Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working As A Nurse

Working As A Nurse

Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

gino_76ph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working As A Nurse

Hi. Good Day! im a british citizen of filipino descent working as a nurse in a big NHS hospital here in London. im currently waiting for an application from an online recruiter of nurses from British Columbia. the advice i want to seek from anyone is:

1. do i need to apply for a nurse registration now or do i wait for my job application?

2. what type of exam do i need to take before i actually work there? or will i be given a "provisional" license to practice?

3. do you need a diferrent license if you are going to practice in a diferrent province or territory?

4. what's the best state to work in?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working As A Nurse

Welcome to the forum.

You might try going back to the forum index and scroll down and you will see a section on Working Abroad by Profession (Nursing). There are nurses that post here but that might catch some more, if you post there too.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gino_76ph
Hi. Good Day! im a british citizen of filipino descent working as a nurse in a big NHS hospital here in London. im currently waiting for an application from an online recruiter of nurses from British Columbia. the advice i want to seek from anyone is:

1. do i need to apply for a nurse registration now or do i wait for my job application?

2. what type of exam do i need to take before i actually work there? or will i be given a "provisional" license to practice?

3. do you need a diferrent license if you are going to practice in a diferrent province or territory?

Depends on which province you really want to work in. Each province will have their own requirements especially for foreign trained nurses and when moving province you will still have to apply to new province before being allowed to work. The exam you need to take is CRNE and is only available 3 times a year in Canada.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I applied for CRNBC check like our NMC before I had my telephone interview they then sent me a lettor of confirmation with salary holidays etc I sent that back they then apply for a labour market opinion which for a nurse always seems to be positive then you send off for your work permit.
If you are applying for TWP and permanent residency I suggest you look at the canadian immigration website it gives you all the details you need police checks whic take 6 weeks ,photos ( had mine done today with family) I have also had to do 2 courses and buy books for them hope this all helps
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,welcome to the forum.
Here is the healthmatch bc link .
http://www.healthmatchbc.org/HMBC_nurses.asp?pageid=658
You can also join another nursing forum called www.allnurses.com
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Hi Gino,

I am also a nurse and just started the process.

You will need to apply for a registeration once you have secured employment with a Candian employer. This takes about six weeks, but whilst doing this you must have your qualifications varified and also your current registeration details sent to the province which you are apply to.

You do need to sit an exam, but in Canada they only have these a few times a year, therefore you can get a licence as a graduate nurse until you have passed your exam, this enables you to practice mean time.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Depends on which province you really want to work in. Each province will have their own requirements especially for foreign trained nurses and when moving province you will still have to apply to new province before being allowed to work. The exam you need to take is CRNE and is only available 3 times a year in Canada.
i'd like to work either in British Columbia (though i heard it's expensive there) and maybe perhaps Alberta.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hi,welcome to the forum.
Here is the healthmatch bc link .
http://www.healthmatchbc.org/HMBC_nurses.asp?pageid=658
You can also join another nursing forum called www.allnurses.com
Hope that helps.
Yoong

ok. thanks very much for the link. ive started inquring and will send my CV soon. i told them that i can start as soon as possible. i just have some more questions off the back of my mind like does every state need a "separate" license,etc. and can i start working in Canada on a "provisional" license to work.

i dunno if my circumstances warrants a "temp work permit" as i'm a british citizen. then again, im not sure of the laws in canada. someone care to shed a light on my queries?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Hi Gino,

I am also a nurse and just started the process.

You will need to apply for a registeration once you have secured employment with a Candian employer. This takes about six weeks, but whilst doing this you must have your qualifications varified and also your current registeration details sent to the province which you are apply to.

You do need to sit an exam, but in Canada they only have these a few times a year, therefore you can get a licence as a graduate nurse until you have passed your exam, this enables you to practice mean time.

Hope this helps a bit.

so basically if i find an employer (and i'm able to satisfy it's requirements, etc.) i can fly in to Canada the next day on a sort of "provisional license" so i can essentially work as a regular nurse but i still need to take the nurse exam in order : 1. to be "officialy recognised" as a nurse and 2. get paid more? and/or 3. get more incentives/benefits as a regular nurse. am i correct?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

One of sobriety. We have Provinces.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

No, I dont think so,

I think you need to wait on the registeration in order to obtain TWP.

Can anybody else correct me if I am giving wrong info.

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Gino,

Threads have overlapped,

yes you need exam to get all those things, but need to give yourself time to go through the proper procedures to even get there.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

so basically if i find an employer (and i'm able to satisfy it's requirements, etc.) i can fly in to Canada the next day on a sort of "provisional license" so i can essentially work as a regular nurse but i still need to take the nurse exam in order : 1. to be "officialy recognised" as a nurse and 2. get paid more? and/or 3. get more incentives/benefits as a regular nurse. am i correct?

You need to contact the licensing body of the province you are interested in, as each province tends to have its own rules and regs.

Take with you a letter, or written confirmation (from your pay office or last employer) of the number of hours you have worked in the UK in the last (7?) years. The pay will be according to that, and you should be able to get the full rate you are entitled to, even whilst working on a restricted license (until you get your exam).

You should be on whatever benefits go with the job too, though often when you start they like to make you "casual" in which case you don't get paid leave and other benefits! Get a permanent contract if you can!!

I'm a physio btw, but I expect nursing is similar!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Spend sometime reading the collective agreements , the wages are listed
in the green book,hopefully that will answer your questions about benefits.

http://www.bcnu.org/contracts_servic...A2006-2010.pdf
Yoong
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

You should just read the WIKI on nursing http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada as this answers all your questions and gives you the appropriate links to the regulatory bodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.