Working Remotely for a UK Company

Wikiposts

Working Remotely for a UK Company

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 3:18 am
Just Joined

MylesS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Remotely for a UK Company

Hi all,

Firstly, let me apologise if this is the incorrect forum to ask this sort of question. Upon doing some research, I couldn't find a similar forum that may be able to help me with my query, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Once again, apologies.

I'd like to start off by saying I am currently not looking to permanently live or move to Canada. That being said, after (hopefully) COVID has died down, I'd be interested in taking advantage of the 6 month eTA stay time and using it to its full advantage to travel & stay in Canada for a few months. That being said, I am a little confused regarding the work laws.

Currently, I am employed with a UK company, and work remotely, full time. I have even before the pandemic. That being said, it allows me to work from almost anywhere given I meet the requirements/rules of the country, and of course fullfil my contract obligations. I've done some reading, but I can't find any solid evidence that says I need a work permit, or similar to do remote work for a UK company in Canada.

If anyone has experience with this, or can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks and aplogies again if I'm in the wrong place.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 3:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Remotely for a UK Company

Hi, welcome to BE.

You don't need a work permit if you're not taking work away from a Canadian. A quick forum search will bring up some relevant info, and previous threads, here's a recent one to get you started - Moving to Canada for 3 months but still working for my UK employer.

As per that thread, you'll need to think about things that you won't be eligible for as a visitor i.e. healthcare etc, so make sure you're covered on that. And note it's 'up to' 6 months, so you may well be given less, don't assume you'll get the full 6 months.

Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 3:40 am
Just Joined

MylesS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Remotely for a UK Company

Hi!

Thank you for your speedy response, greatly appreciated. Your post, as well as the linked thread has given me a lot of insite.

Thank you again, have a great day!