nurses who have been working and waiting the longest for a full time role. You'd likely join part-time and be at the back of the queue for a full time gig.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I along with our two children aged 15 & 11 are looking into the move to Alberta hopefully around Edmonton area.

I am a nurse with over 10 years experience and OH is an electrician with 14 years experience 5 of which were in USA.

Thank you so much
I have two of the biggest electrical contractors in the city on some of my projects..things are a bit tight now especially with the ice district moving into its closing phases..still they are always looking for good time served sparks.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cheeky_monkey
Any chance you have a contacts for electrician jobs 😁
just taking your name on and being cheeky ☺️
Thanks for everyone’s advice and replies we really appreciate it.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheeky_monkey
Any chance you have a contacts for electrician jobs � ����
just taking your name on and being cheeky ☺️
Thanks for everyone’s advice and replies we really appreciate it.

He'll need to get his Provincial Certification before he can work, Electrician is a regulated job.
You can read more about challenging the exam here - I believe he'll need around 9000 hours experience and employers references and sit an exam: https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/expe...ional-workers/

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/expe...n-certificate/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 6th 2018 at 12:08 am.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jobs go by seniority so if already working for the health authority then they get job first depending on seniority. Most get foot in door by working casual first and over years gain part time position plus Alberta is and has been going through major changes with jobs being lost rather than being filled. A lot will depend on where in Alberta you want to live and work
Old Nov 6th 2018, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks Silverdragon102.
We’re looking around Edmonton or Calgary to live. We’re open to moving where there are jobs to be honest ☺️
Will try do some more digging on job sites etc
thanks again
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don’t rely too much on job banks for nursing. Just because job is advertised doesn’t mean it will be filled. Jobs have to be advertised to meet union requirements
Old Nov 6th 2018, 5:03 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont wish to dampen your spirits but the transferring of Nursing qualifications is a long, expensive and frustrating process. My wife is a Canadian citizen, was an LPN in the past, trained and worked in Canada (BC) for 5 years, then moved to England (to be with me) and studied as an RN in England, 1st with honours, then worked as an RN in England - now we have moved back to Canada (BC) and she applied both to reinstate her LPN, and also to transfer her RN. She applied about a year ago now and we have spent several $'000 dollars on assessments and still arent completed the process, which we understand will result in a demand for additional learning, more time and money. And this does not seem to be the exception if you search on here everybody seems to have a similarly hard time transferring nursing qualifications. Just know to expect it and dont hope for a quick fix.