Reload this Page >

Information on Edmonton

Information on Edmonton

Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Jamesey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on Edmonton

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum so be gentle 😜
I have accepted a job in Edmonton on a two year visa and i am heading out in a couple of weeks, my wife and kids are staying in the uk for now and I’m heading there to give it a go and see if it’s worth relocation with the family and to see if I like my job of course. I have worked on the east coast of Canada on and off for a few years so I’m prepared for the winter.

Would aprciate any information on Edmonton, best places to live things to do and a good pub for football of course.

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2018, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on Edmonton

Sir Winston's Fish & Chips is pretty good.
Sherlock Holmes pub.
http://www.thesherlockspubs.com/

British Restaurants in Edmonton
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...n_Alberta.html

Apartment Rental:
One of the largest apartment rental companies in the city:
https://www.bwalk.com/en-ca

Last edited by Linotype; Oct 18th 2018 at 10:13 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the info, what are the best suburbs to live? With having the best schools and things to do etc.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 8:51 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
the best schools and things to do etc.
2018 Fraser Institute interactive school rankings for Alberta
Old Oct 19th 2018, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please .......... do be aware that the Fraser Institute Reports are VERY biased towards private schools .............. The Fraser Institute is a very right-wing think tank.

Last edited by scilly; Oct 19th 2018 at 11:54 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 4:49 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Oh please .......... do be aware that the Fraser Institute Reports are VERY biased towards private schools .............. The Fraser Institute is a very right-wing think tank.
We all eagerly await your better resource offering to the OP...
Old Oct 21st 2018, 10:51 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Hi Jamesey, We visited my daughter last month in Griesbach, Edmonton, great place to live
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 2:43 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
Many thanks for the info, what are the best suburbs to live? With having the best schools and things to do etc.
North Edmonton is full of scumbags..south Edmonton away from Millwoods has a different class of scumbag
Old Oct 25th 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Well thanks for the info, a harsh term scumbags but still non the wiser 😂
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Britishguy1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jamesy
I'm heading out to Edmonton soon as my PRTD arrives my family is already residing there they live South Twilligar area and Summerside my boys attending 2 wonderful schools my youngest is 8 and is attending Nellie Carlson highly rated and my second is attending Lille Osbourne our secondary school.They love it.. hope this info helps.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where in Ed you are working would be a significant factor around where to live.

As a sole adult, you can go pretty much anywhere in the city and surrounding area once you are looking for kids and schools etc I would look more at St Albert and Sherwood Park instead of Edmonton (both are about a 30minute commute downtown). South Ed is generally better than the north edmonton areas.

For schooling, fraser is good for telling you the grades/ranking but wouldn't read any further than that - you need to have a look round the ones in the zone you decide to live in to get a feel for it. In St A there wasn't really a bad school and all pretty similar. I'd suggest getting onto a few FB groups in the area (or get the partner to find some too) as they will give you the most uptodate info as to which schools are good
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your children? I'm living in the South West of Edmonton in the Windermere area and I love it, but as it's a new area that doesn't have a ton of schools yet, some of the children have to be bussed out of the community for school and the bus rides are quite long for little ones. We rented here the first couple of years to decide if we liked it and then so we could get more familiar with the areas and where we wanted to live. The rental market is hurting a bit right now so hopefully that means you'll be able to easily find accommodation and another site to check out is www.rentfaster.ca There are a few groups for football watching in the pub but I only really know about the team I support (LFC) and that has a really strong group of supporters :P In terms of areas to avoid, we have a few neighbourhoods that have quite the reputation but to be fair, people live in them perfectly happily. The commute in winter can be hellish so it's worthwhile considering that when choosing an area to live. You can check out school boundaries on the school board website EPSB.ca - Edmonton Public Schools or for catholic schools www.ecsd.net