work problems

Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mo Cassidy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work problems

Hi, I have been in Alberta for almost a year now, I have 30 years experience in construction, the only things I don't do are Gas and Electrical, I do absolutely everything else.
I have begun to look for work,seeing as my skills are in demand, I talked to two Framing Companies, they are desperate for workers, and the more I look the more I see page after page of construction companies really desperate for workers, they have even lowered their standards from "Must be experienced" to "Can you speak English and use a hammer!!" Week after week these companies continue to advertise, now I see, "Construction workers needed,we will train you!!" What?
I have applied for about 45/50 jobs,all within my area of skills, I do explain that I need the job offer and the LMO, No replies! not one reply!
No wonder there continues to be a desperate shortage of skilled workers in Alberta, my message to those employers is " HELLO!!! there are no Canadians out there to fill the vacancy" What are they waiting for? Canadian children to become of age?
It is rediculous, page after page of work and none of these companies can be bothered to take action and fix the problem.
If it wasn't so serious a problem it would be laughable.
Skilled people are not going to drop out of the sky, yet these companies continue to hope and lower their standards for workers,
What a crazy world we live in, The skilled Canadian guys are going to the Oil fields where wages are higher, so this starves the construction industry of workers even more.
To work, you need the Labour Market Opinion certificate, and then the permit, But the Employers out there are very reluctant to go into that area, why? lazy? can't be bothered? or are they secretly taking on none legal labour? who knows, but the fact remains, if you think you can walk in and get some employer to arrange the LMO for you, as desperate as he makes out he is, from my experience, it isn't going to happen, what a stupid situation.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work problems

Hi

Originally Posted by Mo Cassidy
Hi, I have been in Alberta for almost a year now, I have 30 years experience in construction, the only things I don't do are Gas and Electrical, I do absolutely everything else.
I have begun to look for work,seeing as my skills are in demand, I talked to two Framing Companies, they are desperate for workers, and the more I look the more I see page after page of construction companies really desperate for workers, they have even lowered their standards from "Must be experienced" to "Can you speak English and use a hammer!!" Week after week these companies continue to advertise, now I see, "Construction workers needed,we will train you!!" What?
I have applied for about 45/50 jobs,all within my area of skills, I do explain that I need the job offer and the LMO, No replies! not one reply!
No wonder there continues to be a desperate shortage of skilled workers in Alberta, my message to those employers is " HELLO!!! there are no Canadians out there to fill the vacancy" What are they waiting for? Canadian children to become of age?
It is rediculous, page after page of work and none of these companies can be bothered to take action and fix the problem.
Skilled people are not going to drop out of the sky, yet these companies continue to hope and lower their standards for workers,
What a crazy world we live in, The skilled Canadian guys are going to the Oil fields where wages are higher, so this starves the construction industry of workers even more.
To work, you need the Labour Market Opinion certificate, and then the permit, But the Employers out there are very reluctant to go into that area, why? lazy? can't be bothered? or are they secretly taking on none legal labour? who knows, but the fact remains, if you think you can walk in and get some employer to arrange the LMO for you, as desperate as he makes out he is, from my experience, it isn't going to happen, what a stupid situation.

1. Well they have to advertise the position for 4 weeks on the job bank plus 2 other then publications. Then they pay $275 to ESDC and demonstrate that there are no Canadians/PRs available for the position and that you are the most qualified for the position. Then wait 8-16 weeks for a response.
2. Are they really going to wait 3-5 months for someone to bang nails?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mo Cassidy
So why not take advantage of the Alberta Temporary Foreign Worker Pilot project? Carpenters are on the list because it's an in demand occupation. If you can get your approval letter from AIT for the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program, no LMO is required. You could look into getting certified using your experience: http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/exper...icate-program/

https://www.albertacanada.com/files/...steam-pipe.pdf

https://www.albertacanada.com/opport...n-workers.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 14th 2014 at 2:50 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Mo Cassidy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thankyou, that is very useful information, I have actually been in Construction for over 40 years, having had my own UK building firm. I notice in Canada they have guys do the framing, then a guy does the drywall, then another guy does the taping and mudding, then the Painter calls.
in the UK, I framed,drywalled,taped and plastered,then painted, I also did roofwork,chimneys,Loft Conversions,brickwork,stone,plumbing,flooring, bathrooms and kitchens, the only work we didn't do was Gas and Electrical, we covered everything else. I didn't just "bang nails" I'm fully fit, but who knows how long that will last, but in the mean time, i could work,i could train young guys, i can be of some use surely, it would be a shame to not share the knowledge I have before I get too old and forget what my own name is.
It just sounds logical to me, the older generation teach the young, I have sent an email to the department above to see what they think,