Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Old Oct 15th 2021, 6:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Originally Posted by circusplaza
not yet on LOA as the official letter has not arrived, so still fully employed.
But I believe this is not relevant either for the question above, is it?
I wondered as your L1A expired (June 2021) and the extension wasn't approved (August) and you had mentioned that the company were going to place you on LOA, whether this had an impact on your overall employment status (seniority/position) and whether this had an ongoing impact on their ability to apply for an ITC for their 'Ottawa' branch (is it smaller?)
Not to worry.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 15th 2021 at 6:08 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I wondered as your L1A expired (June 2021) and the extension wasn't approved (August) and you had mentioned that the company were going to place you on LOA, whether this had an impact on your overall employment status (seniority/position) and whether this had an ongoing impact on their ability to apply for an ITC for their 'Ottawa' branch (is it smaller?)
Not to worry.
apparently no problems on the ITC process, but yes most likely the Ottawa office is smaller than Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal and maybe there is a company policy (I couldn’t find it) to be based there.
What I am interested in, about the legulatory stuff, does not seem to exist.

cheers all!
Old Oct 24th 2021, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Notsosure1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Ottawa on a TWP and were given the same choice Ottawa or Toronto. Never heard of a rule as mentioned of having to have been in the country for 5 years??
Old Oct 24th 2021, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notsosure1
We are in Ottawa on a TWP and were given the same choice Ottawa or Toronto. Never heard of a rule as mentioned of having to have been in the country for 5 years??
thanks! Makes sense.
there is not such rule, the moment I challenged my HR department, they came offering back Ottawa as option.
I never asked why they told me this at the beginning…

Last edited by circusplaza; Oct 24th 2021 at 2:48 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 2:38 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice

If your company is in any way involved in sensitive business with the Federal Goverment, so we are talking "Ottawa" referring to government, that may be the issue. PR can, as far as I know, be required in some instances, and even citizenship in others (I think for defence).

I was going to make a similar comment, that "Ottawa" could be the company meaning something governmental, which would not be available to someone on a temporary work permit.

I've gone down the intra-company transferee path, and do not recall there being any restrictions location wise as to where I worked. Yes, I was locked in to working for the same company, and a few other restrictions.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
thanks! Makes sense.
there is not such rule, the moment I challenged my HR department, they came offering back Ottawa as option.
I never asked why they told me this at the beginning…
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have no expertise but can only believe that there's no reason Ottawa would not be a legal choice.
As you probably know Toronto is very expensive and takes 2 hours to go anywhere. Having said that Ottawa home prices are also up a lot in the last 18 months or more. I am in Rockland, about 40km east of Ottawa, it's a fairly bilingual town and as a unilingual anglophone I do fine. Rockland is less expensive that Ottawa itself. Hopefully the Ottawa phase 2 light rail (LRT) should be operational from the east side of Ottawa (Trim Road thru downtown) from Fall 2022 which makes commuting (if anyone still does that) easier, as long as the trains stay on the track! There has been issues with the new LRT but I hope they are about resolved now.