Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Dantankieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Hi there I am at my wits end and stuck, lost, don't know what to do.

First off I served 12 years in Germany (British Army), I left the army and was a truck driver based in Germany for the last two years. I left 5 weeks ago after a bad break up with my Fiancee jumping on a plane and flying out here to be near my family who moved here in 07.

I have job offers but now this is where the problems start. I will not receive a reference from my previous employer due to the fact he was her uncle, I have nothing with a proof of address for where I used to live and this is stopping me getting a criminal record check as I need proof of address. I have emailed both German and British police forces 3 times now but not getting any response. My passport is British but my drivers licence is German can this cause problems too??

I have nowhere to go back to and no family in the UK that can help me as there here in Canada. Can anyone help at all I just feel like I am fighting a loosing battle.

Thanks in advance Dan
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Given that you last lived in Germany, I can't see how having a German DL is a problem. I don't see how the UK enters into it given your long residence in Germany, you need the background check done in Germany. Can you even apply from abroad? You should do it from the perspective of a German applying for a work permit.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I have looked into it and it seems it is easier to get a CRB check from Germany than the UK as I don't need to supply addresses ?? My DL isn't a problem spoke to 3 companies I have applied to thats what there saying. I love Canada and I ain't giving up on this I just wondered if anyone else has been through this sort of situation before and knew an easier way around it. Now to try and get a reference but I know for a fact they don't give any in Germany.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing you need for a work permit is a job offer and LMO.

Or is the employers that are asking for a police cert?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 11:35 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

When I needed a criminal check for secret clearance in Canada the authorities here in Canada did all the work and contacted the police in Holland - the last country I lived in, in Europe. Are you sure you must do this yourself?
Also in Germany, the authorities must know where you lived because you normally have to register at the local Rathaus (assuming you did).

For the driving license - when I came here I had a UK passport and a Dutch driving license and it was no problem getting an Ontario one. Should be even easier now as you likely don't have to take the G test any more.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Yeah registered at the Rathaus still registered there now. Would you recommend telling the people who are offering me jobs if they want it to do it themselves? Also a big transport group told me I had to get a drugs test myself and a driving examination too ?? it sounds all a bit sketchy to me. But a bit more reasonable than H&R as they wanted me to pay for EVERYTHING myself DL the lot.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 12:38 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't 'tell' the people offering jobs, I would ask them if they normally would take care of it and if not then get precise details of what you must get and who to contact. For the driving examination find out what they require. Is it just a standard provincial driving license they want? You'll likely want to get that anyway if you're to live here.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 12:42 am
Just Joined

It was just so I can prove I can drive a Semi I think before I go for my full class 1 which I have
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dantankieman
Yeah registered at the Rathaus still registered there now. Would you recommend telling the people who are offering me jobs if they want it to do it themselves? Also a big transport group told me I had to get a drugs test myself and a driving examination too ?? it sounds all a bit sketchy to me. But a bit more reasonable than H&R as they wanted me to pay for EVERYTHING myself DL the lot.
Theres not many companies willing to pay for your training etc,I had pay for everything .At one time Bison were charging (thru lawyers) $10,000 to foreign drivers for training ,PNP & PR applications etc. but the government put a stop to that.I maybe wrong but I think H&R take the training costs etc out of you pay for a yr.Have you tried Bison they have a similiar recruitment program.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Got a reply from bison I do not match there criteria after just one email asking if they have any vacancies so kinda frustrated I called they said only employing far east workers not European!!!!!! So i called H&R spoke to them asked them the same question yes but all training has to be paid for they don't pay nothing even out of pay? waiting on a few calls back now looking like I might go down the anything for a LMO job or just stay here without doing the cross border runs which is what requires the full background checks can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:05 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked in the truck drivers forum? There's been a few threads on H&R
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dantankieman
Got a reply from bison I do not match there criteria after just one email asking if they have any vacancies so kinda frustrated I called they said only employing far east workers not European!!!!!! So i called H&R spoke to them asked them the same question yes but all training has to be paid for they don't pay nothing even out of pay? waiting on a few calls back now looking like I might go down the anything for a LMO job or just stay here without doing the cross border runs which is what requires the full background checks can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?
That doesnt sound right with Bison,they cant discriminate like that.I met a british driver last Sept. in Calgary who was taking the training program with Bison on a LMO.Which terminal did you call,do you know who you spoke to?I would suggest calling the head office in Winnipeg.You might want to try Westcan Bulk ,I know they do LMOs and dont cross border .Another to try is Manitoulin Transport Group,a driver from AB told me they did LMOs too.I spoke with a Brit driver on this site and he recently gained his Canadian truck license in Red Deer,his username is stoney46 ,maybe send him a private message,he was looking for companies with LMOs in AB also.I also gave him this website http://www.ilabour-market.com/ ,it maybe helpful.I would suggest doing the same as he did,pay for the driver training course and license yourself,then you will have more options on companies and probably get them more interested in you.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
That doesnt sound right with Bison,they cant discriminate like that.I met a british driver last Sept. in Calgary who was taking the training program with Bison on a LMO.Which terminal did you call,do you know who you spoke to?I would suggest calling the head office in Winnipeg.You might want to try Westcan Bulk ,I know they do LMOs and dont cross border .Another to try is Manitoulin Transport Group,a driver from AB told me they did LMOs too.I spoke with a Brit driver on this site and he recently gained his Canadian truck license in Red Deer,his username is stoney46 ,maybe send him a private message,he was looking for companies with LMOs in AB also.I also gave him this website http://www.ilabour-market.com/ ,it maybe helpful.I would suggest doing the same as he did,pay for the driver training course and license yourself,then you will have more options on companies and probably get them more interested in you.
Is there actually a shortage of truck drivers in Canada where companies need to bring in workers from elsewhere?

I would never have thought it would be a profession hard to fill domestically.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is there actually a shortage of truck drivers in Canada where companies need to bring in workers from elsewhere?

I would never have thought it would be a profession hard to fill domestically.
Yes there is a big shortage of truck drivers in Canada.Recent estimates are 15,000 and the governtment think due to drivers retiring there will be in 4 or 5 yrs time a shortage of 30,000 drivers.I came to Canada from Scotland and have met drivers from UK,Ireland,NZ,Australia,Russia,Ukaine,Germany,Indi a and there is a company in Winnipeg now recruiting drivers from Jamiaca.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have relevant experience but can't seem to find any companies who have lmo's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.