Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada for 3 months but still working for my UK employer.

Moving to Canada for 3 months but still working for my UK employer.

Old May 24th 2021, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Rihannafan1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada for 3 months but still working for my UK employer.

Hi all,

Firstly, apoligies for asking a question that has almost certainly been asked before but i couldnt find quite the right set of circumstances for me and i am in fear of messing something up .

I am currently looking to stay in Canada for around 3 months. During this time i will be visiting family but i also want to work my normal UK job remotely, my employer is more than happy with this.

When i am looking to travel to Canada, what type of visa should i be applying for or is the eta sufficient? Do i need to make any special arrangements given the length of the stay? And will i need to make any changes to the way i am paying tax?

Any additional information you feel will be useful would be more than appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time,

Harry.
Old May 24th 2021, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for 3 months but still working for my UK employer.

Hi, welcome to BE.

You can work for your employer in Canada without needing any kind of work permit to do so (as you're not deemed to be entering the labour market in Canada, or taking anything away from Canadians) and with just the ETA. You'll be a visitor and therefore not eligible for anything like healthcare etc, so you'll need to make sure you have good medical insurance cover. Assume it's just you going and you don't have a spouse/children?

Obviously you can't do any of this at the moment as you can't enter Canada (unless you qualify for an exemption due to the family you mention?), but hope that gives you an idea for when the restrictions are lifted anyway.

HTH, good luck.

Old May 24th 2021, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In addition I suggest having a return ticket, contact details of people you are visiting and perhaps a letter from your UK employer which states when you are due back at work. There is no guarantee you will get the 3 months but if well prepared then shouldn't encounter any problems. If a UK citizen holding a UK passport then only eTA required. Only tax implication will be for the UK Govt.
Old May 24th 2021, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Only tax implication will be for the UK Govt.
I don't even think HMRC will have any issues but it's certainly worth checking up on that one. In 3 months that means most likely 3 payslips and they would be either sent to your UK address or available online on your company's system. HMRC will most likely tax you as if you were sill in the UK, as it's only 3 months, and not over the 180 plus day ruling. Most likely your UK council tax will also have to be paid during this time.

I also don't think that Revenue Canada will take an interest in you, as you don't have a Canadian SIN number, nor is is it a Canadian employment and you're not even deemed as an immigrant or any other temporary worker.
Old May 24th 2021, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Correct as in keep paying taxes even if on vacation and working remotely.
Old May 24th 2021, 3:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No work permit required / no taxes due etc., providing none of the remote work undertaken is for a Canadian company (for example, if you are working for an agency in the UK/elsewhere remotely online, with Canadian clients who you do work for, you could have an issue. If all clients you worked on were outside of Canada you are good to go.)
Old May 26th 2021, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your help it is very useful .

Yes it will just be me coming to Canada and i will still have my place i rent in the UK so it will be very easy to prove i have the intention to return to the UK once my stay is done.

Again you are all a huge help so thank you very much.

Harry
Old May 26th 2021, 7:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rihannafan1993
Thank you all for your help it is very useful .

Yes it will just be me coming to Canada and i will still have my place i rent in the UK so it will be very easy to prove i have the intention to return to the UK once my stay is done.

Again you are all a huge help so thank you very much.

Harry
Having a rental property in the UK may well not be seen as a tie to the UK if they do ask, what they are looking for is usually a job and place of work, property ownership, something that physically ties you to a need to return to the UK.
Old May 26th 2021, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what he said. ^^^ That's not really a tie as you could give that up from Canada. So just make sure you have things like a letter from your employer confirming your return date etc.

Worth noting that the person that responded to you above (Former Lancastrian) about proving ties is a CBSA officer, so it could well be him examining you for entry, and will certainly be one of his colleagues. So definitely worth heeding that advice and making sure you take as much proof as possible if you want to be given the full 3 months entry.

HTH.
Old May 26th 2021, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In addition I suggest having a return ticket, contact details of people you are visiting and perhaps a letter from your UK employer which states when you are due back at work. There is no guarantee you will get the 3 months but if well prepared then shouldn't encounter any problems. If a UK citizen holding a UK passport then only eTA required. Only tax implication will be for the UK Govt.
Okay, thank you.

So i have a pet in the UK and i could easily get a letter from my employer saying I will need to return I also have all of my closest family living inside of the UK. Would this be sufficient in proving i have every intention of returning?

Harry
Old May 26th 2021, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rihannafan1993
Okay, thank you.

So i have a pet in the UK and i could easily get a letter from my employer saying I will need to return I also have all of my closest family living inside of the UK. Would this be sufficient in proving i have every intention of returning?

Harry
That sounds good. If you've got a pet you'll be leaving with a friend, I'd also get the friend to write a letter confirming that, as it may be helpful too.
Old May 26th 2021, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Okay, thank you very much.

You guys have been amazingly helpful and i am very grateful for your time and effort.

Harry