Reload this Page >

Working As A Nurse

Working As A Nurse

Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Stretty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working As A Nurse

Hi
I started work as a general nurse in Kamloops BC last week. Got the job via telephone interview and then contacted CRNBC for my temporary registration until I write the exam in June. My pay is unaffected by my temporary registration and in fact only means that I can't be left on the department without anther RN. Professionally I can do everything (and more) that I could in the UK. I applied for PR under the PNP. Hope this helps

Stretty
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

gino_76ph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stretty
Hi
I started work as a general nurse in Kamloops BC last week. Got the job via telephone interview and then contacted CRNBC for my temporary registration until I write the exam in June. My pay is unaffected by my temporary registration and in fact only means that I can't be left on the department without anther RN. Professionally I can do everything (and more) that I could in the UK. I applied for PR under the PNP. Hope this helps

Stretty
would it be possible to know which company/employer/website did you aplied to? i'm trying to apply at Vancouver B.C. and Toronto but after the forums ive sent i came to the conlcusion to 1. wait for a job interview & confirmation before regsitering to the nurse authority on that province and 2. i dunno what's the time scale of waiting and 3. is the CNE nurse exam that "hard"?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:07 am
Just Joined

you need to go through an agency called Healthmatch BC (sorry I can't find the e mail address). I telephoned the hospital direct and spoke to a couple of managers before I was interviewed over the phone. Once I'd got the job I applied for my temporary registration and Healthmatch BC processed my application as a PNP for my permanent residency.
Stretty
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

sorry forgot to answer points 2 and 3. Haven't sat the exam yet so I don't know if it's hard or not. Re time scale I found my registration with CRNBC took a long time as we were back and to-ing with certificates, transcripts, NMC etc. Because of the differences in our training I had to proove that I could do paeds and obstetrics otherwise I would have had to do further training in the UK prior to being accepted for temporary registration. I would advise you to apply for registration asap - you never know what the CRNBC might ask you for in order to be accepted. There is a time limit with their temporary registration but you always have the option of extending that if needed. Good luck.
Stretty
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:29 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One of sobriety. We have Provinces.
Don't mind him. He meant to say "Florida".

R.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:05 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

sorry forgot to answer points 2 and 3. Haven't sat the exam yet so I don't know if it's hard or not. Re time scale I found my registration with CRNBC took a long time as we were back and to-ing with certificates, transcripts, NMC etc. Because of the differences in our training I had to proove that I could do paeds and obstetrics otherwise I would have had to do further training in the UK prior to being accepted for temporary registration. I would advise you to apply for registration asap - you never know what the CRNBC might ask you for in order to be accepted. There is a time limit with their temporary registration but you always have the option of extending that if needed. Good luck.
Stretty
Stretty, how did you convince CRNBC about the paeds and obstetrics? Was it on the basis of incidental experience, or have you spent time practicing in these fields? We spent a couple of years in BC, and my wife ran into the same obstacle when she tried to get her UK quals (gained in 1990) recognised. Extra training in BC was suggested, but it was in Surrey and we were in Victoria.
Andy
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andy
I think I was lucky. Having worked in orthopaedics for most of my career I had always nursed children and neonates so swung it that way. I also had a part time job with an out of hours service where we saw loads of kids as patients. For the obtetrics part I just explained and enhanced my obs experience in my general training.I also explained the changes in nurse education and that as I was a Registered General Nurse, I was permitted to nurse children. I also explained that as an adult nurse in the UK it was extremely difficult to access paeds courses.
Hope this helps
Carole
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Stretty

i can see what you mean. currently the "recruitment" people are not saying they are holding a job for me. i havn't heard from Vancouver yet, the Toronto guys from CNO said they are sending an assessment pack to me and Alberta is on the process of "them waiting for me to send my CV and assessed again" i suppose.

i know on the logistics side (travel, accomodation,etc.) they might provide that but as for me it's a case of "wait and see" who's provinve or authority i will a get a job and apply to.

i've graduated in the Philippines on a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and have worked for 3 years (in total) before settling in the UK last 2002. i have been a trained nurse for 6 years now and have worked in several areas since like an Elderly Care ward, Dermatology ward, a Medical Admissions (where people from A&E come in) ward and currently now working on a Plastic Surgery ward and have been there for 3 years running now. i have various trainings and study days i've took since coming to the UK (including the once-a-year mandatory trainings)

further advice please....
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:16 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gino_76ph
i can see what you mean. currently the "recruitment" people are not saying they are holding a job for me. i havn't heard from Vancouver yet, the Toronto guys from CNO said they are sending an assessment pack to me and Alberta is on the process of "them waiting for me to send my CV and assessed again" i suppose.

