Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in Canada for an employer based overseas - visa and tax questions

Working in Canada for an employer based overseas - visa and tax questions

Old May 31st 2011, 9:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in Canada for an employer based overseas - visa and tax questions

Hypothetical question, basically if someone were to reside in Canada but work freelance for employers based in another country and be paid in that other country are there any legal barriers to this in terms of immigration and tax?

Would a work permit be needed and would any earnings need to be declared on a Canadian tax return?
Old May 31st 2011, 10:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Canada for an employer based overseas - visa and tax questions

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Hypothetical question, basically if someone were to reside in Canada but work freelance for employers based in another country and be paid in that other country are there any legal barriers to this in terms of immigration and tax?

Would a work permit be needed and would any earnings need to be declared on a Canadian tax return?
Yes and yes. You can't work in Canada and reside here without a work visa.

Souvy (a PR or perhaps citizen by now) who is employed by a UK entity can amplify.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Canada for an employer based overseas - visa and tax questions

AFAIK, you should confirm this but I don't contradict Novo lightly, you can be in Canada on a visitor's visa and work remotely for a foreign employer as long as you are not taking a job that a Canadian Citizen/PR would otherwise have. Of course, you would have to leave when your visitor's visa expires.

For tax you are probably OK if you stay in Canada for less than six months in any calendar year. If you stay longer, and you cannot demonstrate that you are tax resident in a treaty county, you could be deemed resident for tax purposes and your whole income for the year becomes taxable in Canada.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
AFAIK, you should confirm this but I don't contradict Novo lightly, you can be in Canada on a visitor's visa and work remotely for a foreign employer as long as you are not taking a job that a Canadian Citizen/PR would otherwise have. Of course, you would have to leave when your visitor's visa expires.

For tax you are probably OK if you stay in Canada for less than six months in any calendar year. If you stay longer, and you cannot demonstrate that you are tax resident in a treaty county, you could be deemed resident for tax purposes and your whole income for the year becomes taxable in Canada.
. It's the other way around mate. But I didn't get the impression that the OP was interested in a short term arrangement.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, it's not actually for me as such, it's for my gf. Her WP expires before mine but she would be accompanying me and then potentially working remotely for some employers based in Asia.

I thought that it would probably be OK but I just wanted to check to make sure that we wouldn't be doing anything dodgy.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:43 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say ask CIC directly but I did post a note regarding some professional advice I'd received on this matter a while ago (which wasn't/hasn't been contested): http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8378016

Thanks guys, it's not actually for me as such, it's for my gf. Her WP expires before mine but she would be accompanying me and then potentially working remotely for some employers based in Asia.

I thought that it would probably be OK but I just wanted to check to make sure that we wouldn't be doing anything dodgy.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:14 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I'd say ask CIC directly but I did post a note regarding some professional advice I'd received on this matter a while ago (which wasn't/hasn't been contested): http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8378016
Thanks. Going from your information there it sounds like it should be fine. I think the indication so far is that she would employed mostly by Japanese firms and paid in Yen to a foreign bank account.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

This might be more of a problem for tax.

I understand from your previous posts that you were together in the UK for some time before coming to Canada and live as common law spouses. Do you know what her tax status was in the UK? Presumably she is no longer tax resident in Japan.

A WHV holder is taxed in Canada as a resident for the duration of the visa. Once the visa is over they return to their country and become tax-resident there. The problem if your OH does not return to the UK (or Japan) to re-establish her tax-residency there she will be deemed as tax-resident in Canada if she exceeds 183 in Canada days in a Calendar year.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:46 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes and yes. You can't work in Canada and reside here without a work visa.

Souvy (a PR or perhaps citizen by now) who is employed by a UK entity can amplify.
Oi!

It's been nearly six years since I swore at a judge.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:26 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Souvy
Oi!

It's been nearly six years since I swore at a judge.
Ah yes, memory like a geriatric elephant I have.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Coupled with the shit teeth, I don't think your missus needs to worry too much about your running off with your secretary.

More importantly, how pleased are you that Winnipeg will shortly have a NHL iced hockey team? I'm sure you've been following this story.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Coupled with the shit teeth, I don't think your missus needs to worry too much about your running off with your secretary.

More importantly, how pleased are you that Winnipeg will shortly have a NHL iced hockey team? I'm sure you've been following this story.
Don't they have one already? I think they're called the Jets.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:00 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't they have one already? I think they're called the Jets.
That was 15 years ago. The NHL franchise got sold south of the border.

Quite a few of the more southern US franchises are struggling. This will not be the only sale, I reckon. Quebec City really, really, really wants a team again. Thompson (who has ponied up for the Winnipeg deal) will be watching closely. If Winnipeg can get bums on seats, Quebec City is a no-brainer.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Eh? Memory what's that?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:03 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This might be more of a problem for tax.

I understand from your previous posts that you were together in the UK for some time before coming to Canada and live as common law spouses. Do you know what her tax status was in the UK? Presumably she is no longer tax resident in Japan.

A WHV holder is taxed in Canada as a resident for the duration of the visa. Once the visa is over they return to their country and become tax-resident there. The problem if your OH does not return to the UK (or Japan) to re-establish her tax-residency there she will be deemed as tax-resident in Canada if she exceeds 183 in Canada days in a Calendar year.
When she left Japan she was still a teenager but she removed herself from the ward register just before departure, a legal requirement for anybody leaving Japan for more than six months. It's kind of an alien concept for westerners but basically that means that she isn't liable for any kind of tax in Japan but at the same time isn't entitled to use their Medicare system as well as being ineligible for any benefits, like what happens when we leave the UK for a longer period of time. Whenever we have travelled there since she left she actually just uses UK travel insurance now like I do.

In the UK she was just a student until a few months before we left when she was granted temporary leave to remain as a common law partner with full working rights but no public funds recourse. She was paying income tax there whilst working but never claimed or received anything back in return other than NHS entitlement.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jun 1st 2011 at 3:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.