British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Working in Ottawa as new to the country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/working-ottawa-new-country-941110/)

circusplaza Oct 14th 2021 8:05 pm

Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Hi guys - I am in the process of an internal transfer from US to Canada (3 years back I moved from UK to US on the same type of transfer, company managerial transfer).

The point is;
my company, in principle, allowed me to choose the location to settle on and I was between Ottawa and Toronto. Now from HR they came back saying there is a law that an immigrant cannot work in Ottawa unless has previously lived 5 years in the country.
it does look weird to me and in a quick Google search I cannot find anything about it.

Do you guys know anything about it?

Cheers!

christmasoompa Oct 14th 2021 8:18 pm

Re: Working in Ottawa as new to the country

I’m wondering if perhaps they mean you can’t work in the job unless you’re a PR? But then that would apply no matter where the job is based. I’d ask them for a link on a government website explaining it as it doesn’t sound right to me.

circusplaza Oct 14th 2021 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13061863)
I’m wondering if perhaps they mean you can’t work in the job unless you’re a PR? But then that would apply no matter where the job is based. I’d ask them for a link on a government website explaining it as it doesn’t sound right to me.

thanks for the reply, I am moving with a work permit, no PR.
As far as I know I am allowed to work in the country with the work permit and going as InterCompany Transfer, indeed they said Toronto no problems.

if there is a requirement (legally) that you cannot work in Ottawa unless you are PR or citizen, this could be, however I find nothing in Google.

Anyways, it does sound weird if this exists and this is what I am trying to find. My trust in some of the mobility team members from my firm is limited due to past events.

PMM Oct 14th 2021 8:54 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by circusplaza (Post 13061868)
thanks for the reply, I am moving with a work permit, no PR.
As far as I know I am allowed to work in the country with the work permit and going as InterCompany Transfer, indeed they said Toronto no problems.

if there is a requirement (legally) that you cannot work in Ottawa unless you are PR or citizen, this could be, however I find nothing in Google.

Anyways, it does sound weird if this exists and this is what I am trying to find. My trust in some of the mobility team members from my firm is limited due to past events.

1. They maybe confused, as in 99.99% of cases you have to be a PR or Canadian citizen to work for the Federal Gov't. I assume your job won't be with the Feds.

circusplaza Oct 14th 2021 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 13061872)
Hi

1. They maybe confused, as in 99.99% of cases you have to be a PR or Canadian citizen to work for the Federal Gov't. I assume your job won't be with the Feds.

Not working for the government neither directly nor indirectly.
I am inclined to think (unless someone here enlightens me) that:
a) they just want to “force” me to live in Toronto as a bigger city and office workforce.
b) they do not know what they do.

I would be fuming now they ask me to move to Canada because they need my skills there and pretty much open any location and now I choose they come up with problems.

Siouxie Oct 15th 2021 12:23 am

You won't be an immigrant, per se, if you are only coming here on a TWP as an intra company transfer - it's temporary status, not permanent immigrant status..:D
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

This might be of use https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

circusplaza Oct 15th 2021 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13061933)
You won't be an immigrant, per se, if you are only coming here on a TWP as an intra company transfer - it's temporary status, not permanent immigrant status..:D
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

This might be of use https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

yes, this describes the type of visa I spoke to the lawyers about.
it does not say anything about restrictions on locations on this visa (unless I missed something in the canadian website), so something is not right in the HR process to tell me today Ottawa is not an option.

circusplaza Oct 15th 2021 2:42 pm

Folks, any other comments here?

Siouxie Oct 15th 2021 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by circusplaza (Post 13062075)
Folks, any other comments here?

Are you still on LOA from the American company - until they 'relocate' you temporarily?

spouse of scouse Oct 15th 2021 3:14 pm

Shelly, your links have no place on this thread, they have nothing to do with the OP's questions.

circusplaza Oct 15th 2021 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13062084)
Are you still on LOA from the American company - until they 'relocate' you temporarily?

not yet on LOA as the official letter has not arrived, so still fully employed.
But I believe this is not relevant either for the question above, is it?

christmasoompa Oct 15th 2021 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by circusplaza (Post 13062087)
not yet on LOA as the official letter has not arrived, so still fully employed.
But I believe this is not relevant either for the question above, is it?

It might not be relevant to the question above, but if Siouxie's asked, I'm guessing there's a reason for that and it has a bearing on something.

Tumbling_Dice Oct 15th 2021 3:49 pm

That is a weird one. If it is "Ottawa" referring to the geographical location, it isn't the Forbidden City, so there is probably something more going on with your company.

If your company is in any way involved in sensitive business with the Federal Goverment, so we are talking "Ottawa" referring to government, that may be the issue. PR can, as far as I know, be required in some instances, and even citizenship in others (I think for defence).

circusplaza Oct 15th 2021 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 13062099)
That is a weird one. If it is "Ottawa" referring to the geographical location, it isn't the Forbidden City, so there is probably something more going on with your company.

If your company is in any way involved in sensitive business with the Federal Goverment, so we are talking "Ottawa" referring to government, that may be the issue. PR can, as far as I know, be required in some instances, and even citizenship in others (I think for defence).

thanks!
my company may have programme running government initiatives, but so far I won’t be part of them, it is not my area of expertise.
The Ottawa decision was more a personal decision versus living in Toronto.

circusplaza Oct 15th 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13062097)
It might not be relevant to the question above, but if Siouxie's asked, I'm guessing there's a reason for that and it has a bearing on something.

And I replied :)