Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in Calgary

Working in Calgary

Old Jul 23rd 2022, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

ComingToCalgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Calgary

Good Afternoon (good morning if you’re in Canada 😊)

Myself and my family are due to fly out to Calgary at the end of August with an internal transfer for my Husbands job.

My Husband will continue in his role and as part of the relocation package, I have been provided with a work permit. Here’s the issue. I didn’t finish secondary school in the U.K. so have no GCSE’s or further education. Without going into detail, this was due to personal reasons and though I completed school until 16, I didn’t actually attend any of the exams. This is something that Canadian companies don’t seem to favour (understandably).
In the U.K. I have always worked in middle management office roles and have over 12 years of experience to bring with me but that seems fruitless if I don’t have any certifications. It’s a little different in the U.K. where experience can be taken over academia, in certain roles.

I am worried I will be somewhat unemployable in Canada due to this.

Has anyone been in this position or can offer any advice? I don’t “need” to work for the financial aspect but I do need to work for my own sanity, my own income and as a way to build connections. I’m pretty worried about this and feel it is overshadowing the move itself.

All advice welcomed.
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Calgary

Originally Posted by ComingToCalgary
Good Afternoon (good morning if you’re in Canada 😊)

Myself and my family are due to fly out to Calgary at the end of August with an internal transfer for my Husbands job.

My Husband will continue in his role and as part of the relocation package, I have been provided with a work permit. Here’s the issue. I didn’t finish secondary school in the U.K. so have no GCSE’s or further education. Without going into detail, this was due to personal reasons and though I completed school until 16, I didn’t actually attend any of the exams. This is something that Canadian companies don’t seem to favour (understandably).
In the U.K. I have always worked in middle management office roles and have over 12 years of experience to bring with me but that seems fruitless if I don’t have any certifications. It’s a little different in the U.K. where experience can be taken over academia, in certain roles.

I am worried I will be somewhat unemployable in Canada due to this.

Has anyone been in this position or can offer any advice? I don’t “need” to work for the financial aspect but I do need to work for my own sanity, my own income and as a way to build connections. I’m pretty worried about this and feel it is overshadowing the move itself.

All advice welcomed.
I haven’t been in the same position but I suspect the job market has changed so much here in Canada over the last couple of years, as elsewhere, that your lack of qualifications will not be the obstacle it once was. I really wouldn’t lose sleep over it and allow your worries to overcome everything else.
If nothing else, there are many more volunteer and community groups looking for help that you may be able to find personal fulfillment in a different role. Remember that no one knows your background and what you’re capable of, so it can be a refreshing start to your future.
Old Jul 24th 2022, 9:31 am
Just Joined

ComingToCalgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I haven’t been in the same position but I suspect the job market has changed so much here in Canada over the last couple of years, as elsewhere, that your lack of qualifications will not be the obstacle it once was. I really wouldn’t lose sleep over it and allow your worries to overcome everything else.
If nothing else, there are many more volunteer and community groups looking for help that you may be able to find personal fulfillment in a different role. Remember that no one knows your background and what you’re capable of, so it can be a refreshing start to your future.

Thanks Twitcher that’s good to know. I think it’s just a worry as working is important to me so I would hate to be in a position where I couldn’t work.
Are you in Calgary too?
Old Jul 24th 2022, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ComingToCalgary
Thanks Twitcher that’s good to know. I think it’s just a worry as working is important to me so I would hate to be in a position where I couldn’t work.
Are you in Calgary too?
I’m not - I’m closer to Toronto. When I first came here in 2010, I didn’t work the first couple of years as the kids were settling in to school etc.
When I did start considering work, I started at a local Tim Hortons which at that time employed a large number of 40-65 year olds on the Monday- Friday shifts. It was a great friendly working environment then, although very busy and surprisingly stressful. That’s changed over the years, in that the workforce makeup has got much younger, and I no longer work there, although I still know and chat with many locals who know me from there.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I work in Calgary. While Canadians elsewhere appear to require a piece of paper that states that you know how to use a toilet before they will allow you to use an employer's toilet, that hasn't been the case from my experience of working in Calgary. Sure, they would prefer you to have the piece of paper, but you if you are able to do the work, the lack of a piece of paper will not prevent you from doing so, particularly in the current job market here.