Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any expat nurses out there?

Any expat nurses out there?

Old Sep 30th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

mal3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any expat nurses out there?

My husband and I are both registered nurses in the UK(me in NICU & him in management). We are presently looking into emigrating to Canada, and really need some advice on where to start looking and what procedures we need to follow to be allowed to practice in Canada.

We are also hoping to hear of others peoples experiences of living and working in Canada, particularly about differences in working practices, pay and conditions etc.

We have a baby son, so want to do as much research as we can before we take the plunge.

Sorry for all the ???, but thanks if you can help,

mal xx
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Vern is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry

Don't bother with Quebec, despite the dire need for good nurses in Montreal that can provide the poor English speaking majority of Montreal west island with quality nursing care. I'll spare you the crap that my wife had to suffer from the incompetant and obstructive OIIQ nursing body in Quebec.
We lived in Quebec for around 18 months and eventually she drove to Ottowa and took the CNATs exam which a boy scout with a first aid badge could easily pass. This allowed her to register with the Ontario college of nurses. She then got loads of job offers and eventually we decided on Calgary. Bonzer place with good skiing.
Anyway, for her, pay is good. Hours reasonably flexible. Only problem is that jobs go on seniority not always intelligence.

Need any specific info, just reply and she'll fill you in.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

mal3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vern,

Thanks so much for replying. I'd be really grateful if your wife could give us some more information on the CNAT exam, and how to apply to take it. Can you sit it in the UK do you know?

Also, do you know of the best way to access vacancies and to secure employment before leaving the UK?

Thanks again,

mal
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mal,

this is verns wife. I have created a hotmail account at

[email protected]

you can mail me there and i can chat and give you as much info as i can. I sat the CNAT. I work as a RN in Alberta and have some good web sites and contacts for you. Mail me on above and we can go form there.
bye.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Vern
Hi Mal,

this is verns wife. I have created a hotmail account at

[email protected]
its krisunderscore as the underline cuts out the underscore

you can mail me there and i can chat and give you as much info as i can. I sat the CNAT. I work as a RN in Alberta and have some good web sites and contacts for you. Mail me on above and we can go form there.
bye.