Reload this Page >

Work permit with "location" restriction

Work permit with "location" restriction

Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:05 am
Just Joined

AlexisT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit with "location" restriction

Hi there,

I just recently received my Post-graduate work permit. Unfortunately i noticed that I am not authorized to work in any location other than the one specified. My company however requires me to travel frequently to many locations across Canada and the US. This however was not stated in the letter of offer that i submitted to CIC.

The company now wants to start sending me on trips in the next couple of weeks and the backlog at CIC is over 2.5 months! I know that I need to change the conditions of my work permit but I doubt that the company will be willing to wait that long.

Is there any workaround for this? Or do I need to go through the application process again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Tinpusher is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not 100% sure, but if you're employed by a company in, say Toronto and do most of your work there, you'll be OK. If you're going to be working elsewhere for a prolonged period, then I'd be wary.
My permit says I can only work in TO, but I had to spend a few weeks elsewhere as part of my job and didn't even give it a thought...until now!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

As you can probably tell I'm in the States so wouldn't be an expert on this but my feeling is that it could be similar to the H1B in the States. For instance my husband is employed to work for one company only which is based in Tennessee - he however has had to travel to LA, Las Vegas and Germany for weeks at a time but is OK to do as he is still employed by the Nashville company and his normal place of residence is still in Nashville so it's within the rules. I guess you're OK to work in other places as long as your employer still remains in Toronto and your 'normal' place of work and residence is in the area stated. Just my subjective opinion though so hope it's about right!!