i know on the logistics side (travel, accomodation,etc.) they might provide that but as for me it's a case of "wait and see" who's provinve or authority i will a get a job and apply to.

i've graduated in the Philippines on a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and have worked for 3 years (in total) before settling in the UK last 2002. i have been a trained nurse for 6 years now and have worked in several areas since like an Elderly Care ward, Dermatology ward, a Medical Admissions (where people from A&E come in) ward and currently now working on a Plastic Surgery ward and have been there for 3 years running now. i have various trainings and study days i've took since coming to the UK (including the once-a-year mandatory trainings)

further advice please....
I have recently submitted my application with CRNBC - I had major problems with getting transcripts as according to the university they dont keep them over 10 years ( not required by the NMC) so when the CRNBC wanted all the info on how many hours etc i had completed on each area i couldnt give it to them. i sent in everything I had - old transcripts etc and my degree info which was more recent ( 2003) i qualified in 1996. I have been given the go ahead to apply for temp registration now and just need to find employment.

I looked into jobs before being allowed temp registration but evey job i saw or enquired about required that I be eligble for temp registration 'at least' via CRNBC - It took approx 6-8 weeks from submitting my initial applicatiion to CRNBC to being given the Ok to apply for temp registration and sit the exam

dunno if that helps any
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Hi have a job in Abbotsford due to send off for my TWP this week.Have had sleepless nights about the PNP .
BC PNP say healthmatch do it ,they say fraser health do it any ideas and which forms do I need from CIC still in uk at present any help would be great,
Cathy
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:02 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CathynPaul
Hi have a job in Abbotsford due to send off for my TWP this week.Have had sleepless nights about the PNP .
BC PNP say healthmatch do it ,they say fraser health do it any ideas and which forms do I need from CIC still in uk at present any help would be great,
Cathy
Hiya

Did you phone healthmatch?? I think its kind of a collaberated thing, I have heard that all nurses PNP go through healthmatch for approval. I spoke to them very briefly the other day about another issue but in the convo they mentioned PNP and said i would need to get the forms signed by my HR - i presumed they meant the CIC forms for PNP off the CIC website. I presume you send them off to the normal address for the CIC who may reroute them via healthmatch if that makes sense. Either way I would go through normal channels, forms from CIC website for general PNP - sorry cant be more help im one step behind you lol
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Hi ,
Yes phoned last night my employedr is now sending me all the forms I require think things are clearer now!!!!!
Thank you
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:17 am
Just Joined

healthmatch weren't particularly helpful - but I did hound my employer and healthmatch and CRNBC until I was satisfied. I think out of everyone my employer and CRNBC (a named person is important) were of the most help.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

my OH got a job offer before we knew he had to sit exams and such!, well its took us over a year now to get through it all, registering for the exam, the association checking his degree from the university and getting over there to sit the exam and pass, usually an employer wants to know you are registered and what your state of residency is?, needless to say the job offer fell by the wayside and he has now secured another now he has go all the paperwork done! good luck with everything.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tanah
I have recently submitted my application with CRNBC - I had major problems with getting transcripts as according to the university they dont keep them over 10 years ( not required by the NMC) so when the CRNBC wanted all the info on how many hours etc i had completed on each area i couldnt give it to them. i sent in everything I had - old transcripts etc and my degree info which was more recent ( 2003) i qualified in 1996. I have been given the go ahead to apply for temp registration now and just need to find employment.

I looked into jobs before being allowed temp registration but evey job i saw or enquired about required that I be eligble for temp registration 'at least' via CRNBC - It took approx 6-8 weeks from submitting my initial applicatiion to CRNBC to being given the Ok to apply for temp registration and sit the exam

dunno if that helps any
i'm currently tied with Geneva Health UK and they have employers from Edmonton in Alberta so i guess Vancouver is out of the question. i've seen the CARNA website and it says it will take 6 months before an application can be processed. why does it take too long? and does it matter if you put all the hours or not? coz all the hours from my past work experience (Philippines and starting here in the UK in 2002) i simply can't remember all of them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.