Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in calgary as cladder

Working in calgary as cladder

Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Working in calgary as cladder

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've regularly worked at -20 with windchill on top, operating machinery for hours on end and not suffered. The principal is the same.

You're obviously not talking from any experience if a childish comeback is all you can offer.
aw sorry mate

point i was trying to make that -40oC in Calgary is not same as -20oC in Kamloops - working machinery and being outside and at elevation

if you're in UK you have no concept of how cold it can get here

did you drive a tractor ?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
aw sorry mate

point i was trying to make that -40oC in Calgary is not same as -20oC in Kamloops - working machinery and being outside and at elevation

Open cab tractor and other various farm machinery, from 4am onwards. I've erected steel structures in the winter, dealt with frozen water lines and wherever else broke, froze or needed repair.

Yes, Calgary can get colder than Kamloops, but I stand by the premise that decent clothing makes life bearable through the winter. Life doesn't stop for some cold.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:17 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

aw sorry mate

Thats not all the time though, we've probably had a few days this year (and some last) that were minus 30 (then the windchill) - irrespective, it's all doable - it's when your tools and machinery start to malfunction thats the problem - not the operator
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:46 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I've climbed mountains on a few continents and some I wouldn't have done in a pair of shorts.

Dress for the occasion.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:26 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta love the way people throw out the -40Ā°C card.

Last time it was -40Ā°C in Calgary was January 1997.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by graham from yorkshire
Yeah got to wear steel toed boots, so wanting some warm ones.
Also, I hear carharrt work wear is good, especially, carharrt arctic coveralls.
Work outside all winter? To be avoided if possible. Lungs might have a bit of a hard time depending on the exertion levels. Other than that dexterity becomes a problem with your deer skin or other thermal gloves. All the layers make it tough just to bend over to pick up a pencil. I did it for 3 yrs down to 35 below. Not the end of the world but I would avoid manual work in these temps on my next trip. Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:01 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Gotta love the way people throw out the -40Ā°C card.

Last time it was -40Ā°C in Calgary was January 1997.
okay -30oc then

point am trying to make is if you're thinking of applying from UK and used to cladding in even the most extreme of yorkshire winter - what you may find here is too much - see post above

appreciate some people fancy themselves as ranulph fiennes/shackleton/scott etc

it's all just numbers until you've been out in it
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:13 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgo
Work outside all winter? To be avoided if possible. Lungs might have a bit of a hard time depending on the exertion levels. Other than that dexterity becomes a problem with your deer skin or other thermal gloves. All the layers make it tough just to bend over to pick up a pencil. I did it for 3 yrs down to 35 below. Not the end of the world but I would avoid manual work in these temps on my next trip. Good luck

Then an entry level rig position is definitely not for you.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Then an entry level rig position is definitely not for you.
I agree but the point is I am willing to start over and work my way up within that sector. I am very interested in the drilling MWD side of the industry.

Anyhow we are all moving back out on the 13th of June. We will make it work this time.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clay
I worked outside this winter..minus34. No big problem if you have the right gear on.
Dakota do a winter boot there 300 $ clothing.. Hello Hanson, u will get it all out here..
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Don't be put of with the cold.. It's okay really.. I like it...lol
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clay
Don't be put of with the cold.. It's okay really.. I like it...lol
Is the cold realy that bad. I work year round out side in UK, but never get cold enough to wear thicker clothing,
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Is the cold realy that bad. I work year round out side in UK, but never get cold enough to wear thicker clothing,
Obviously theres a big difference between canada cold and our cold but i reckon you'll be fine with the right clothing
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not going to be like the UK, thats for sure.

Some people deal with it, others dont. When the suns out its quite pleasant, when the winds blowing, well, not so much...

Ive been surprised what I can do in the depths of the Ontario winter, but I always look at the buggers working outside on the building outside my office window in the snow or when its -25C and blowing and I say a little thankyou that Im not one of them....

The main thing that would suck if trying to do fiddly dextrous work that requires thin or no gloves I would guess.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Obviously theres a big difference between canada cold and our cold but i reckon you'll be fine with the right clothing
Would be good driving a digger with the heater on over there. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.